Don't you think the WP UI overuses/underuses space too often?

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I felt compelled to click "No" because the question said "too often." If it read "Do you think sometimes space is overused/underused?" then I would've answered yes.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The UI does waste a lot of screen real estate on white/blank space. Tiles really don't have to be that big, and there should be a way to group apps on the Start Screen (sorry!), the app list needs some work. Text runs off the screen with no way to see what things really are... The header in many apps and hubs serves no purpose but to waste space. I'd rather they just had a splash screen or something, personally.

Additionally, Tile sizes would probably be fine if the OS supported higher DPI displays and there were devices using those displays out. Becuase they aren't so startlingly big on small devices like the Focus Flash (in fact the UI actually looks rather pleasant at that screen size, provided the screen is of a decent type - which SAMOLED is), but they are heinous on bigger devices like the HD7 (borderline) and Titan (showstopping).

So, if the Titan had a 720p Display the Tiles could potentially not be so huge (same for Focus/HD7/etc. if they had qHD displays) and it would also allow for more text to be visible in things like Zune and the app list - not to mention the quality improvement on media viewing (pictures and video) which would come as a side-product of a higher DPI.

Its Zune. Exactly the same on the Zune devices.

My biggest issue with Zune is the lack of Landscape support, leading to issues like in the attached image. If the problem isn't obvious, then I dunno what to say. Imagine downloading a 50 track Opera from Zune and having it be completely unreadable because the titles are cut off and you can't even flip the screen to landscape to get useful information on each track... Shrinking the text would also help.

Sorry, but text running off the screen like that coupled with the lack of landscape support is beyond sloppy.

And I have several albums where this issue is in full effect. It makes getting to tracks a total PITA. You either have to remember the track number, it's placement in the list, or simply play one and scan through them until you find the one you need. None of that should be necessary. Should be able to flip to landscape and see what you want.

And how about a setting to control text size? Wouldn't that be brilliantly innovative in 2012?

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
The UI does waste a lot of screen real estate on white/blank space. Tiles really don't have to be that big, and there should be a way to group apps on the Start Screen (sorry!), the app list needs some work. Text runs off the screen with no way to see what things really are... The header in many apps and hubs serves no purpose but to waste space. I'd rather they just had a splash screen or something, personally.
The whole thing with text running off the screen is part of the Metro style and design. That's essentially its "signature" and I honestly don't see that going away. I actually like it and also like the large tiles. It differentiates WP from other OSs. Regarding app grouping, I hope the rumor is true that Tango will bring that to the user, especially if it can be done in an elegant fashion.
My biggest issue with Zune is the lack of Landscape support, leading to issues like in the attached image. If the problem isn't obvious, then I dunno what to say. Imagine downloading a 50 track Opera from Zune and having it be completely unreadable because the titles are cut off and you can't even flip the screen to landscape to get useful information on each track... Shrinking the text would also help.

Sorry, but text running off the screen like that coupled with the lack of landscape support is beyond sloppy.
I agree that landscape UI support would be nice, but again, the core Metro UI will probably never be altered the way you mention.
And how about a setting to control text size? Wouldn't that be brilliantly innovative in 2012?
That might work if all the text on the screen scales accordingly, but again, Microsoft probably won't go for it because it affects the Metro's look and feel in general.

Based on your posts, you don't appear too receptive of Metro in general. Have you considered other OSs that better suit your needs?

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I love the homescreen just like is. The only place I would do changes is in the Zune music player to bring it more in line with how the ZuneHD was.

But the homescreen is perfect. If they removed the slide over button and assume you just knew you could slide over and filled the whole screen with squares it just would look awful and boring. Even Windows 8 doesn't allow the tiles to use every inch of the screen, thats the beauty of Metro. Its thoughtful, because there is a very small line between simple and having the look that you didn't bother to design at all.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes I wonder why people have a wp7. I read what they say they want, and it sounds just like android, or ios.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I think there are areas that could be refined, but overall I'm pleased with it how the space is used. I think there are other areas of the os that need attention more than the ui.

Reaction80

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I think it looks great just the way it is. Obviously things will be changed here and there in future updates - that's simply evolution - but no, I'm more than happy with it.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
The current design is excellent. Califdude, your "new kid on the block" characterization/thinking misses the understanding that these are advanced design commitments that are part the creative path to Windows 8, a path designed to optimize touch where big tiles are functionally as well as visually ideal. Of course, they won't be ideal for everyone, especially early on, and many old kids will remain where they are.

The last thing I want are little-tile grids that simulate the mindless app grids that populate the screens of the usual suspects. If that is old-kid "design", I'm going with the new kids. I agree with aubreyq's sense that the original poster may have landed on the wrong platform. ;)

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Earlier I was playing with my wife's iPhone 4. I wish my WP had some of the refinement the iPhone offers, but I find some of the ways it does things to be awkward. I hope as WP evolves it retains the easy to use characteristics I enjoy, but adds some of the features I enjoy on the iPhone.

Sent from my Windows7 Phone using Board Express

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
That might work if all the text on the screen scales accordingly, but again, Microsoft probably won't go for it because it affects the Metro's look and feel in general.

Microsoft won't do this for the same reason they don't want a web browser on the xbox.. it would look like trash. More likely we would see pinch zooming instead.

firebrewd

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I didn't realize the keyboard wasn't fully extended in Landscape. That's a major oversight.

That's not an oversight. I remember they mentioned it in a really old video when WP7 was in development. The reason is, if they extended the keyboard, it wouldn't be centered because the menu bar covers some space on the right. So it's a design decision to make typing easier, having the keyboard on the center of the screen.

Calidude

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes I wonder why people have a wp7. I read what they say they want, and it sounds just like android, or ios.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express
I like WP7, but it tries so hard to be different from the other two that it has gone so far off as to misuse things like space usage. I want to get a Nokia device when Apollo comes out, but Apollo needs to refine the UI before WP can be taken seriously by most people and not just appreciated because it's so DIFFERENT from the major OS's

The whole thing with text running off the screen is part of the Metro style and design. That's essentially its "signature" and I honestly don't see that going away.
This is what I was talking about in this post. The text running off the screen serves no purpose to the user. It's just about trying to be different. Good design is ALWAYS purposeful.

That's not an oversight. I remember they mentioned it in a really old video when WP7 was in development. The reason is, if they extended the keyboard, it wouldn't be centered because the menu bar covers some space on the right. So it's a design decision to make typing easier, having the keyboard on the center of the screen.
If it absolutely makes typing easier, why do some people in this thread not like having the keyboard be centered? If it does as you say, everybody would think it was fine as is.

Last edited:

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
This is what I was talking about in this post. The text running off the screen serves no purpose to the user. It's just about trying to be different. Good design is ALWAYS purposeful.

Heheh and what if that purpose was for aesthetics? Does that make it "bad" design because your idea of purpose must be functional?

If it absolutely makes typing easier, why do some people in this thread not like having the keyboard be centered? If it does as you say, everybody would think it was fine as is.

That's kind of weird logic. You can have people still disagree on the implementation of something that was intended for a benefit.

Calidude

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Heheh and what if that purpose was for aesthetics? Does that make it "bad" design because your idea of purpose must be functional?
Good design when it comes to gadgets is always nice looking and functional.

That's kind of weird logic. You can have people still disagree on the implementation of something that was intended for a benefit.
Not if the product actually benefits everybody, as Microsoft's design is intended to do.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I agree with aubreyq's sense that the original poster may have landed on the wrong platform. ;)
Appreciate the comment but to be clear, I was referring to N8ter in my remarks, not the OP, although in general, it appears that there's a few of our members here that are probably on the wrong platform and would be better off switching to the competition until WP wins them back ;)

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I definitely don't agree with the OP. He seems to have an engineer's mentality, wanting to cram as much information and functionality on the screen as possible. That is anti-design. Consider interior decoration. Decorators try to create open spaces as much as possible. If they put three couches and six chairs in the same room there would be more places to sit, but the room would look cluttered and would be harder to navigate through. Let's not sacrifice beauty and ease of use by cluttering up Windows Phone in the same manner.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Agree with a bunch of you. It's not about cramming things in. It's not Tetris.

As for the headers that cut off at the top... It's meant to signify yo the user that more information can be found with a swipe to the side.

However, I will agree with the arrow not being all that great. But since this is a completely different paradigm, the user doesn't know to swipe yet. I expect that arrow to eventually disappear once the OS is mainstream.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb