WP7 "gaps"

firepromaster

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
does the phone right now do this on its own? if it does show me and I will stop informing people that an app adds working mass storage functionality at a cost of money.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
1. No manual configuration of the 802.11x IP addresses - Kind of surprised I couldn't do this as it seems fairly simple to implement a screen to set this information. Probably a little over paranoid, but use a hidden WPA network without DHCP. Ended up just creating an IP reservation for my Trophy's MAC address to get around this.

I'm pretty sure I've seen all these manual settings somewhere before. Maybe long press the connected SSID and see what happens?

4. Apps closing by themselves - Does WP7 have a limit on how many apps it can have open at one time? I would have thought that with 512 MB of RAM I could have more than 4 or so 1 MB applications open at a time. However, it seems that eventually the apps close out even though I don't exit them (hit the window key, not the back button).

I thought you could access more if you hit back a bunch of times. This means you'll clear out everything that was open to find out, so maybe not that useful. And I may be wrong. I just thought I saw something that wasn't displayed in the multitasking screen, after hitting back a bunch of times.

firepromaster

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
what if I want to copy a large file over 100 Mb immediately. say some home movies or music projects ,sky drive is limiting. i use skydrive. I like it. Some people want this specific function on there phone without the need for a thumbdrive. I have it just because I might need it.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
what if I want to copy a large file over 100 Mb immediately. say some home movies or music projects ,sky drive is limiting. i use skydrive. I like it. Some people want this specific function on there phone without the need for a thumbdrive. I have it just because I might need it.

So you are going to remotely copy 100 mb files to your phone immediately? Anyway, if you MUST spend money I would go with something less shady. SMEStorage :: SMEStorage Cloud File Manager for Windows Phone 7

firepromaster

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
it works and its 3.99. Its not 399.99 your not exactly spending your nest egg on the app. I wish to copy my 2 gig home movie to my thumbdrive, oh wait I forgot it. Hey I have my Samsung focus with a micro sd card that has 20 free gigs!! Ok I'll slap the files on with remote drive because it does work. Go to my girlfriends house and copy the file to her PC so she can enjoy my movie!!

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
it works and its 3.99. Its not 399.99 your not exactly spending your nest egg on the app. I wish to copy my 2 gig home movie to my thumbdrive, oh wait I forgot it. Hey I have my Samsung focus with a micro sd card that has 20 free gigs!! Ok I'll slap the files on with remote drive because it does work. Go to my girlfriends house and copy the file to her PC so she can enjoy my movie!!

The difference is one app supports like all the cloud services and isn't written by 'some guy'

firepromaster

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
some guy needs to make money and eat too. if I want sky drive or dropbox I'll use apps for that. Plus I would like to see for myself, can't just trust 'some guys' opinion.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
some guy needs to make money and eat too. if I want sky drive or dropbox I'll use apps for that. Plus I would like to see for myself, can't just trust 'some guys' opinion.

Great, except for you are forgetting that you are trusting some guys software I think called easy sync? on your PC. That is a big deal. Security, man.

firepromaster

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
same goes for all software other wise we wouldn't need antivirus software or to enable firewalls. We must trust in Microsoft in this case to not allow this type of app to be allowed on our phone. On our pcs we need to monitor and protect ourselves. Security is in our own hands always. I'm not gonna walk in gangland with a jacket made out of 100 bills and not at least carry a bat. I took the risk of using this persons software long ago. I used it a multitude of times with success and no problems either on my phone or passwords and personal info on my or others pcs. That is all I have been stating. If people wish to use it or not is their choice. People have been saying that mass storage is not here on the phone when it is. Sucks that it's in app form and we have to pay for it. Also sucks that's its not integrated in but we have this until or if then.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
same goes for all software other wise we wouldn't need antivirus software or to enable firewalls. We must trust in Microsoft in this case to not allow this type of app to be allowed on our phone. On our pcs we need to monitor and protect ourselves. Security is in our own hands always. I'm not gonna walk in gangland with a jacket made out of 100 bills and not at least carry a bat. I took the risk of using this persons software long ago. I used it a multitude of times with success and no problems either on my phone or passwords and personal info on my or others pcs. That is all I have been stating. If people wish to use it or not is their choice. People have been saying that mass storage is not here on the phone when it is. Sucks that it's in app form and we have to pay for it. Also sucks that's its not integrated in but we have this until or if then.
I wouldn't rely on Microsoft in this case since the APP can be good and the sync software can be who knows. As for mass storage not being here in their terms they are correct. Using Zune wireless over RDP or whatever his sync software does doesn't convert your phone into a UMS/access to the zune filesystem. It still requires syncing software of some sort.

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Just use Skydrive/Mesh..

What if I have sensitive data I want to transport using the phone? I don't like putting things in the cloud, because I forfeit all control of the information. Stop repeating yourself and understand that people have different uses. Admit that you don't know what's best for everyone else.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
What if I have sensitive data I want to transport using the phone? I don't like putting things in the cloud, because I forfeit all control of the information. Stop repeating yourself and understand that people have different uses. Admit that you don't know what's best for everyone else.

From their very website about this ''remote drive"

Note: (If the file is greater than 3mg we will store them in an encrypted ZIP file with a random password for up to 5 days on our cloud server. )

No thanks. I'll encrypt it myself and store it on a cloud I know I can be more trusting of and will let me delete and not have to wait 5 days or whenever they decide to remove it.

Also, Live mesh runs and syncs from your desktop the same. Which is why I recommended SMEStorage..

Last edited:

xmind

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Out of all the "gaps" that I listed, USB mass storage mode is really the biggest beef for me...and was damn near a deal breaker on switching from Android.

My use cases for this feature is the following:
1. Helping to fix family member's computers who have limited or no internet access. Yes, there are people out there that don't have immediate internet access yet. All solutions mentioned requires a PC-side install...which means the installer has to get the computer in some way and if the internet is slow or non existent this isn't an option.
2. Transferring files to and from my work computer. We have fairly open internet access now, but I'm sure the **** not installing Zune on my work computer.
3. Work on our company's test equipment at customer sites. I can not install software on these machines and they don't have internet access. Mass storage mode on my work-assigned Blackberry has saved my *ss a couple of times when I was out of the country. I'd call someone back in the states, they email me updated files, I save them to the SD card, plug in the USB connection, enable mass storage mode, and transfer the files to the customer's PC.

Cloud syncing and PC-side software installs may alleviate some of the use cases, but it definitely doesn't cover all, especially #3.

I really wouldn't care if MS implemented mass storage by having to pre-partition the SD card or only allow me into a small portion of the SD card in my own little sand box. I would be fine with that solution. Sure, micro managing my files and how they are stored on the phone is nice, but definitely not needed when compared to my other uses.

L

lumic

On toggling with tiles, I think that they are too space consuming for such a feature. I would prefer to either have a "connections manager" app with a tile that quickly jumps you to all relevant toggles, or integration into the volume drop down - see New WP7 Apollo Concept | Jozef Kocur

L

lumic

Oops, double post.

Good job on forgetting your thumb drive in your own house.

Wait, what am I missing? You're transferring video from computer to computer using a paid app that requires a specific client installed on both computers. Why didn't you just use ZUNE?

You can even extend it further. Mass storage-like functionality is possible with Zune installed on a PC. Simply download a program from XDA that will mount your phone as a drive via registry change.

firepromaster

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Home video was an example. Forgetting my thumbdrive was just a what if situation. Zune also re encodes video when putting them on your phone if not correct resolution. The app makes transferring of any type file possible as long as you have the space.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Tiles have images but aren't 'pretty much images' they are links to apps/features/functions.

I think what was meant was that the tiles can't behave like little screens and show dynamic action and animation. They might flip and scroll, but they flip and scroll to show static images.

To have them be more dynamic would be very cool, but I also assume it would suck down battery/memory like crazy.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
You can even extend it further. Mass storage-like functionality is possible with Zune installed on a PC. Simply download a program from XDA that will mount your phone as a drive via registry change.

just stop there please. Needing Zune is the opposite of ums which is what people want, you can't just up and change the registry, and its toying with the Zune file system which can have unwanted effects.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos