Don't you think the WP UI overuses/underuses space too often?

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
The metro idea is great in theory, but I think the entire UI needs a complete overhaul..
from notifications, menu information, app list, etc.. to the whole look and wasted real estate of the home screen.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The metro idea is great in theory, but I think the entire UI needs a complete overhaul..
from notifications, menu information, app list, etc.. to the whole look and wasted real estate of the home screen.

Yea, I've basically given up on giving feedback. And I agree the theory of Metro was nice but the excecution leaves much to be desired.

Nice for someone who just wants to see or use something new and different, but I'm beyond that point (probably cause I've had this device so long now).

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
.. Good design is ALWAYS purposeful.

.. this is as accurate as it is incomplete.

... Not if the product actually benefits everybody, as Microsoft's design is intended to do.

I doubt that any mature designer practices with this illusion -benefit, nor please everybody, or even close to everybody; and this thread illustrates the illusion.

It's not Tetris.

However, I will agree with the arrow not being all that great. But since this is a completely different paradigm, the user doesn't know to swipe yet. I expect that arrow to eventually disappear once the OS is mainstream.

Tetris.. good one, WG; but, still too much open space in my game.

As for the arrow, I've learned that I'm a better arrow-toucher than swiper. It may be a matter of manual dexterity or hand-size, but I'd actually like the arrow lowered about a cm or half-inch in both forward and back modes. BTW, it's not major, but that arrow's rotation is a good example of Microsoft's elegant design.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The reason I'm not a fan of the arrow is just because it isn't as subtle as everything else. The whole Metro design in general is almost built on what we've already been conditioned to know. Almost instinct I suppose. It doesn't have to explicitly tell us something. Instead, we get visual hints through animation, text going off screen, or seeing hits of the next screen.

But I do see the benefit of having a button to press if you don't want to swipe. And I do see how the arrow adds clarity to its function. Clarity that is needed because the paradigm is essentially an unfamiliar one to most people. But I imagine that in time the explicit nature of having an arrow will be replaced with something more subtle.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
once you know to swipe right to left if you could have a dialog box with a check box box dont show this again (admitedly windows mobilesque) or something similarly metro, then that screen space could be opened up. Its not something I am in favor of but it would be an option to consider. I like it the way it is probably because I am used to doing it ( Its the presbyterian in me)!

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Another thing that I don't like is that for example in the Documents app, there's also that wasted space on the right. I mean what's the point in having the battery and such hide in landscape if you can't use that space?

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The Metro design and layout is what converted me from the iPhone to Windows Phone. I still have my MP3 collection on my iPod Touch and I cringe every time I have to look at that stale, outdated mess.
Metro is elegant and intuitive. As far as the look and layout goes, it's apparent that the devlopers invested a lot of well thought out time into the aesthetic of the user interface. I think they nailed it and I wouldn't change anything.

Calidude

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Stop faking dude.
Faking? Faking what, exactly?

I definitely don't agree with the OP. He seems to have an engineer's mentality, wanting to cram as much information and functionality on the screen as possible. That is anti-design. Consider interior decoration. Decorators try to create open spaces as much as possible. If they put three couches and six chairs in the same room there would be more places to sit, but the room would look cluttered and would be harder to navigate through. Let's not sacrifice beauty and ease of use by cluttering up Windows Phone in the same manner.
Your analogy is flawed. Interior design isn't the same as UI design. Nobody LIVES in the WP UI design, and I never said that every space had to be filled. I'm saying that too often, there's empty space that isn't being used, or space that is being taken up by fonts and buttons that are too big. Good UI design optimizes the use of space.

The reason I'm not a fan of the arrow is just because it isn't as subtle as everything else. The whole Metro design in general is almost built on what we've already been conditioned to know. Almost instinct I suppose. It doesn't have to explicitly tell us something. Instead, we get visual hints through animation, text going off screen, or seeing hits of the next screen.

But I do see the benefit of having a button to press if you don't want to swipe. And I do see how the arrow adds clarity to its function. Clarity that is needed because the paradigm is essentially an unfamiliar one to most people. But I imagine that in time the explicit nature of having an arrow will be replaced with something more subtle.
Know why the arrow in the start screen is there? It's there so that start screen doesn't look like a screen that is packed with very large icons, like an oversized iOS. That's it. No other reason.

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Faking? Faking what, exactly?

Faking being a design expert by telling others that they don't understand design principles.

Your analogy is flawed. Interior design isn't the same as UI design. Nobody LIVES in the WP UI design, and I never said that every space had to be filled. I'm saying that too often, there's empty space that isn't being used, or space that is being taken up by fonts and buttons that are too big. Good UI design optimizes the use of space.

And WP has been praised for its clarity and focus on making task-centric activities quick and easy. So what's the problem? You don't like the tiles? Then get an iPhone.

Know why the arrow in the start screen is there? It's there so that start screen doesn't look like a screen that is packed with very large icons, like an oversized iOS. That's it. No other reason.

lol

Are you being serious?

You should check out Mike Kruzeniski's blog. Some good stuff in there. And after reading it, you might be able to realize that this wasn't just thrown together haphazardly.

Mike Kruzeniski – From Transportation to Pixels
Mike Kruzeniski – The Aesthetics of Interaction Design
Mike Kruzeniski – How Print Design is the Future of Interaction

Calidude

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Faking being a design expert by telling others that they don't understand design principles.
You don't have to be a design expert to see that WP needs to be refined. You really don't.

And WP has been praised for its clarity and focus on making task-centric activities quick and easy. So what's the problem? You don't like the tiles? Then get an iPhone.
I like the tiles. I like WP's potential. However, the lack of refinement in the UI is what WP needs work on. It is too minimalistic at times and oversized where it shouldn't be. Once those things go away, you'll see a lot of people adopting Windows Phone.

I'm not saying I don't like Metro. I do like it. I just think Metro on Windows Phone hasn't been optimized for the screen size. Once the UI has been made more focused, you'll forget that it ever used to look like this.

lol

Are you being serious?

You should check out Mike Kruzeniski's blog. Some good stuff in there. And after reading it, you might be able to realize that this wasn't just thrown together haphazardly.
I know it wasn't, but I know the UI isn't even close to perfect yet. It still needs to be tweaked.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You don't have to be a design expert to see that WP needs to be refined. You really don't.

What is your definition of refinement? I happen to look at it and find the design the most refined in the industry right now.

WP still has some gaps in functionality, but that's not related to the UI design.

I like the tiles. I like WP's potential. However, the lack of refinement in the UI is what WP needs work on. It is too minimalistic at times and oversized where it shouldn't be. Once those things go away, you'll see a lot of people adopting Windows Phone.

The minimalism isn't going to change. It's a core tenet of the design language. And the parts that you see as "oversized" serve a function. Live Tiles need to carry information. And if the tiles were too small, that information would not be as easily readable on smaller screens.

The main principles are as follows:

Typography.
Type is beautiful. Not only is it attractive to the eye, but it can also be functional. The right balance of weight and positioning can create a visual hierarchy. Additionally, well placed type can help lead you to more content.

Motion
Motion is what brings the interface to life. Transitions are just as important as graphical design. By developing a consistent set of motions or animations, a system is created that provides context for usability, extra dimension and depth and improves the perceived performance of the whole interface.

Content not Chrome
Content not Chrome is one of the more unique principles of Metro. By removing all notions of extra chrome in the UI, the content becomes the main focus. This is especially relevant due to the smaller screen size and gesture-based interactions.

Honesty.
Design explicitly for the form factor of a hand held device using touch, a high resolution screen and simplified and expedited forms of interaction. In other words, be “authentically digital”.

I'm not saying I don't like Metro. I do like it. I just think Metro on Windows Phone hasn't been optimized for the screen size. Once the UI has been made more focused, you'll forget that it ever used to look like this.

I know it wasn't, but I know the UI isn't even close to perfect yet. It still needs to be tweaked.

Nothing is perfect. And we'll continue to see an evolution. But it sounds like you have a completely different design philosophy.

And that's not necessarily wrong. It's just different. But they are differences that won't be incorporated into this design language because they go against the basic principles that it's built upon.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't have the vision to see how the UI could be improved, but I'm sure Microsoft has plenty of smart people working on it. I think they are very aware of their standing in the smartphone world right now and want to improve their product. I can live with the UI as it is, but I hope some of weaknesses of the os are addressed in future updates.

Sent from my Windows7 Phone using Board Express

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

I wouldn't like Metro changed. I'll like it improved.

I was trying a friend of mine Sensantion and there's a lot of things awesome about it. The scrolling is silky smooth and I really like the pictures app. But then I tried to do some web browsing and couldn't find it... I try and try and try, Chrome,Moxilla,Safari, Internet explorer, Browser, any icon with a globe on it. Nothing, I gave up in frustrating and handed the device back.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
If you couldn't did the web browser on a sensation the device or is isn't the issue. All sense devices use the same icon and name for that app. It is plainly obvious. As obvious as IE on any windows phone.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

Calidude

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
If you couldn't did the web browser on a sensation the device or is isn't the issue. All sense devices use the same icon and name for that app. It is plainly obvious. As obvious as IE on any windows phone.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
IE should be open-sourced. It's so behind Webkit and even Gecko that it's comical.

Plus the look of IE on Windows Phone definitely needs some tweaking.

firebrewd

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I'd love to see an implementation of Metro with the ideas some of these guys have, or at least an app in another platform which makes use of them. Personally, I wouldn't like Metro changed at all, as the principles and language are almost perfect, not just by design, but also by function, and the implementation works amazingly well.

I agree some posters might have landed in the wrong OS, wanting to change everything to look like Android or iOS. Personally, I wouldn't use an iPhone at all, because I dislike the UI and desktop paradigms it employs. N8ter, may I ask why are you using a Windows Phone if you seem to basically dislike Metro? I'd like to know.

firebrewd

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
IE should be open-sourced. It's so behind Webkit and even Gecko that it's comical.

Plus the look of IE on Windows Phone definitely needs some tweaking.

Behind on...?

And the look of IE needs some tweaking? Wow, it's almost chrome-less, consisting of just an address bar and an icon. Complain much?

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Good design when it comes to gadgets is always nice looking and functional.

Heh. Why, because you said so?

Not if the product actually benefits everybody, as Microsoft's design is intended to do.

So because it doesn't actually benefit everybody then not putting the keyboard in full landscape is a major oversight? I mean I can see that, and certainly then you're entitled to your opinion. In which case then, if you're trying to tear down WP, shouldn't you at least have the courtesy to acknowledge that Android has certain design choices that are major oversights?

Calidude

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Heh. Why, because you said so?
No. Because it's common sense.

So because it doesn't actually benefit everybody then not putting the keyboard in full landscape is a major oversight? I mean I can see that, and certainly then you're entitled to your opinion. In which case then, if you're trying to tear down WP, shouldn't you at least have the courtesy to acknowledge that Android has certain design choices that are major oversights?
I'm not trying to tear down WP. I'm trying to show people that WP still needs work and isn't perfect. I want WP to look and feel great in everybody's hands. Not just people who are impressed by WP just because it is DIFFERENT from iOS and Android but because it is different AND reaches the true potential of how a smartphone OS should look and feel.

Android is garbage. Google has no idea what they are doing when it comes to a phone OS and are merely cobbling something out of the Linux kernel haphazardly in order for millions of people to enter their personal data into it so it can become cloudfood. I've been nothing but disappointed by every Android handset I pick up. Anybody who really cares about open-source would never pick up an Android handset and instead would wait for something like Meego or its predecessor Tizen in order to try something that is actually stable, functional and simple to use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss