T-mobile doesn't get it.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately for spec queens, the Radar 4G was T-Mobile's 3rd best selling device in November and December.

Suprise, value is selling. I assume the Lumia 710 will do just as well. Based on the Radar 4G news, its no suprise that T-Mobile thought the Lumia 710 would do a better job for Nokia on their network then say a 800 or 900 at $200. Not to say I don't think they won't expand their WP offering later. But currently they are doing the correct strategy for WP.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It's $50 after a $50 mail-in-rebate, so the price is pretty much correct. They don't mention the rebate because that's how carriers are >_>

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

I'e only actually recieved 1 MIR out of the 6 or so that I've done, so that's not comforting.

Neither is the fact that it comes on some ghetto debit card instead of a check you can just deposit to your account. Or better yet why not just give me the $50 off point blank if you 're gonna waste more than $50 mailing me this ghetto debit card that I'll inevitably leave $5-10 on because of ATM fees and the fact that almost every ATM here only lets you pull out in increments of $20.

And God forbid you get more than one phone. Now you get two debit cards. Yay!

Why are carriers the only ones that don't get it. Even Radio Shack gets it, and they suck.

In any case, even for free on contract I wouldn't get a mid-range phone. Better to just pay for something a bit more future proof. It's almost always worth the investment, IMO.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I'e only actually recieved 1 MIR out of the 6 or so that I've done, so that's not comforting.

Neither is the fact that it comes on some ghetto debit card instead of a check you can just deposit to your account. Or better yet why not just give me the $50 off point blank if you 're gonna waste more than $50 mailing me this ghetto debit card that I'll inevitably leave $5-10 on because of ATM fees and the fact that almost every ATM here only lets you pull out in increments of $20.

And God forbid you get more than one phone. Now you get two debit cards. Yay!

Why are carriers the only ones that don't get it. Even Radio Shack gets it, and they suck.

In any case, even for free on contract I wouldn't get a mid-range phone. Better to just pay for something a bit more future proof. It's almost always worth the investment, IMO.

There is a reason behind the rebates. You have to have qualifying features (such as a data plan that costs atleast $x). I guess they could price the phones different at the spot, $50 if you have the features required, and $100 if you don't but the rebate pushes it out some and lets them see however many days out that you still have changed your dataplan etc...

As for debit cards over checks, pretty much all rebates have gone to debit cards so it must be the cheapest option for rebates. Just use it next time you go shopping, most stores let you combine cards so that you can use every penny. Of if you honestly wanted the best deal you would pay full price and get the value plan.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Well I went to the other T-mobile store after work and it was even more depressing. They only had the Black/Black Lumia and the Radar again beside them. On a stand that said Android next to a bunch of similarly spec free Android devices ( LGMytouch, LGmytouchQ, Exhibit II, Gravity Smart ) and their outrageous 100+ prices stick out like a sore thumb.

On a positive note, the carrier had a 65$ unlimited plan with a whooping 5GB of high speed data :D which is amazing. Sadly though when I asked the salesman about Windows Phone, he said that he didn't get it, call it pointless, said he didn't got their functionality and ask me why would anyone want Windows on their phone.

I'm happy for the plan but T-mobile offerings of Windows Phone comes in 2 flavors crap and ****.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Well I went to the other T-mobile store after work and it was even more depressing. They only had the Black/Black Lumia and the Radar again beside them. On a stand that said Android next to a bunch of similarly spec free Android devices ( LGMytouch, LGmytouchQ, Exhibit II, Gravity Smart ) and their outrageous 100+ prices stick out like a sore thumb.

On a positive note, the carrier had a 65$ unlimited plan with a whooping 5GB of high speed data :D which is amazing. Sadly though when I asked the salesman about Windows Phone, he said that he didn't get it, call it pointless, said he didn't got their functionality and ask me why would anyone want Windows on their phone.

I'm happy for the plan but T-mobile offerings of Windows Phone comes in 2 flavors crap and ****.

Sounds like the type of salesman who gets a bonus every time he sells an iPhone or Android. Microsoft will start doing the same so I wouldn't be surprised if these "bias" reps start changing their tune once the money starts hitting their pocket.

Microsoft to give incentives to retail workers who sell Windows Phones - Neowin.net

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Well T-mobile is the only carrier that doesn't have an iphone, so they are pushing their Android phones very hard. I told him that the only reason I even entered the store was because of their Lumia poster.

He said that "the Lumia is great, it has a 1.something processor and...."

He obviously doesn't care or like WP7 but he was pretty nice to me and that plan he found was pretty good.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Not with my current carrier awful reception. It had zero bars and no data in there... I didn't even bothered explaining to him what I like the most since it was impossible. I still made it clear that I loved it and there's no way I'm choosing something, so he never offered me any other devices. Not with that sexy look of determination on my face.

Edit: And there's no way I'm getting a new phone before looking at Mobile Congress next month. I need to know what High end Windows Phone will make it on T-mobile. Nothing less than a 8MP camera for me.

Last edited:

roffleswaffles

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I was walking from the supermarket today and passed by the T-Mobile store on the way... the WP was out front and center and there was a huge ad for it on their window!

So T-Mobile isn't all too bad...

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget to check the Microsoft store online, I was just browsing because I was bored and saw that the 710 was free with contract, upgrade, and add a line

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

I just did that to replace my wife's drowned HTC HD7 I added a line got the Lumia 740 for free. the insurance will replace the HD7 I'll keep the new HD7 and give my mom my old device. So tha6t she has something for her walks and when she goes out.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I was walking from the supermarket today and passed by the T-Mobile store on the way... the WP was out front and center and there was a huge ad for it on their window!

So T-Mobile isn't all too bad...

That's a great slogan. The slogan here sucks " The phone that's the same as your home computer". No wonder no one will buy it.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if I come out as bitter. I'm actually pretty enthusiastic about getting a new Windows Phone on T-mobile but I do like to see every possible point of view.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if I come out as bitter. I'm actually pretty enthusiastic about getting a new Windows Phone on T-mobile but I do like to see every possible point of view.

I understand some of your frustrations as I would have idealy wanted to keep 16GB as I went from the HD7 to my Lumia 710. But otherwise I am pleasantly suprised that it is better in all regards (screen, camera, build quality).

Sure some will want a bigger screen, but even my Apple friend who brought his iPhone 4 over for comparison agreed that versus 4.3, the 3.7 is better with better ppi. And he always gave me a hard time for getting it versus waiting for a 800/900 (as that is what he would get if he were to get WP) but he actually like the 710 and was amazed at how light it was.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I do want a bigger screen, I also want a better camera, a great design, a front facing camera. I'm not asking for the impossible since the Lumia 800, Focus S, Titan and the future Titan II, 900 will provided with all I want.

The only problem is that all those phones are on AT&T while T-mobile gets the lumia/radar which I personally don't find them to be a big improvement over my Optimus 7.

sprocket01

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I have found around here anyway I'm 10 times better off doing all my phone purchases online and when I have an issue I call the Customer service number or online tech support. Most of the people working these retail shops don't care and barely have any idea about what they are selling plus there is usually something for an "online only" deal like free shipping, no activation or discounted/free phones. We are back with TMobile after a few years with another carrier in our location they are great super fast and great signal. I got our Radar 4G's for free and free shipping I have been very happy with them and compared to the Samsung galaxy S (we paid $100 after mail in rebate) we had last for the money even at $50-$100 they are worth the money. The Radar is not a $300 dollar phone so it really shouldn't be compared to one but I find it to be a very nice phone for what 100 bucks. can get you now a days. These are our first windows phones and aside from a few marketplace apps totally fine with them, but the speed and smoothness make up for any lack of apps personally.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

5GB high speed data is nice when your full 3G signal isn't giving you EDGE-level download speeds...

Can't wait to drop them...

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Currently I get about 1mbps average on my speed tests here in Rochester, NY. My friend on Verizon 3G gets about .3mbps average on his iPhone, so I won't complain but wish I got closer to 6mbps.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
TMobile here is avg 240k in my apt and around the the whole city like downtown. Verizon is 4x that and at&t blows them both out of the water.
I'm moving next month and getting a 4s, which all still resale very nicely she the 5 comes out.

Microsoft's hardware specs and Zune tethering, ignorable app market, and shoddy update process making android manufacturers look pretty good these days, and community (too complacent, imo) just aren't jiving me. Its been over a year now. Patience is nonexistent. I'm Sure Apollo will be nice for you guys, though.

Probably will disappear from here soon.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb