Don't you think the WP UI overuses/underuses space too often?

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
No. Because it's common sense.

But only as it pertains to gadgets? Everything else that doesn't follow that rule just is automatically bad design? What about gadgets that came before? Did they all have bad design when they came out or are they still good?

I'm not trying to tear down WP. I'm trying to show people that WP still needs work and isn't perfect. I want WP to look and feel great in everybody's hands. Not just people who are impressed by WP just because it is DIFFERENT from iOS and Android but because it is different AND reaches the true potential of how a smartphone OS should look and feel.

Oh I see, so you're just on here because you think everybody is some big WP7 ****** and you feel the need to "correct" them. Is that it?

Otherwise if you're here to strictly debate design would you at least provide references to these design principles you speak of or provide mock ups to demonstrate more elegant approaches or statistics indicating how the UI design hinders work flow or could be increase if done X way?

Calidude

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
But only as it pertains to gadgets? Everything else that doesn't follow that rule just is automatically bad design?
Yes.

Otherwise if you're here to strictly debate design would you at least provide references to these design principles you speak of or provide mock ups to demonstrate more elegant approaches or statistics indicating how the UI design hinders work flow or could be increase if done X way?
I've already described the flaws I've seen off the top of my head. They don't need mockups to make them clear to people. It's as simple as moving things up, stretching them out, resizing buttons, streamlining toolbars, changing the fontsizes, etc.

Metro isn't fundamentally flawed. It is only cosmetically flawed.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
N8ter, may I ask why are you using a Windows Phone if you seem to basically dislike Metro? I'd like to know.

Being honest, since I joined, I haven't been able to workout why N8ter or jdd77 continue to use WP7. Don't get me wrong, we're all free to use whatever OS we like, but it makes zero sense to use a platform you clearly don't like, especially when you lack the ability to judge an OS on it's own merits. Sadly, I've come to the conclusion that these guys breathe Android, and for some bizarre motivation, they feel the need to tell themselves that WP isn't for them.

S1NKING SH1PS

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. I could nitpick a few centimeters here and there but the amount of additional information I'd see on the screen would be minimal. Right now everything looks bold and beautiful. The UI is easy to see and understand. I'd hate it if the UI became a cluttered mess because of information overload.

for sure. a reason i was bummed with android. it got so overwhelming with all the icons/text packed into such a small space. one of many reasons i prefer wp7 over android :p

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Metro isn't fundamentally flawed. It is only cosmetically flawed.

I hate to be the barer of bad news, but you're way out with a miniscule minority on this one. The general consensus among critics is that Metro UI is quite beautiful to look at cosmetically.

Calidude

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I hate to be the barer of bad news, but you're way out with a miniscule minority on this one. The general consensus among critics is that Metro UI is quite beautiful to look at cosmetically.
Compared to other OS's, yes. However, there is still room for improvement.

Calidude

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
But, to say it's the most beautiful OS, yet it's "cosmetically flawed" makes no sense. I'm struggling to understand your assessment.
It is the most beautiful OS since it works in a way that a small screen should display information, rather than the way Android and iOS try to emulate desktop environments.

However, WP still needs to work on how it presents that information, since there is still a considerable amount of underused and overused space that needs to be balanced out.

In other words: great concept, but the execution still needs to be tweaked to perfection.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
It is the most beautiful OS since it works in a way that a small screen should display information, rather than the way Android and iOS try to emulate desktop environments.

However, WP still needs to work on how it presents that information, since there is still a considerable amount of underused and overused space that needs to be balanced out.

In other words: great concept, but the execution still needs to be tweaked to perfection.

Okay, I think "cosmetic" threw me off as I didn't realise you were referring to the concept.

There's no doubt we'll see more tweaks come Apollo, but personally, I hope things don't go down the Android route. I honestly can't stand clutter.

Calidude

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I think "cosmetic" threw me off as I didn't realise you were referring to the concept.

There's no doubt we'll see more tweaks come Apollo, but personally, I hope things don't go down the Android route. I honestly can't stand clutter.
I'm not saying I want clutter. Allow me to illustrate.

tOPgT.jpg

^ What's up with that space I marked with a red box? Why is the text forced down while the timestamp sits there in the corner? Why don't Notifications use that space to present information more usefully, such as moving the senders name up there and then letting the body of the message scroll under it like a stock ticker?

There's really no design reason for that space not to be used in some way.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I have to disagree. I wouldn't want 'the message' to share the same line as the clock. At a quick glance, by pushing the message down, you can clearly separate the two.

The only other option, IMO, would be to loose the time all together, but that could present problems for people who want to reference the time when they read the message.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Being honest, since I joined, I haven't been able to workout why N8ter or jdd77 continue to use WP7. Don't get me wrong, we're all free to use whatever OS we like, but it makes zero sense to use a platform you clearly don't like, especially when you lack the ability to judge an OS on it's own merits. Sadly, I've come to the conclusion that these guys breathe Android, and for some bizarre motivation, they feel the need to tell themselves that WP isn't for them.
I'm as puzzled as you are.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I have to disagree. I wouldn't want 'the message' to share the same line as the clock. At a quick glance, by pushing the message down, you can clearly separate the two.

The only other option, IMO, would be to loose the time all together, but that could present problems for people who want to reference the time when they read the message.

Agreed, the extra space serves a purpose. It makes it easier to actually touch the notification. They could make the font bigger but not only would it look silly we'd also lose information because we'd see less of the sentence.

Maybe they think constant complaining on an internet forum will actually make a difference. It's like being stuck in a traffic jam. Traffic isn't going to move faster no matter how hard you honk. A better solution would be to contact/work with city engineers to find a better solution, but the better solution takes time and effort.

Calidude

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, the extra space serves a purpose. It makes it easier to actually touch the notification. They could make the font bigger but not only would it look silly we'd also lose information because we'd see less of the sentence,
That's not the point. Of course it needs to be big enough for a finger. However, why isn't that space used more?

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
If the top line was used people wouldn't know if that's the message time stamp or the current time. And no, they aren't always the same.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
That's not the point. Of course it needs to be big enough for a finger. However, why isn't that space used more?

Used more for what? To clutter it with more information? To jam some more icons in there? To make the font bigger? Like others have already said, it's a combination of simplicity and functionality. If you wanted a Frankenstein OS then you've come to the wrong place.

Last edited:

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site

You're not going to get any sort of logical, intelligent debate on this here. I found that out the other day when my thread got closed for asking a question about why a select few are so defensive about the look and feel of WP7.

It seems a cell phone operating system is a VERY sensitive subject for some around here.

By the way, I agree with you.

And, in saying that, I fully expect this thread to be closed.

(Just wanted to add that, for those of you saying the OS is "perfect and looks exactly how it should" - how many times has Microsoft tweaked the look or feel of their OS on other platforms? How about nearly every update? Go through the years and look at all the variations of Windows and the various Xbox Live Dashboards. Obviously there's ALWAYS room for improvement)

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
You're not going to get any sort of logical, intelligent debate on this here. I found that out the other day when my thread got closed for asking a question about why a select few are so defensive about the look and feel of WP7.

It seems a cell phone operating system is a VERY sensitive subject for some around here.

By the way, I agree with you.

And, in saying that, I fully expect this thread to be closed.

There's plenty of intelligent debate here but don't pretend that your opinion is superior because it's your opinion.

As far as your thread getting closed - don't derail this thread with your butt hurt feelings or it will get closed.

(Just wanted to add that, for those of you saying the OS is "perfect and looks exactly how it should" - how many times has Microsoft tweaked the look or feel of their OS on other platforms? How about nearly every update? Go through the years and look at all the variations of Windows and the various Xbox Live Dashboards. Obviously there's ALWAYS room for improvement)

An improvement to one person isn't an improvement to another.

Last edited:

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Becuase they aren't so startlingly big on small devices like the Focus Flash (in fact the UI actually looks rather pleasant at that screen size, provided the screen is of a decent type - which SAMOLED is), but they are heinous on bigger devices like the HD7 (borderline) and Titan (showstopping).

Strongly disagree. While I agree I'd like to shrink text sometimes, the start screen is great the way it is. I am very happy with its presentation on my Titan.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Earlier I was playing with my wife's iPhone 4. I wish my WP had some of the refinement the iPhone offers, but I find some of the ways it does things to be awkward. I hope as WP evolves it retains the easy to use characteristics I enjoy, but adds some of the features I enjoy on the iPhone.

Sent from my Windows7 Phone using Board Express

You wouldn't be referring to chrome, would you?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)