T-mobile doesn't get it.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to go to T-mobile and I'm so desperate to switch carriers that I'm close to settling for the Lumia 710. (Their constant ads aren't helping the need either) I decided to take a look inside the store and here's a couple of things I notice.

1- The phone is freaking ugly: Dear lord what an unfortunate looking device, even worst with the Radar next to it ( Which quite frankly to my surprise, I found it to look delicious). To add insult to insult to injury it's only on White/Black and Black/Black, none of the pretty colors that will make people interested.

2- The phones are not on: just a static picture on there. Hey do you know what's the coolest thing about this OS? well the static, emotionless, plain, none flipping tiles of course. Never saw Windows Phone look so dead before. You can't check the smooth scrolling, the great browser experience, livelihood of the tiles, the fantastic build in Nokia apps. Nothing just a bunch of ugly looking squares that will never catch your attention.

3-The price is not right: After playing with the phone for a couple of minutes (mostly press buttons and whatnot because the screen was dead) I decided to take a look at the price. 99.99$ on contract! excuse me but what? Is that how Nokia is planing to make a splash in the states? The Samsung Focus Flash ( a superior device in every way) it's only 99cents, you can buy 100 Focus Flashes for the price of one Lumia. I thought to myself that this was a mistake and it was probably the price of the Radar since it was next to it but nope, the Radar was 150$ dollars.

That was a really disappointing trip and I'm thinking of sacrificing my wallet to AT&T =(.

Last edited:

IamVortigaunt

May 20, 2011
Visit site
At a tmobile near me, they had a working 710 next to a working radar right at the front of the store. They also had a poster on the window. I don't know that I'd call the 710 ugly. The physical buttons seemed not great but I'm not sure the ones on the flash are great either.

As for the price, it just came out and they're pushing it. Wait a little while and the price might cone down. My friend got a focus s early on and paid much more for it than they're selling them for now.

The radar seems pretty cool, though you'd be missing out on the additional software features of the Nokia device.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
That's what I don't understand, I saw their add on the Newspaper and it said that this phone was 49.99$, a great price in my opinion but at the store is 99$ dollars. I'll check another T-mobile store tomorrow I guess. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
To me, the 710 looks average when it's off. When it's on, it looks nice.

I don't know why the T-Mo store is showing $99. That has to be a mistake.

Though you can get it at Wal-Mart or Costco for pretty much free on contract.

EAA575

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
It's $50 after a $50 mail-in-rebate, so the price is pretty much correct. They don't mention the rebate because that's how carriers are >_>

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
It's $50 after a $50 mail-in-rebate, so the price is pretty much correct. They don't mention the rebate because that's how carriers are >_>

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

Aaah that's evil. So that's why the Radar was also 150$ ( Which is ridiculous since the G2X is the same price, is like saying: Hey everyone don't buy me. )

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Now that's looks desirable. I'm now thinking of AT&T more than ever since it means I'll be getting DAT ACE! but jeez, even though Puerto Rico plans are way cheaper than on the states, the 3G limit just scares me to death.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Also was this a corporate T-Mobile stores or just a 3rd party licenses T-Mobile Reseller.

Because the two corporate T-Mobile stores I went to had a working demos in addition to the non working demos. IE the black version was a demo, but the white was non working but good enough to show the colour difference.

As for me, though of course taste is subjective, I think the Lumia 710 is one of the best looking WP7 devices behind the Lumia 800/900. It easily beats the Focus Flash which is too boxy and the start button is ugly. The Radar 4G is nice, looks better in person than online but still isn't as refined with the two tone.

The Lumia 710 reminds me more of an iPhone, balanced top and bottom unlike most WP7 devices that are bottom heavy.

Also with other devices, you have to remember that the Lumia 710 came out this month, so don't expect its price to be at the same level as devices out in November. Nokia and T-Mobile are gonna to sell all they can at the full price before they start discounting it. And seeing the ad campaign and buzz about the device, its gonna be a while.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
It was at a store. I was on my way to work and since it had such a huge Lumia 710 banner on it, I felt like I need to get in. I'll try the other one tomorrow, the mall I work has two.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I've only been to one TMob store in my college town (I'm not sure where/if the other exists). In it, both the 710 and the Radar were plastic shells with a fake picture. However, it did have lots of signs for the 710, so that was good. I talked to a salesman shortly (he seemed preoccupied with personal matters, which drove me away) and he said they don't keep real phones out because they are afraid that they'll get stolen. Maybe it is an insurance thing, but I mean come on! That is pretty terrible.

Also, don't they have the 710 for TMob at Walmart for like $28?

IamVortigaunt

May 20, 2011
Visit site
The fake phone thing is ridiculous. I had an idea for a YouTube video in which Best Buy opens a car dealership and tries to sell cars using cardboard cutouts of cars.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Exactly, no one is going to buy the Lumia 710 for it's design. Let the OS shine. ( AT&T got it right,they had the Focus free to use )

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hold on T-MO will get the Titian and the 900 by summertime. but would it be worth it? because in the fall Apollo devices.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Well my main problem is that I don't have signal at my work, so that's why I want to change carrier. I find T-mobile's WP offerings to be lacking but I need to get out :(.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Well my main problem is that I don't have signal at my work, so that's why I want to change carrier. I find T-mobile's WP offerings to be lacking but I need to get out :(.
be careful with tmobile too, i tried them earlier last year just to get the hd7, and was an epic fail... their signal was awful! and they claimed to have a tower within a mile from my house! sprint was worse. never tried at$t because ofall the bad things i had heard, so i just bit the bullet and went back to verizon. 900 dollars in fees later...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Was in a store in Gaithersburg and they had a working 710 in black, with posters displayed. Asked the girl that helped me how the 710 was doing and she said its doing well and brought out hers to show me. Showed her my Dell which of course she hadnt seen before but that store experience was definitely better than back when they only had the HD7.

flash_focus

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget to check the Microsoft store online, I was just browsing because I was bored and saw that the 710 was free with contract, upgrade, and add a line

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss