Leaving cell phone plugged in all night.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
That's the key word. It's the same thing that I do.

I used to do that, but my Titan has such good battery life that I only need to charge it around an hour every night. Basically I'll start off with 95%-100%, then after 24 hours I'll be around 50%-70% depending on how much I used the phone. Then I charge it for around an hour, and it'll be 90%-95% charged, and that's more than enough charge to last me the day.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Exactly, but being at 100% and continuing to charge it, reduces that. So for example, if you battery has 100 cycles before it craps out or starts to... continuing to charge it will help get it there faster than not charging all the way.

If I can find this podcast I listened to about this, from a battery expert, I'd post it up. Good info on that.

/me heads to find the podcast

The software prevents the phone from continuing to charge after it's full. This is why you can't have it off while charging.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Besides which, if I didn't charge my HD7 at night it'd be useless. I don't think it would last more than 20 hours if I didn't touch it at all. I can kill it in 3 hours if I game or surf hard.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I take off my laptop battery if I'm going to work with it plugged in.

As for my phone... well, I figure I'll have a new phone by the time this battery dies.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I take off my laptop battery if I'm going to work with it plugged in.

As for my phone... well, I figure I'll have a new phone by the time this battery dies.

Isn't that a bad thing for electronic devices? Devices are designed with batteries in mind and removing it could overload the hardware. Or so I've read.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Isn't that a bad thing for electronic devices? Devices are designed with batteries in mind and removing it could overload the hardware. Or so I've read.

I suppose that's very possible.

My laptop's screen did just go black and stop working. hmm...

I just got it repaired yesterday.

Maybe I should keep that battery in there. lol

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
You only run into issues with laptop batteries when you leave it plugged in like a desktop for weeks and months on end, which I know a lot of people have done and still do. I tell them to take it off the charger once or twice a week and run it down. It's worked for a few years for my mom.

My phones always get an overnight charge. My old Motorola did it for 4 years and never had issues.

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I charge mine overnight, sometimes it stays plugged in until I wake up. I don't worry about the charging process, as I never make the day on a single charge. Sometimes I let the battery run down until I get the critical battery warning.
Other times like as I type this, my battery was at 18% so I plugged it in. Once fully charged I will wait until tomorrow.
Also my cell is my primary phone, so I need to keep it charged at all times.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
The software prevents the phone from continuing to charge after it's full. This is why you can't have it off while charging.

I doubt it. That's usually actually controlled by the charger. I'm thinking it has more to do with syncing or something. They probably want your information to always be up to date or something.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I plug in and fully charge my Focus every night. When I ocassionally forget, I pop in one of my cheap spares in the morning and charge the OEM battery all day in the charger that came with my spares.

I also charge my camera batteries to full regularly.

Large notebook (or other) batteries that heat up when charged from zero to full will deteriorate from the heat, not from charging it to full: such batteries will deteriorate less quickly when charged for lesser-heat-producing periods. The battery on my current notebook does not heat up much and I charge it to full, from wherever, regularly.

Last edited:

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Well that's at least not entirely true. I'm using a Nexus One with stock Android system. I can charge it with the phone on or off with no difference.

ios does it but you can still turn the device off. Some android devices do it because of a bug. Motorola was one of them. Last I heard they were still trying to fix it but im not sure.

Thizzled

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Leaving things plugged in?

Well most phones and laptops run on lithium battery's now, so it comes to the way they are made:
The battery will break if it runs all the way out of power so the device its in usually will shut down by its self before it dies all the way, if it don't the battery has a shut off safety in it too.
A battery will last so many cycles before it breaks down, a cycle is running it all the way down and then charging it all the way full, each time it happens you used a cycle and the cells in it get build up and its in the way of the next full charge so over time it last less and less.
The plug changes the power from ac to dc (house power to battery power) so the charger is really in the phone or laptop.
The charger shuts off when the battery is full, and when the power drops to a point (lets say 90-95%) of full battery the charger turns back on for a bit to top off the battery again so its not charging the whole time.
What hurts the battery most is heat which almost all of comes from the device not the charger or battery.
The worst thing to do is charge the battery when hot or really cold (should be luke-warm) charging a hot battery cost you cycles meaning it will last for less time next charge
You will hear it said its good to run it all the way down and full once a month or at some point, that's not true its bad for the battery but still recommended because we can not build a phone smart enough to know how full the battery is so the battery bar is a guess based on last time you filled the battery and ran it out. So with a new phone if you do that you damage the battery but make the battery bar more accurate. So I would not do it unless you battery bar is lying to you about how much is left.
Now here's the kicker: Do you want a battery that stays charged a long time?
You have a choice to make, for the battery is happy at a half charge so if you don't want to replace your battery and want it to hold a charge the longest you will unplug it when its 75% full and plug it back in at 25%
Think of it like breathing. When its at 50% charged it normal like your breathing now, but when full its like breathing fast and empty its like holding your breath. you can do it but its puts stress on you so you cant do it all the time. Your battery is the same if its always full it puts stress on it slowly killing cycles off and reducing battery life even if its not plugged in.

Hope this helped and this is for a lithium battery, lead and nickel are different if you need more info all the way down to battery type, size, power, amps, ect. Try to google Battery university and do read the comments they will help you understand the graphs and all if you don't at first

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster