The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
02-05-2012 09:03 PM
80 1234
tools
    Well T-mobile is the only carrier that doesn't have an iphone, so they are pushing their Android phones very hard. I told him that the only reason I even entered the store was because of their Lumia poster.

He said that "the Lumia is great, it has a 1.something processor and...."

He obviously doesn't care or like WP7 but he was pretty nice to me and that plan he found was pretty good.
    01-23-2012 06:56 PM
    You should have challenged him to something and made him admit to being smoked by Windows Phone!
    01-23-2012 07:23 PM
    Not with my current carrier awful reception. It had zero bars and no data in there... I didn't even bothered explaining to him what I like the most since it was impossible. I still made it clear that I loved it and there's no way I'm choosing something, so he never offered me any other devices. Not with that sexy look of determination on my face.

Edit: And there's no way I'm getting a new phone before looking at Mobile Congress next month. I need to know what High end Windows Phone will make it on T-mobile. Nothing less than a 8MP camera for me.
    Last edited by Winterfang; 01-23-2012 at 09:08 PM.
    01-23-2012 07:33 PM
    I was walking from the supermarket today and passed by the T-Mobile store on the way... the WP was out front and center and there was a huge ad for it on their window!

So T-Mobile isn't all too bad...
    TheWeeBear likes this.
    01-24-2012 03:34 AM
    Don't forget to check the Microsoft store online, I was just browsing because I was bored and saw that the 710 was free with contract, upgrade, and add a line

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express
    I just did that to replace my wife's drowned HTC HD7 I added a line got the Lumia 740 for free. the insurance will replace the HD7 I'll keep the new HD7 and give my mom my old device. So tha6t she has something for her walks and when she goes out.
    01-24-2012 04:13 AM
    I was walking from the supermarket today and passed by the T-Mobile store on the way... the WP was out front and center and there was a huge ad for it on their window!

So T-Mobile isn't all too bad...
    That's a great slogan. The slogan here sucks " The phone that's the same as your home computer". No wonder no one will buy it.
    01-24-2012 07:49 AM
    Wow, you are so bitter.
    01-24-2012 10:18 AM
    Sorry if I come out as bitter. I'm actually pretty enthusiastic about getting a new Windows Phone on T-mobile but I do like to see every possible point of view.
    01-24-2012 10:23 AM
    Sorry if I come out as bitter. I'm actually pretty enthusiastic about getting a new Windows Phone on T-mobile but I do like to see every possible point of view.
    I understand some of your frustrations as I would have idealy wanted to keep 16GB as I went from the HD7 to my Lumia 710. But otherwise I am pleasantly suprised that it is better in all regards (screen, camera, build quality).

Sure some will want a bigger screen, but even my Apple friend who brought his iPhone 4 over for comparison agreed that versus 4.3, the 3.7 is better with better ppi. And he always gave me a hard time for getting it versus waiting for a 800/900 (as that is what he would get if he were to get WP) but he actually like the 710 and was amazed at how light it was.
    01-24-2012 10:30 AM
    I do want a bigger screen, I also want a better camera, a great design, a front facing camera. I'm not asking for the impossible since the Lumia 800, Focus S, Titan and the future Titan II, 900 will provided with all I want.

The only problem is that all those phones are on AT&T while T-mobile gets the lumia/radar which I personally don't find them to be a big improvement over my Optimus 7.
    soulzero likes this.
    01-24-2012 10:39 AM
    I have found around here anyway I'm 10 times better off doing all my phone purchases online and when I have an issue I call the Customer service number or online tech support. Most of the people working these retail shops don't care and barely have any idea about what they are selling plus there is usually something for an "online only" deal like free shipping, no activation or discounted/free phones. We are back with TMobile after a few years with another carrier in our location they are great super fast and great signal. I got our Radar 4G's for free and free shipping I have been very happy with them and compared to the Samsung galaxy S (we paid $100 after mail in rebate) we had last for the money even at $50-$100 they are worth the money. The Radar is not a $300 dollar phone so it really shouldn't be compared to one but I find it to be a very nice phone for what 100 bucks. can get you now a days. These are our first windows phones and aside from a few marketplace apps totally fine with them, but the speed and smoothness make up for any lack of apps personally.
    Winterfang likes this.
    01-24-2012 10:53 AM
    Well I went to the other T-mobile store after work and it was even more depressing. They only had the Black/Black Lumia and the Radar again beside them. On a stand that said Android next to a bunch of similarly spec free Android devices ( LGMytouch, LGmytouchQ, Exhibit II, Gravity Smart ) and their outrageous 100+ prices stick out like a sore thumb.

On a positive note, the carrier had a 65$ unlimited plan with a whooping 5GB of high speed data :D which is amazing. Sadly though when I asked the salesman about Windows Phone, he said that he didn't get it, call it pointless, said he didn't got their functionality and ask me why would anyone want Windows on their phone.

I'm happy for the plan but T-mobile offerings of Windows Phone comes in 2 flavors crap and ****.
    5GB high speed data is nice when your full 3G signal isn't giving you EDGE-level download speeds...

Can't wait to drop them...
    01-24-2012 11:39 AM
    Mmm that's pretty bad. How is their 4G?
    01-24-2012 02:47 PM
    Currently I get about 1mbps average on my speed tests here in Rochester, NY. My friend on Verizon 3G gets about .3mbps average on his iPhone, so I won't complain but wish I got closer to 6mbps.
    01-24-2012 07:39 PM
    TMobile here is avg 240k in my apt and around the the whole city like downtown. Verizon is 4x that and at&t blows them both out of the water.
    I'm moving next month and getting a 4s, which all still resale very nicely she the 5 comes out.

Microsoft's hardware specs and Zune tethering, ignorable app market, and shoddy update process making android manufacturers look pretty good these days, and community (too complacent, imo) just aren't jiving me. Its been over a year now. Patience is nonexistent. I'm Sure Apollo will be nice for you guys, though.

Probably will disappear from here soon.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
    Reflexx and Winterfang like this.
    01-25-2012 11:52 AM
    Unfortunately for spec queens, the Radar 4G was T-Mobile's 3rd best selling device in November and December.

Suprise, value is selling. I assume the Lumia 710 will do just as well. Based on the Radar 4G news, its no suprise that T-Mobile thought the Lumia 710 would do a better job for Nokia on their network then say a 800 or 900 at $200. Not to say I don't think they won't expand their WP offering later. But currently they are doing the correct strategy for WP.
    Tmobile is the welfare carrier and the phone was cheap. Duh. It's priced for the specs, they don't have any iPhone either. Nor do they have Titan, focus s. they didn't have alumina at that time, or a focus flash. Basically if you wanted a windows phone you had no choice, cause the HD7 is EOL. They don't even have the all touch BB torch and EOL the 9810 which was 4x the price as the identical AT&T device.

No surprise there.

And they still don't have a high end WP7 device.

My TMobile 3G speeds:

Attachment 20184

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    01-25-2012 11:58 AM

We can only hope.
    01-25-2012 11:59 AM
    TMobile here is avg 240k in my apt and around the the whole city like downtown. Verizon is 4x that and at&t blows them both out of the water.
    I'm moving next month and getting a 4s, which all still resale very nicely she the 5 comes out.

Microsoft's hardware specs and Zune tethering, ignorable app market, and shoddy update process making android manufacturers look pretty good these days, and community (too complacent, imo) just aren't jiving me. Its been over a year now. Patience is nonexistent. I'm Sure Apollo will be nice for you guys, though.

Different strokes for different folks. :)

Be sure to check back after Apollo and give your input about what you think about the changes.
    01-25-2012 12:25 PM
    My TMobile 3G speeds:

Attachment 20184

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    I try it on my desktop using internet sharing and here's mine.

That's on 3G and I find it pretty decent. Though what about those 42MB theoretical T-mobile speeds? I know you will never get those speeds but that's is nowhere even remotely close.
    01-25-2012 03:42 PM
    I try it on my desktop using internet sharing and here's mine.

Click to view quoted image

That's on 3G and I find it pretty decent. Though what about those 42MB theoretical T-mobile speeds? I know you will never get those speeds but that's is nowhere even remotely close.
    Those speeds are still terrible, AT&T HSPA+ on an HSPA+ 14.4 device is almost 10x that speed here, and Verizon 3G is almost double that. Those are 3G speeds you'd expect from a bad CDMA carrier like Sprint. In the HSPA+ market where I came from T-Mobile download speeds were 3.5+ Mbps on a 3G device (not an HSPA+ device, to make it clear what I'm talking about and upload speeds were over 2Mbps).

And those slow internet speeds waste battery life for obvious reasons (cell radio working longer than on a phone downloading uploading significantly faster) - another issue I'm dealing with. The signal strength here is flawless. They just don't have the infrastructure to support the number of people accessing their network. T-Mobile is the Sprint of GSM in the USA.

Prolly doesn't help that they have a bunch of "Wal-Mart warriors" hopping on their network these days, either...

Different usage patterns are different. I need a faster 3G connection. 0.70 Mbps download speeds and why even bother having a high cap data plan. It's a waste of money, IMO. Why do you think Sprint advertises unlimited data? No one on Sprint 3G is hogging their network, Lol. The only people using a ton of data are those on WiMax devices, which doesn't hit their CDMA towers/system.

And then they raised prices on everyone to subsidize that, even though their phones here take 5 minutes to load m.microsoft.com on a full Sprint 3G signal (no, I'm not exaggerating).
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-26-2012 at 10:25 AM.
    01-26-2012 10:19 AM
    I still feel that people lose sight of the point that there is nowhere in the world that every carrier is perfect each one has certain geographical areas they excel in. For instance we lived in Northern New England AT&T were not available for 60+ miles Verizon was fair and TMobile was a step above AT&T it was US Cellular that everyone had here Verizon and TMobile are basically on 95% of things neck and neck AT&T is fair and US Cellular is not here at all. So I find it to be wasted breath to argue who is better when it is simpy dependent on location in the case of dropped calls signal strength and speed. Clearly grades of phones is a valid point but services not so much IMO.
    01-26-2012 04:41 PM
    I don't want the better carrier overall. I need the one that suits me best, sadly my carrier is not that. (also now that you mention it, the one I show you is my top speed, I'm mostly on H and on edge the phone doesn't even work)
    01-26-2012 05:27 PM
    I still feel that people lose sight of the point that there is nowhere in the world that every carrier is perfect each one has certain geographical areas they excel in. For instance we lived in Northern New England AT&T were not available for 60+ miles Verizon was fair and TMobile was a step above AT&T it was US Cellular that everyone had here Verizon and TMobile are basically on 95% of things neck and neck AT&T is fair and US Cellular is not here at all. So I find it to be wasted breath to argue who is better when it is simpy dependent on location in the case of dropped calls signal strength and speed. Clearly grades of phones is a valid point but services not so much IMO.
    If you think T-Mobile is even close to being on par with AT&T I dunno what to say. That sounds delusional. Why would DT even sell T-Mobile to AT&T if T-Mobile was on par with them.

Verizon's coverage far surpasses both AT&T and T-Mobile, but I don't use CDMA devices so they are out of the question. Their 3G speeds are pretty bad too, but they sure blow T-Mobile out of the water here...

T-Mobile has the worst coverage of all the National Carriers (living in an area where their coverage is great doesn't make their coverage great, it's just great for you). Even Sprint is better. T-Mobile depends on Roaming for most of their call coverage outside of major cities, their tower density is terrible so when lots of people get on their smartphones your data speeds drop into the ground, and outside of major cities their data coverage is attrocious.

Sorry, I travel, and when I made a 1350 mile trip and found out I mind as well should have left BOTH my smartphoneS home, it became clearly apparent that I need to drop this shoddy carrier. You get what you pay for.

And the city I traveled to is not a rural town. It's a fairly decent sized town. T-Mobile coverage is MIA. I could barely hold 1 bar GPRS, and who wants to stand outside in 20 degree weather with 10-15 mph winds just to have a cell phone conversation? Being tethered to WiFi calling is no better than using a Cordless Home Phone.

It's not depended upon location. Some of us don't stay in one place. That's why we pick NATIONAL carriers. So we can have Coverage across the Nation not just in one town or County/Parish. It just so happens T-Mobile looks like a Second Tier carrier compared to AT&T.

And like I said, I don't use CDMA phones (too much of a PITA to switch devices, not SV&D, crap 3G speeds I prefer HSPA+ 14.4-21 to HSPA 42/LTE at this point for battery life) so Verizon and Sprint are out of the question.

AT&T = Moving Forward
    T-Mobile = Not.

Even if AT&T speeds were equivalent, I'd still switch for the coverage. It's not cool watching people ride the train a hundred miles with 3G on their AT&T phones while I'm sitting there twiddling my thumbs hoping to catch a bit of EDGE eventually...
    01-27-2012 10:30 AM
    I agree with what you just said that was my point I wasn't arguing Tmobile was a better carrier nationwide I was stating that for me in the area I live and travel it works best for what I need which is why I switched to them if AT&T had better service in the regions that I travel clearly I would've picked them. That is why I stated where I used to reside it was a terrible carrier I am failing to see where any single carrier is perfect no matter what corner of the country or world you travel in. To sit here and argue the same point over and over is a waste of time. I'm glad you have a carrier that works for you and its what you need but that doesn't mean its the best carrier for my needs does it? Not last I checked I know we should have one carrier controlled by one person to give us the best service ever imagined then they can charge us $1,000.00 a month and we'll all be happy right!? Sorry if you don't agree with my view on carriers but no one said we had to agree thats the beauty of the internet and forums like this we can all agree to disagree sometimes.
    01-27-2012 02:26 PM
    I'e only actually recieved 1 MIR out of the 6 or so that I've done, so that's not comforting.

Neither is the fact that it comes on some ghetto debit card instead of a check you can just deposit to your account. Or better yet why not just give me the $50 off point blank if you 're gonna waste more than $50 mailing me this ghetto debit card that I'll inevitably leave $5-10 on because of ATM fees and the fact that almost every ATM here only lets you pull out in increments of $20.

And God forbid you get more than one phone. Now you get two debit cards. Yay!

Why are carriers the only ones that don't get it. Even Radio Shack gets it, and they suck.

In any case, even for free on contract I wouldn't get a mid-range phone. Better to just pay for something a bit more future proof. It's almost always worth the investment, IMO.
    That's the reason they have MIR. I remember reading an article in the newspaper years ago that the reason for MIRs is that they know most people won't bother filling out the form, they will forget to mail it in, they'll forget to include something important, fail to follow directions, or it'll get lost in the mail.
    01-27-2012 03:46 PM
80 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD