The look and "feel" of WP7...

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if it would be possible for the design team of Windows Phone to add "polish" to the OS. Let me take iOS for example (not trying to start a flame war):

I am actually fine with iOS and the "mini desktop" look (Android on the other hand....bleh). I also like the "polish" of the icons and the OS (webOS had this too). The icons actually had some shine and CCS3 type of design look and feel to them. Would this be possible somehow with the Metro design of Windows Phone?

The current setup is kind of bland (still really nice) to me, because all you have is black and white background and like (for me, as far as usuability) like 5 colors. I'm not saying we need customization, but just some "polish" to the overall OS so things are so flat straight-color looking like how the OS and apps are now.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
WP's design is very polished. The flat colors are intentional and by design. The purpose is clarity without clutter. Your description sounds like a different design philosophy.

Though I would like to see more color options.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Winning Guy. Adding "shine" or "polish" to the tiles will deviate from the WP UI intentions. Perhaps Apollo will bring something new, dunno.

IamVortigaunt

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah part of the idea is to get ride of the "chrome" and put the content front and center. S, for example you don't see the bars and bezels that take up space on ios and android. I think they could improve things by having more colors available and allowing you to make different tiles be different colors. I also think more can be done to add content to the rules themselves so that they actually are "live" tiles rather than big icons. But the design language is really quite different than that in ios and android (if it has one). The latter two, honestly are more or less simplified and touch-optimized takes on traditional desktop computing UIs, whereas wp7 goes in a different direction, trying integrate content contents a put it front and center.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

Reaction80

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I have to agree with the above comment. The metro UI in WP7 is all about flat colors, simplicity and minimalism. Microsoft are trying to differentiate themselves from the competition not slowly adopt aspects of it until it's almost a clone.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Android is iOS with widgets and live backgrounds, from an appearance perspective. "Polish" is just about all iOS has gotten since its inception, as the layout is still static and still uses the same color scheme. The biggest changes to the appearance of iOS has been the Retina Display resolution and the addition of folders. As derivative as Android is, at least it's constantly evolving.

WP7 is a completely different animal. It's minimalist, almost artistic. While the background is plain, the tiles are not. Personally, I would like to have more options with the tiles, such as more color options and resizing.

jd914

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
when it comes to WP7 less is more. The minimal approach is a breath of fresh air. Leave the "polish" for Android and iOS.

Last edited:

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I reckon that MS will probably add the option of colouring individual tiles at some stage, but it will more than likely remain locked to colours of their choosing. Obviously there are other colours that will work as well with white/black text but they've purposely set the current colours to enhance the clarity and readability of the text.

In terms of live tiles, as a non-developer I'm not sure exactly what options are open for people when creating a live tile for their app. But, given that there are some amazing non-Microsoft made live tiles on apps, I have to say that the responsibility for better live tiles lies with the app developers, not with MS.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
First off, I'm currently an Android user, Samsung Galaxy S, the first one. I haven't used the iPhone extenstively so I can't really say that I have a lot of hands-on experience. Currently looking to move to Radar or Lumia 710.

I spent quite a bit of time at the T-mobile store playing with the Radar. My overall opinion is that I prefer WP's minimalist layout, with large tiles that gives me quick access to what is useful to me the most.

danclyons

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I would actually love for Microsoft to allow users to add background images for the Home Screen. Essentially like how it's done on the Xbox dashboard.

It would be a nice touch and would add to the personality of the phone. I've had my Focus for about a year now and I'm still discovering new ways to love WP.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I also agree. Although being able to have a wallpaper behind the tiles would be nice.
I would actually love for Microsoft to allow users to add background images for the Home Screen. Essentially like how it's done on the Xbox dashboard. It would be a nice touch and would add to the personality of the phone. I've had my Focus for about a year now and I'm still discovering new ways to love WP.
I think it would be sweet, if properly implemented. The Marketplace and Pictures Hub do this already, showing tiles floating over a background image. It would be cool if they overlay the word Start in metro font over the image of your choice, so you know you're in the Start screen (although by the tiles you would already know).
To each his own. I personally think that would add visual clutter.
I can see that happening, but if it's just an option then everybody wins ;)

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I also like the "polish" of the icons and the OS (webOS had this too). The icons actually had some shine and CCS3 type of design look and feel to them. Would this be possible somehow with the Metro design of Windows Phone?

Some OEM apps have that polish. HTC for example has a bit and I think they do a nice job. Having an overly glossed icon I think would be too much, but the level that HTC has seems fine with me--it's just enough but remains somewhat true to the flat nature of Metro. So in that respect I wouldn't mind a little.

Though I think the UI team for Windows Phone is going towards more simple presentation as the other posters have said. If you haven't watched the Verge videos you'll hear about "Metro principles"

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I think more colours and wallpaper have to come in. Everyone thinks WP is a breath of fresh air compared to the ubiquitous iOS and Android (which is just a rip-off of iOS with widgets), and they're right. But as I've said before, that's currently due to lack of mass exposure - which is rapidly changing. And with Metro now on xbox and soon on Windows 8 too, soon that fresh look is going to be everywhere and so won't stay fresh for long. Currently, WP7 is the least customisable of all the Metro interfaces and the least customisable phone OS, so I can't see that staying the same. People's phones are very important to them and they like to make them their own, so allowing more personalisation has to be in the pipeline - to not do it would risk reducing the potential mass appeal of WP.

adamopinheiro

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I think the issue with "polish" in Windows Phone are the apps. Most of the apps aren't conformed to Metro or if it is it could have been better. There are just a few apps that stand out. I've come across today with this app called Skyscanner which I loved because it uses greatly the Metro guidelines.

I wish every app followed those guidelines. I hate when I see a iPhoney app on my WP.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah part of the idea is to get ride of the "chrome" and put the content front and center. S, for example you don't see the bars and bezels that take up space on ios and android. I think they could improve things by having more colors available and allowing you to make different tiles be different colors. I also think more can be done to add content to the rules themselves so that they actually are "live" tiles rather than big icons. But the design language is really quite different than that in ios and android (if it has one). The latter two, honestly are more or less simplified and touch-optimized takes on traditional desktop computing UIs, whereas wp7 goes in a different direction, trying integrate content contents a put it front and center.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

Maybe part of the issue is people's content isn't that interesting all the time, and they simply want to power on the phone and go "that's pretty." I agree that deviates from MS's intent. I happen to think Metro is pretty in the way it gets out of my way of my actual information.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I think more colours and wallpaper have to come in. Everyone thinks WP is a breath of fresh air compared to the ubiquitous iOS and Android (which is just a rip-off of iOS with widgets), and they're right. But as I've said before, that's currently due to lack of mass exposure - which is rapidly changing. And with Metro now on xbox and soon on Windows 8 too, soon that fresh look is going to be everywhere and so won't stay fresh for long. Currently, WP7 is the least customisable of all the Metro interfaces and the least customisable phone OS, so I can't see that staying the same. People's phones are very important to them and they like to make them their own, so allowing more personalisation has to be in the pipeline - to not do it would risk reducing the potential mass appeal of WP.

But it IS personal. It's YOUR arrangement of pinned apps/live tiles displaying YOUR information! I'm being a little dramatic here, but if your phone is boring, your information is boring! That is why your WP7 will look different from anyone else's. People have preconceived notions as to what "customizable" means, apparently. Which isn't really surprising, but given how different WP7 is, a different approach to customizing should also be taken. And this isn't really directed at you personally, just the overall mentality of WP7 needs wallpapers, et al.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb