The look and "feel" of WP7...

koolkid09

May 28, 2011
Visit site
But functionality wasn't the point - you said they didn't LOOK anything like each other, when they clearly do. And the closest two are iOS and Android.

Here's stock ICS:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/09/ics-20110928.jpg

Here's iOS:
http://cdn.mobiclue.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/iOS-4.0-screenshots.jpg

Here's Web OS:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TNE7UxGua..._BN4Tguigo/s1600/palm-pre-webos-wikipedia.jpg

Here's WP7:
http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/winphone2.jpg

Here's BB:
http://newsgadgetcool.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/blackberry-OS-7.jpg

You are absolutely kidding yourself if you think one OS that displays small static icons 4 across per row looks nothing like another OS that displays small static icons 4 across per row.

They are all grids! They look nothing alike. You are clearly reaching.

That's like saying Grid OS and WP7 look alike.

koolkid09

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, no. iOS wasn't even out when Android was being developed. Android was Blackberry competition until Apple dropped the iPhone. :p

Just about. When Android was first announced. It was announced on a blackberry looking device and a touchscreen device. It's when Apple release the iPhone when Google realized that what they had before was not good enough and need to speed up the process of what they were doing. They responded much quicker to the iPhone then RIM, Palm, or Microsoft. Which is why they are at the top now.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
But functionality wasn't the point - you said they didn't LOOK anything like each other, when they clearly do. And the closest two are iOS and Android.

Here's stock ICS:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/09/ics-20110928.jpg

Here's iOS:
http://cdn.mobiclue.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/iOS-4.0-screenshots.jpg

Here's Web OS:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TNE7UxGua..._BN4Tguigo/s1600/palm-pre-webos-wikipedia.jpg

Here's WP7:
http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/winphone2.jpg

Here's BB:
http://newsgadgetcool.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/blackberry-OS-7.jpg

You are absolutely kidding yourself if you think one OS that displays small static icons 4 across per row looks nothing like another OS that displays small static icons 4 across per row.

If you leave them completely stock, as it comes out of the box, sure Android and Blackberry Look similar to iOS. However, thats where it stops. You can customize the heck out of Android. Throw a widget on there and its already quite different. Even Blackberry has an adjustable home dock, as many rows as you like or even completely hide it. You can theme both Blackberry and Android too. Well, I'm not sure if you can theme Android without a custom ROM . If you need to load a custom ROM than thats not fair, as you can theme iOS with a jailbreak.

Also, if you are comparing the App screens and NOT the Homescreens (thats the ONLY way I see ICS looking like iOS, if you compare the App screens), is that really the right way to prove they look similar? iOS just isnt and cant be, anything more than icons, while the other OS's are slightly different out of the box and also can be changed (some drastically) with little to no effort.

Btw, iOS UI (minus the dock) has been what Blackberry's App screen has looked like for years. An App screen is an App screen.

iOS is the only platform out of the top 4, NOT to have a major UI overhaul within the past 2-3 years. Actually, they have never since it launched, but thats beyond the point.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Touchwiz is a proprietary skin from Samsung for their specific Android devices. It is not Android. It comes from Samsung in-house OS Bada.

That's like saying Sense UI is Windows Mobile because the HD2 and HTC Touch Pro had Sense UI. It's ludicrous.
exactly right, its a skin! it is still androids operating system! wow.... sense and touchwiz are not operating systems... they are skins , user interfaces on top of an OS...

koolkid09

May 28, 2011
Visit site
exactly right, its a skin! it is still androids operating system! wow.... sense and touchwiz are not operating systems... they are skins , user interfaces on top of an OS...

But they are not ANDROID!

This is Android.

home-lg.png

And you still haven't responded to this.

"That's like saying Sense UI is Windows Mobile because the HD2 and HTC Touch Pro had Sense UI. It's ludicrous."

STOP with your double standards. If gives of an impression that you are a ******. Which is never good.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
It's strange because we could wave our hands all over the place all day long, screaming to the top of our voices "Android, iOS, Blackberry [etc.] all look the same!" But what could they change? There's really little scope here with regards to UI. Even the Metro UI resembles the other platforms with have the chrome at the top (which auto-hides of course), but it's still a grid. The apps list is still an apps list.

Sure, we have Live Tiles, which are more functional than mere icons, but the average iOS user is used to having to head into that app to check out what's what. When I use my Windows Phone (when I actually pick the thing up) I simply glance at the tiles and I'm done. When I'm on my iPad, I head into each and every app that I desire to be updated with. It's all about the frame of mind for the user, and what (s)he is used to, no?

In the end, it's all personal preference. Even the argument about whether or not iOS and Android look like one another, it depends on how you look at the UI and what you look at.

Roadkillin

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Only if you.want it to look like iOS. My phone looks nothing like it though.

Sent from my Galaxy S II

I agree that Android absolutely only looks like iOS as much as you want it to. My phone is completely different, and I'd say much smoother.

These are my three homescreens and notification window. For 90% of all things I need to do, I can do from these screens or a quick swipe from the top right hand of ANY screen on my phone.

I also have the clock app, music widget, and a great unlock mechanism that automatically opens camera, changes the ringer settings, turns on the flashlight, or just unlocks the phone.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
But they are not ANDROID!

This is Android.

Click to view quoted image

And you still haven't responded to this.

"That's like saying Sense UI is Windows Mobile because the HD2 and HTC Touch Pro had Sense UI. It's ludicrous."

STOP with your double standards. If gives of an impression that you are a ******. Which is never good.

you are confused! android is an OS, not a skin... touchwiz and sense are skins... so to say touchwiz isnt android doesnt make sense... i guess your right, these look nothing alike...

Roadkillin

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
you are confused! android is an OS, not a skin... touchwiz and sense are skins... so to say touchwiz isnt android doesnt make sense... i guess your right, these look nothing alike...

THAT IS NOT THE TOUCHWIZ HOMESCREEN.

That is comparing the app drawer of one phone to the homescreen of another. Take a gander over at my last post, and you will see what my homescreen looks like. It is much closer to what you get when using the phone than the App drawer.

The android phone will ONLY look like that if you take the time to painstakingly pull every single app that you download from the app drawer and find a place for it on your homescreens. The system does not do that for you unless you flash a completely different, chinese made user skin on the phone.... or a couple of user made alternate launchers, such as Espier.

Edit:
Actually, sorry, that is the Galaxy S/SL picture I'd gather, but still it's just showing the app drawer. Try this picture comparison which is more apples to apples. You're at least comparing homescreens to homescreens.

Last edited:

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
THAT IS NOT THE TOUCHWIZ HOMESCREEN.

That is comparing the app drawer of one phone to the homescreen of another. Take a gander over at my last post, and you will see what my homescreen looks like. It is much closer to what you get when using the phone than the App drawer.

The android phone will ONLY look like that if you take the time to painstakingly pull every single app that you download from the app drawer and find a place for it on your homescreens. The system does not do that for you unless you flash a completely different, chinese made user skin on the phone.... or a couple of user made alternate launchers, such as Espier.

Edit:
Actually, sorry, that is the Galaxy S/SL picture I'd gather, but still it's just showing the app drawer. Try this picture comparison which is more apples to apples. You're at least comparing homescreens to homescreens.

ios doesnt have an app drawer, it is a series of homescreens, exactly like touchwiz's app drawer... point being the look identical. really you can make android look like anything you want? so none of this debate really matters, my point was they look alike. heck, there was a lawsuit against samsung for this exact reason... but i am gracefully bowing out of this debate because it is now becoming redundant.

koolkid09

May 28, 2011
Visit site

Jesus Christ I'm dealing with an idiot.

Look Touchwiz is not Android. Android is Android. Touchwiz is a skin on top of Android.

On the image you just showed me show the laucher of Touchwiz not the homescreen. I'm not saying Samsung didn't try to make Touchwiz look and feel like iOS, but as far as Android the way Google released it. It looks nothing like iOS.

And you still haven't responded to this statement.

Until you have a valid responds for that, your argument is ****.

Roadkillin

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
But, they don't look identical. There is a single part of the android OS that looks like iOS, but that is not even the basic resting point that the user sits on top of.

Everything the user does is centered around and radiates from the homescreen. In WP7 this homescreen is called a start page, and is a grid of big squares. In iOS it is a grid of small squares with rounded corners. In Android it is a blank page that is populated to be as easy and intuitive for the individual using it.
They can pull their applications over from a grid when they need them, but the area the user resides is not in the app drawer, but rather their home of their own making on their homescreens.

You cannot say two operating systems look identical because there is a grid located somewhere within both of them. They look completely different, because the central point/hub of the operating system looks completely different, unless effort is taken to make them look identical.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Jesus Christ I'm dealing with an idiot.

Look Touchwiz is not Android. Android is Android. Touchwiz is a skin on top of Android.

On the image you just showed me show the laucher of Touchwiz not the homescreen. I'm not saying Samsung didn't try to make Touchwiz look and feel like iOS, but as far as Android the way Google released it. It looks nothing like iOS.

And you still haven't responded to this statement.

Until you have a valid responds for that, your argument is ****.

not even going to go there kid, watch your mouth...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb