WP7 & iPhone Ringtone limitation

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys,

My gf got her iphone last sat (and i got my lumia 800 =] ) and i just got my sister into WP7

I know there is the limit of 40sec or less and 1mb max for the file, they asked a fairly interesting question that i couldn't answer and have not been able to find a good answer at all

does any one know why the limitation is in place? i can only think of two possibilities

1. copyright/carrier issue
2. for better performance

my sister came from android so she went into rage mode on me because she couldn't figure out how to do it right =..= it was pretty easy after i slap... i mean showed her how to do it lol

oh... i couldn't stop my gf from going iphone... whole danm family went into zealot mode :mad: going to have to brag about my phone for awhile and see if they'll convert next round

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Your phone can only ring at maximum for 40 seconds.
If they did not limit it, there would be people using 20mb mp3s, which would be a performance and battery waster.

ipollesion

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Text tones I could see going on forever but usually phones just start playing the file and it goes til it's done. I've never seen a phone that lets the ringtone go past the call being answered or going to voicemail so it'd make no sense to have a 3 minute mp3 for your ringtone since you'd never hear anything past the first part anyways.

Assuming you have VM set up. I have it disabled on my account so my phone rings until I hit ignore or ~1.5 minutes pass and Sprint hangs up on the caller.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon