Leaving cell phone plugged in all night.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It's fine, unless you have a really old phone with an old tech battery.

Nokia actually put out some "cell phone myths" thing recently that mentioned the myth about charging batteries too long or too often. It was true years ago, but not in the past few years.

L

lumic

Even if it did deteriorate the battery slightly, it's a small price to pay for convenience.

Last edited:

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Charge as often as possible and definitely before it runs flat. Li-Ion is designed to be charged on and off.

As for leaving it in. The actual charge process is disabled by the software once it reaches full charge.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Actually li-on battery's should avoid full charge.... Check out my signature .. In the thread I have multy links regarding Battery's by MS.

Sent from my SGH-i917R using Board Express

Matthew Mazzenga

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Overnight is pretty much the only time I charge my phone. Plug it in at night, and in the morning, me and my phone are fresh and ready to face the world! :)

Well, at least my phone is. :\

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Actually li-on battery's should avoid full charge.... Check out my signature .. In the thread I have multy links regarding Battery's by MS.

Sent from my SGH-i917R using Board Express

To clarify this missing information statement. Leaving it plugged in will not matter. How the battery is charged is set by the manufacturer which is why your phones turn on when you charge them. Also, some li-on batteries do need to be discharged fully periodically to calibrate them.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I plug mine in so I can do wifi stuff with Zune (and podcasts). Technically the best thing for Li-Ion is to avoid deep discharges and full charges. If you could run it somewhere between 30% and 80% that would last the longest. But there's no way to do that conveniently so I just plug 'er in every night without thinking twice.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Even if charging overnight all night kills the battery, they're cheap to replace now. I think you can get a new one for $30-$40 depending on the phone.

I do believe this issue is a myth with modern battery technology.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
We just got lithium powered drills at work. The real odd thing I noticed about them is they stay at 100% power until they die. They're not like the old nickel cadmium batteries that slow down as the charge gets lower.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss