Don't you think the WP UI overuses/underuses space too often?

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
What about the encrypted devices or ones that otherwise have no or shoddy rom support. I played that never ending flashing game. Its ridiculous how crazy people get over it too.

Oh the locked bootloaders and stuff? Yeah, that's when people start complaining lol.

I used to do that to, but I left Android for iOS, then left iOS for WP7.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Oh the locked bootloaders and stuff? Yeah, that's when people start complaining lol.

I used to do that to, but I left Android for iOS, then left iOS for WP7.

Yep. A friends brother got a Droid Pro brand new just to turn around and be told that its stuck at 2.2 forever and then find out that it has a locked boot loader.

The so-called UI designers are too busy worshiping Metro. Apparently, it's perfect. Nothing needs to be done!
The argument that metro is mostly right on is valid. I don't see anyone switching to other devices and praising its UI as a main talking point. Since we are on the subject take a look here: Google tells Android devs to kick the menu button to the curb, seriously you guys -- Engadget

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
The main issue in the thread just seems to be peoples differing perceptions of what a tweak is.

I would say yes, there is probably room for some refinements. To me that means that some of the headers might be reduced by 1 or 2 pixels, or a line might move up 1 or 2 pixels. Which is fair enough, that is a tightening of the OS that wont affect the usability or visual style of the OS.

A lot of what has been suggested here would be total over hauls of the UI, a re-writing of the Metro design language which would result in significant change across not just WP7, but also Windows 8 and Xbox. The Metro style as far as its key principles are set in stone now. You might not like them, but that does not make MS wrong any more than it makes you wrong for wanting something different.

Now can we all put on our big boy pants and have a civilised discussion about this or are we just monkeys throwing our crap at each other?

Calidude

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

MannLou

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
You know if some of you so-called UI designers are so damn good, why don't you apply to Microsoft's Windows Phone UI design team and improve it instead of *****ing like a bunch of spoiled brats.

As a designer myself I can attest to this - everyone thinks they're a designer. :)

No OS is perfect but I think WP has a great start and a solid design language to work from. Enhancements are coming and Windows 8 is sure to inspire additional changes to the UI.

People are thrown off by intentional design elements like the right side of page hinting at additional pivots while some love the subtle suggestion. It's a preference. Any change from the norm is met with resistance.

Sent from my kick-*** TITAN using Board Express

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't the HD7 have a tiny 12xx mAh battery? What was HTC thinking?

Nah, you don't have to. I think people who really like Android are the ones who root, mod, and hack their phones so they'll just install custom ROMs.

You think 270 more mah would make it have incredible battery life? 1500 was pretty standard when this phone was released.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
You think 270 more mah would make it have incredible battery life? 1500 was pretty standard when this phone was released.

Not incredible battery life, but it still would have been an improvement. The reason I didn't get the HD7 back then is because I felt HTC didn't even bother. It seems like they just took an HD2 and slapped WP7 on it without upgrading anything.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Not incredible battery life, but it still would have been an improvement. The reason I didn't get the HD7 back then is because I felt HTC didn't even bother. It seems like they just took an HD2 and slapped WP7 on it without upgrading anything.

It would probably give it an extra 20-30 minutes, if even that depending on usage. It is not a big improvement. Motorola 1Ghz devices were shipping with 1400 mAh batteries and they still had factorably more longevity than the HD7.

The issue I have is that the battery drains super fast even when you're doing relatively light tasks on the phone. It seems like the screen is imposing a large amount of battery drain, cause if the screen is off the phone lasts twice as long (i.e. can play music for twice that length of time and I can WiFi tether my iTouch for at least that long before the battery gets low - at least, probably longer from what I've seen).

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
It would probably give it an extra 20-30 minutes, if even that depending on usage. It is not a big improvement. Motorola 1Ghz devices were shipping with 1400 mAh batteries and they still had factorably more longevity than the HD7.

The issue I have is that the battery drains super fast even when you're doing relatively light tasks on the phone. It seems like the screen is imposing a large amount of battery drain, cause if the screen is off the phone lasts twice as long (i.e. can play music for twice that length of time and I can WiFi tether my iTouch for at least that long before the battery gets low - at least, probably longer from what I've seen).

Screen, WiFi, and GPS are all top battery killers. Question for people with horrid battery life. Where are you in relation to cell towers? Radio will eat your battery like none other to maintain signal if you are in a bad area. There are other things too obviously. How often do your accounts sync, location services in apps, etc

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It drains proportionately faster than other smartphones when in use. My observations are comparative, not just in a vacuum - said that in my post. And I also stated it happens on wifi however my cell signal is flawless here. The radio is not the culprit. I keep gps on 100% of the time on all my phones and background tasks on wp7 can't even use gps so I doubt it's that since I never use the useless find my phone stuff.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

Usually the screen is the biggest drain on battery, I guess the HD7 has a very power hungry display compared to more recent phones.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
It drains proportionately faster than other smartphones when in use. My observations are comparative, not just in a vacuum - said that in my post. And I also stated it happens on wifi however my cell signal is flawless here. The radio is not the culprit. I keep gps on 100% of the time on all my phones and background tasks on wp7 can't even use gps so I doubt it's that since I never use the useless find my phone stuff.

I stated that WiFi is a player in battery consumption. Its why WiFi sleeps with the phone. There are other factors effecting WiFi. Some suggest you disable your data connection when using it for example. Location services being on uses battery regardless of background tasks. I wish that WP had a battery stats API like android so you could see what's eating your battery. When I was on android it was always display, radio, and I can't remember the 3rd I can check later though

Roadkillin

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Um, you realize that 270 more mAh is about a 22% improvement on the hd7 battery? When you're saying a phone would last 4 hours turned on non-stop, then the improves battery would last close to five. In normal use I'd say it would provide an extra 2-3 hours, and a I'd say was substantial.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Um, you realize that 270 more mAh is about a 22% improvement on the hd7 battery? When you're saying a phone would last 4 hours turned on non-stop, then the improves battery would last close to five. In normal use I'd say it would provide an extra 2-3 hours, and a I'd say was substantial.

Well it would depend on the situation. I mean if your phone only lasts 8 hours, then another two to three hours isn't much help. There obviously is some other problem that is affecting battery life that needs to be fixed.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I know that I'm very conservative when it comes to UIs. So when I saw the Metro UI demonstrations and fell in love fairly quickly I knew it was a genius design. So far my favorite is the App List.

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree that leaving space as empty space can help, especially when you want to emphasize on the pure information. It takes a seriously good designer to be able to use it to their advantage, and Metro has taken a good shot at it.

On a side note: I really hate the Vibrate symbol. It just looks out of place to me.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

I'm impressed with the screen-on battery life of my Titan. I was streaming Pandora over the weekend (screen off) and I was even more amazed. I must have streamed for well over an hour (through the aux-out) and the battey was at 88%.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Question for people with horrid battery life. Where are you in relation to cell towers?

I've actually been shocked at how good my battery life is even with a single bar, on my Titan. But that's really just standby, which is checking two e-mail accounts and probably some sparse app stuff (no social networking setup).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)