at&t signal issues?

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
My Focus S is all over the place: 4G to Edge to "G" to no signal and back again...in random order and in short bursts. Solar flares already, or just goofy night on at&t? I am in 3G area of upstate NY...Anyone else experiencing general weirdness?

JMS9129

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm having 3g issues in the Pittsburgh Pa area, usually get 3 bars in my house, going from full strength to nothing in 3g and then switching to edge, with a Focus.

rezzet#CB

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
My Focus S is all over the place: 4G to Edge to "G" to no signal and back again...in random order and in short bursts. Solar flares already, or just goofy night on at&t? I am in 3G area of upstate NY...Anyone else experiencing general weirdness?
Good Evening, Rocket_Girl,

I must be honest, I'm at all not impressed by AT&T performance in my area either (Tampa, FL). I have HTC Titan, and I rarely seem to be getting speeds over 1mbps. Almost every time I test, an average speed is about 0.8mbps for downloads and 0.4mbps uploads.

It's incredibly disappointing seeing how horrible this network does comparing to Verizon network that costs about the same per month (my friends try to rub that in my face every chance they get). I pretty much gave up on streaming any HQ videos on YouTube, as it takes forever to buffer with YouTube Pro.

As far as voice goes, so far I haven't had many dropped calls, but I rarely seem to get 5 bars either. It's usually between 2-3 bars.

I'm hoping that big improvements are coming to AT&T data network within the next year, otherwise I will probably be moving on to another provider.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Lost signal completely last night. Called tech support this morning, and they had to push connection OTA. She explained that when signal is bad & phone is looking (in elevator... at home if signal is poor...), sometimes it can't reconnect & needs to have connection sent OTA. Explained that this should not happen often, but if it continues to happen @ home, they would be happy to give me a rebate on purchase of a micro cell. Great.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Lost signal completely last night. Called tech support this morning, and they had to push connection OTA. She explained that when signal is bad & phone is looking (in elevator... at home if signal is poor...), sometimes it can't reconnect & needs to have connection sent OTA. Explained that this should not happen often, but if it continues to happen @ home, they would be happy to give me a rebate on purchase of a micro cell. Great.

How nice of them to allow you to spend your own money to fix their network problems...

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
So, they were working on the nearest tower. Upgrading to HSPA+. Sadly, after spending a significant chunk of my time on the phone w/ tech support. NONE of them could tell me that. Even worse, first tech said "we checked & your area is fine, no outages" Another tech said "we can't tell, but if you have someone else w/ different at&t phone go with you, *you* can tell *us* if it's the signal or just your phone.

Found out when I went to local at&t store. Tower is in their area, so they knew, and they had streams of disgruntled customers all thinking (like I was) that their phones were jacked.

Oh well, did get credit on bill, without asking, to acknowledge the headache. That's cool.

Diamondx_8

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Good Evening, Rocket_Girl,

I must be honest, I'm at all not impressed by AT&T performance in my area either (Tampa, FL). I have HTC Titan, and I rarely seem to be getting speeds over 1mbps. Almost every time I test, an average speed is about 0.8mbps for downloads and 0.4mbps uploads.

It's incredibly disappointing seeing how horrible this network does comparing to Verizon network that costs about the same per month (my friends try to rub that in my face every chance they get). I pretty much gave up on streaming any HQ videos on YouTube, as it takes forever to buffer with YouTube Pro.

As far as voice goes, so far I haven't had many dropped calls, but I rarely seem to get 5 bars either. It's usually between 2-3 bars.

I'm hoping that big improvements are coming to AT&T data network within the next year, otherwise I will probably be moving on to another provider.

I was having the same issue with my HTC Titan in the Twin Cities area. Always got 1.5-1.7 mbps down. Since the last two weeks, I have consistently hit 3.0-5.0 mbps. I am wondering if AT&T just rolled out enhanced back haul in my area. So it started off bad but improved significantly. Hope the same happens for you.

Have you received any updates for the HTC Hub? I did and sometimes I wonder if HTC slipped in something that improved performance. The increase in speed almost coincided with the update.

rezzet#CB

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I was having the same issue with my HTC Titan in the Twin Cities area. Always got 1.5-1.7 mbps down. Since the last two weeks, I have consistently hit 3.0-5.0 mbps. I am wondering if AT&T just rolled out enhanced back haul in my area. So it started off bad but improved significantly. Hope the same happens for you.

Have you received any updates for the HTC Hub? I did and sometimes I wonder if HTC slipped in something that improved performance. The increase in speed almost coincided with the update.

Negative, dturpin1. I just re-installed HTC Hub, ran it, restarted the phone, tested speed again. Pretty much the same story - 0.9 mbps download and 0.4mbps upload speeds. I also tried HTC Connection Setup app. It didn't make the difference either. I honestly think it's the network that's the problem. I'll just have to wait and see if it gets better in 2012. :dry Thanks for a suggestion though!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss