New WP7 user with Nokia Lumia 800

weezywally

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Finally made the switch from Blackberry and wow, this phone and the OS is amazing. Every time I use my phone I'm blown away by the UI and the smoothness.

Just a few questions for you WP7 experts :)

1) I don't seem to be getting toast notifications for tweets and Facebook comments on the people/me tile? Whats up with that?

2) How can I set a longer or shorter snooze interval?

3) I have a tiny 1 pixel black dot in the middle of my screen, keep trying to wipe it off but it seems to be under the glass, not a big deal but kind of annoying, anyone else had this? Could be dust in the factory...

4) If I have WIFI set to on does it dominate my 3G connection?

5) Should I jailbreak?

Dormage

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
3) You should get your phone replaced.
4) It does.
5) WP7 can be unlocked, jailbreak is for iPhones :)
You should only do it if there are homebrew apps you wan't to use.
I had mine unlocked from day one.

Btw, gratz on your Lumia and welcome to WPcentral :D

RogueCode

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Finally made the switch from Blackberry and wow, this phone and the OS is amazing. Every time I use my phone I'm blown away by the UI and the smoothness.

Just a few questions for you WP7 experts :)

1) I don't seem to be getting toast notifications for tweets and Facebook comments on the people/me tile? Whats up with that?

2) How can I set a longer or shorter snooze interval?

3) I have a tiny 1 pixel black dot in the middle of my screen, keep trying to wipe it off but it seems to be under the glass, not a big deal but kind of annoying, anyone else had this? Could be dust in the factory...

4) If I have WIFI set to on does it dominate my 3G connection?

5) Should I jailbreak?

Welcome!
1) You will not get toasts from FB and Twitter using the OS integration. It will just flip the "me" tile around to tell you what is new. (BTW if you haven't, I suggest pinning the me tile to start NOW). If you do want toasts, you will need to install a 3rd party app. Rowi (twitter), and the official Facebook app should suffice.

2) As a symptom of not having a real job I have not really used the alarm.

3) Definitely go to the store and see what their replacement criteria is. Hopefully they will just give you a new device.

4) Yep

5) Not required, but some people like running homebrew stuff.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
With the default alarm app you cannot set the snooze interval. But there are several new reminder apps that will activate the same way, and give you 5-6 options to snooze..

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
To change the Snooze at the alarm just touch where it says 5 minutes. It will give you the option to snooze for 10,15,30 minutes etc...

weezywally

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
To change the Snooze at the alarm just touch where it says 5 minutes. It will give you the option to snooze for 10,15,30 minutes etc...

Not there for me...maybe its a Mango thing?

Also guys, what happens to Whatsapp voice notes and videos my friends send me?

Sorry for the questions, just this thing has a funny way of handling some things :p

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
No way for me to change it, at least from my app. It's actually odd that I'm unable to change the snooze interval.

I've been having other concerns with the Alarm app. May look into another option, like the calendar.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Is not from the app. When you hear the alarm, it gives you 2 options.

1- Snooze
2- Cancel.

If you hit the letters about Snooze you can set the timer for the next one.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Regarding point #4 - WiFi will dominate your 3G connection while the screen is on.

When the screen is off WiFi goes to sleep only waking at intervals to check for emails/notifications. However if you keep 3G on, it is constant.

If you're looking for a quicker way to turn wifi/3g on and off, I recommend a free app called Toggle which lets you pin shortcuts to those settings on your home screen.

And welcome to the community, always nice to see another happy customer :)

Oliver Sainsbury

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. I am new myself and like you, I recently purchased (January 11th) a Nokia Lumia 800. I too am blown away by just how good and smooth it is. Previously, I had used a Symbian 3 phone and an Android phone running Froyo primarily, but eventually Gingerbread, and I must say Windown Phone 7 is just so much better.

Enjoy;)

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
As far as the snooze goes, set a second alarm. That's what I do...(I don't use snooze because of the slippery slope principle) If you must, just make your day job a regular appointment on your calendar, then you get a fully adjustable snooze. It's an oversight, but no platform is perfect...
And again, welcome to WP7! :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo