Don't you think the WP UI overuses/underuses space too often?

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Agree with a bunch of you. It's not about cramming things in. It's not Tetris.

As for the headers that cut off at the top... It's meant to signify yo the user that more information can be found with a swipe to the side.

However, I will agree with the arrow not being all that great. But since this is a completely different paradigm, the user doesn't know to swipe yet. I expect that arrow to eventually disappear once the OS is mainstream.

That blank vertical column also gives new users a way to scroll without constantly accidently tapping on tiles. Think about people who may be less familiar with touch screens than we are.

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
This graphic summarizes my view of the situation...

locot.png

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm not saying I want clutter. Allow me to illustrate.

Click to view quoted image

^ What's up with that space I marked with a red box? Why is the text forced down while the timestamp sits there in the corner? Why don't Notifications use that space to present information more usefully, such as moving the senders name up there and then letting the body of the message scroll under it like a stock ticker?

There's really no design reason for that space not to be used in some way.

What you're asking for is clutter.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
That blank vertical column also gives new users a way to scroll without constantly accidently tapping on tiles. Think about people who may be less familiar with touch screens than we are.

Agreed. I happen the Metro design makes excellent use of white space in a manner that is not only visually appealing, but also subtly functional.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Seems off to me since the design of Metro is actually built to enhance functionality.

thats what iw as gona say..

im sorry but Metro UI is Much more functional then android's or IOS *STATIC* none functional UI * lol...

like saying PC windows desktop is functional cause i can place icons where i want.. lol its easier for me to remember where my icons are but not more functional..

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
this thread should be closed. Holy crap. Its like a convention of engineers trying to design a UI. Yeah lets just stuff as much crap in every corner that we can. Complaining about the space under the arrow and toast notifications? I don't even... When we want a screen full of crap we will go back to android.

*edit* im pretty sure there is something there if your status notifications are visible at the time

Last edited:

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Maybe they think constant complaining on an internet forum will actually make a difference. It's like being stuck in a traffic jam. Traffic isn't going to move faster no matter how hard you honk. A better solution would be to contact/work with city engineers to find a better solution, but the better solution takes time and effort.

Read the title of this thread. It ASKS for people's OPINIONS. What kind of posts did you think you'd find here?
I gave my OPINION...but somehow its a complaint.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
this thread should be closed. Holy crap. Its like a convention of engineers trying to design a UI. Yeah lets just stuff as much crap in every corner that we can. Complaining about the space under the arrow and toast notifications? I don't even... When we want a screen full of crap we will go back to android.

lol , thats the problem , TO MANY android converts thinking they can change the world.

but look at the poll only 12-13 people want it to be changed.. and 40+ say its perfect....

so yeah.. can we close this thread!!

and if you have suggestions posting them on this forum is 100% RENT!! and suggestion are NOT taken into account by MS.

MS doesn't come here to see suggestions!!!!! LOL!they go here!! Customer Feedback for Windows Phone

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Read the title of this thread. It ASKS for people's OPINIONS. What kind of posts did you think you'd find here?
I gave my OPINION...but somehow its a complaint.

Except we weren't talking about just this thread but some people's generally reasoning for owning a Windows Phone.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
lol , thats the problem , TO MANY android converts thinking they can change the world.

but look at the poll only 12-13 people want it to be changed.. and 40+ say its perfect....

so yeah.. can we close this thread!!

and if you have suggestions posting them on this forum is 100% RENT!! and suggestion are NOT taken into account by MS.

MS doesn't come here to see suggestions!!!!! LOL!they go here!! Customer Feedback for Windows Phone

I don't think the thread should be closed.

I think it's fine for them to have different opinions. And if we disagree with them, they'll at least see why.

CaliDude seems like he really likes Metro at first, but then his technical side starts making him think that he can engineer improvements. And that's not bad. We all want to see the platform grow and improve.

I happen to disagree with his ideas about what he'd do to improve it. In my opinion it would be a step backwards. But shouldn't we be allowed to discuss design without the threat of the thread being closed?

And for others than want the whole UI changed... well, for some people iOS and Android are better choices. Not just because of certain functionality, but because of different design preferences. And that's okay.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It's not clutter. It's just making efficient use of space. Does everything on Windows Phone have to have unused space? Does that make it different enough from Android and iOS for you?

It's visual clutter.

Can you pack in more information that way? Sure. But it doesn't do much to pull the eyes to the information you want people to see when it's lined up with other less relevant information.

The space you pointed out had to be a conscious decision made based on their design philosophy. With effective use of white space in order to enhance the user's ability to take in information quickly and easily without it being jarring.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well closing the thread is not gona happen , people are allowed to give there opinion, i agree.

i think i just jump the GUN on*closing the thread* cause people get all defensive about there Ideas that have no weight.

as long as we don't *argue* and keep it as a clean*debate* we can do/say what we want ( following the basic rules of the site of course )

firebrewd

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
"Efficient use of space" doesn't equal to filling every corner with information. Which one do you think uses the space more efficiently? This: http://cache2.artprintimages.com/p/...13-1861-war-commenced-the-first-gun-fired.jpg or this: http://abagond.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/nyt20020911.jpg. Sure, the first one has much more information, but I bet anything it's way easier to read the second one.

What about book margins? A waste of space, right? Only problem is it makes the book easier to read, even if you don't realize it. And what about line height? http://devfiles.myopera.com/articles/359/06-line-height.gif One fits less characters on screen, but guess which one is easier to read, again?

I can go on and on about the subject, but the point is that the UI which can fit 40 icons at once isn't more efficient just because it can. You need to take other considerations, like readability and information density.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
"Efficient use of space" doesn't equal to filling every corner with information. Which one do you think uses the space more efficiently? This: http://cache2.artprintimages.com/p/...13-1861-war-commenced-the-first-gun-fired.jpg or this: http://abagond.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/nyt20020911.jpg. Sure, the first one has much more information, but I bet anything it's way easier to read the second one.

What about book margins? A waste of space, right? Only problem is it makes the book easier to read, even if you don't realize it. And what about line height? http://devfiles.myopera.com/articles/359/06-line-height.gif One fits less characters on screen, but guess which one is easier to read, again?

I can go on and on about the subject, but the point is that the UI which can fit 40 icons at once isn't more efficient just because it can. You need to take other considerations, like readability and information density.

I like the colored pictures. :) Rolf!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It's built to enhance usability and make everything easy to use, not to have the most features and functionality.

You're right. Functionality was the wrong word. Usability is more accurate.

But the missing functionality isn't UI design related. When new functionality comes in, the current UI will incorporate it in a very smart and usable fashion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb