Push notifications WP7

XviuX

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone

i am new to the forum and i check the forum from time to time, but i have some questions i have been meaning to ask about wp7.

Currently I'm sitting with the GS2 but this year I'm thinking of making the jump to wp7 seeing as i am hearing some good news about the OS with speed and most of all no fragmentation. My big problem wth Android is the push notifications on Facebook and twitter, yes i know you can change the rate it searches for updates but it don't seem as good as IOS. For example if i get a tweet my ipad always gets it first and android last, even my gmail pulls in direct messages faster than the twitter app on android.

So my question is how does WP7 hold up on the push notification side? i love the hole idea of having say your Facebook and twitter in one live feed, but is it much quicker than android?

I'm currently holding out for the nokia lumia 900 seeing as it's my perfect screen size, i am also very tired with the current crop of android and ios devices, i want to try something new and fresh plus not worry about specs too much. i'm not to bothered about the lack of apps there is more than enough for my use personally.

Thanks

MannLou

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I will be honest. I think the notifications work but could be more obvious than the current updating of the live tile. I would love toast notifications or the option to have them at least. One other thing is for FB the user has to allow 3rd party apps for the integrated version to work. The Facebook app is nice but I would live to not have to rely on the app and the integrated experience. That said, generally the experience is nice for updating and viewing Twitter, Facebook, and Linked In in one spot.

So it's a mixed bag right now but it should improve. My Twitter acct. is set to text me a mention and the FB app has toast (appears at the top like a text) notifications built in. Overall it still works bout it could be and will likely be improved.

Sent from my kick-*** TITAN using Board Express

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
WP has a "Me" tile which essentially manages all of your social platforms. It'll flip when you get a FB/Twitter/LinkedIn notification and you can reply directly from that tile. You can also update your statuses/change profile pictures across all of those sites in one hit.

Pretty cool, right? ;)

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
You're going to find here a polarized response to how WP handles notifications. Some wish it was more like Android, some like the way it is just fine, some (like me) want something in the middle. As far as how fast the notifications are received compared to iOS, I can't really say.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
My only criticism is 'sometimes' the live tiles can be lazy. The most consistent app I've seen is the BBC news app. Without having to access it, it'll keep feeding you 'live' updates.

I hope this is sorted in Tango.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
WP has a "Me" tile which essentially manages all of your social platforms. It'll flip when you get a FB/Twitter/LinkedIn notification and you can reply directly from that tile. You can also update your statuses/change profile pictures across all of those sites in one hit.

Pretty cool, right? ;)

Apparently some form of notifications support seems to be forthcoming in Windows 8 and Apollo will be windows NT based and use NT kernel as well so notifications should be supported lated this year when Apollo is released.

MannLou

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
The live tile has its benefits when all of the feeds are working well. Something on the lock screen would be a nice addition. Just so we know to look for whatever the notification is just like email or text. Small change to the overall great experience.

Sent from my kick-*** TITAN using Board Express

XviuX

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
thanks to everyone who has commented

yeah i have heard about the built in ME app it looks well made compared to what IOS and android offer, i guess some apps can be lazy but my use of smart phones now days is Facebook and twitter oh and email. I heard Gmail is a little lazy on getting email i am not sure if its true or not.

I'm just after a well integrated OS and good battery life over all compared to android and ios. i just wish nokia would release the lumia 900 in the UK before June.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I sold my vibrant two days ago. I think km gonna die now. This phone died after 7 hours off the charger. Maybe I sent 20 IMs on that time. Notifications are late and I'm missing useful high quality apps. Me Hub is useless ck oared to Android and especially ios notification systems. IOS had toasts too, now, as well.

Use what you want. I think the man. dEciding factor is apps. I can barely use this phone due to the lack of apps. I can't afford to wait 9 months for a decent notification system. I'm getting that in one month.

Android Push Notifications for Facebook were flawless for me. The update js for the widget, not push notifications which are as fast as ios or blackberry. They're always late or nonexistent on my HD7. Often don't get notified For IM messages period, so I have to fall back to texting everything. But it's only for less than a month. I think I can manage until then.

The battery life is a huge issue, though. I've basically uninstalled almost every third party app wth a background service and its still terrible.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

Last edited:

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I sold my vibrant two days ago. I think km gonna die now. This phone died after 7 hours off the charger. Maybe I sent 20 IMs on that time. Notifications are late and I'm missing useful high quality apps. Me Hub is useless ck oared to Android and especially ios notification systems. IOS had toasts too, now, as well.

Use what you want. I think the man. dEciding factor is apps. I can barely use this phone due to the lack of apps. I can't afford to wait 9 months for a decent notification system. I'm getting that in one month.

Android Push Notifications for Facebook were flawless for me. The update js for the widget, not push notifications which are as fast as ios or blackberry. They're always late or nonexistent on my HD7. Often don't get notified For IM messages period, so I have to fall back to texting everything. But it's only for less than a month. I think I can manage until then.

The battery life is a huge issue, though. I've basically uninstalled almost every third party app wth a background service and its still terrible.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

What apps are you lacking?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
N8ter. Just some FYI. Background tasks consume very little battery. With 7 background apps, in more than a month of various testing, background tasks only consume 3-4% in a full day while the phone is sleeping. WiFi on all day only draws about 4%, again while the phone is sleeping. 3G can vary wildly, but is definitely the biggest drain while the screen is off.

Your HD7 battery is the same as my Surround. I don't do anything to conserve power (3 min screen sleep), auto bright, 200 apps, 8 background tasks, 4 email w/push or 1 hour, numerous push Live Tiles, and I can still get through 12-15 hours before I need a boost. So my guess is you have a really weak data connection sucking your battery dry.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750