Failed to convince friend to buy WP.

Mahesha999

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
The reason - no blueeooth file transfer.

Here in India, Lumia 500 is reduced in price for 14800 INR. Great price. But..... no bluetooth file transfer!!!! He bought Xperia - 18000INR

So thats very basic feature. There is an app for sending pictures, but just the picture transfer!

So when we are getting bluetooth file transfer on WP. Do MS doesn't have capability to add that feature directly in OS? I dont think so. Then what is the actual reason?

Anyone knows any development going on in this direction. Any updates, anything.

See this guy from India also asking the same thing: Can i send or receive files through bluetooth on windows phone 7.5 - Microsoft Answers
Also read the comments on that thread. They all have same theme.

I know many Indians are going away from gorgeous Lumia 800 just for that reason.

This feature has also got over 7000 votes (top 6th recommendation) on wp feature suggestion box:
Feature Suggestions: Top (8508 ideas)
Please also vote for this feature on this above page.

I feel we should shout altogether in MS's ears for this feature. This is the only limitation of windows phones that is not getting MS's attention. NFC - they are trying, Consistent platform - they are trying, but no effort on bt heard.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I hope we get it. What do they care about what do I do with my files? pictures that I took and songs that I bought? At least I can still send them through text messages.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's so much about MS caring what you do with your files. But more about them not seeing a legitimate need when you subtract out most of the piracy market. Especially with NFC coming right around the corner.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I hope we get it. What do they care about what do I do with my files? pictures that I took and songs that I bought? At least I can still send them through text messages.

Because if you bought a song it is meant for you and only you. That is piracy sending something that they would have to pay for and you give it to them for free. No different than buying a cd/dvd and burning it then giving it to someone.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Who still uses Bluetooth to send files though? In my five years of owning smartphones, I've never needed that feature.

Last edited:

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Who still uses Bluetooth to send files though? In my five years of owning a smartphones, I've never needed that feature.

I do often face that argument, and I simply don't understand why someone would still use bluetooth file transfers.

The last time I used bluetooth file transfers was with my Nokia 6630, many, many years ago. Can't understand why people don't just use e-mail or Skydrive or something, which is far more convenient and safe.

I mean, if you don't have a data plan, why would you want a smartphone?

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I just want to be able to send sound clips or videos. I hope they're working on that.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Because if you bought a song it is meant for you and only you. That is piracy sending something that they would have to pay for and you give it to them for free. No different than buying a cd/dvd and burning it then giving it to someone.

This is 100% wrong.

Sent from my Galaxy S II

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
whats the point of Bluetooth transfer??? avoiding to use your data???

the only time i used it , is when im waiting for a movie to start, i would search for a BT connecting and send random files to random people.. LOL..

BTW: you can get an APP to Transfer PICS to android,WP and Iphone called: flick+share

only thing you cant Xfer is MUSIC and VIDS..

This is 100% wrong.

Sent from my Galaxy S II

WHY the **** are you on a GS2?? what happened to your WP!!!!! lol ;)

Last edited:

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I just want to be able to send sound clips or videos. I hope they're working on that.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

I still don't quite understand though. I mean if you're sharing something over Bluetooth, you're right next to them. Can't you show it to them on your phone?

But if you actually want to give them the file, why can't you use E-Mail, Skydrive, or some other service? I would think it would be faster and easier than having to turn on Bluetooth, find the other device, pair it, send, and wait for it to complete.

Also, how would Bluetooth file sharing work? Like iOS, WP7 doesn't show it's file system, there's no file explorer/manager so where would the files go?

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Cuz some people don't have data plans to send via email or other service. Really I would think there would be some app to do sharing via the 802.11x radios

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Cuz some people don't have data plans to send via email or other service. Really I would think there would be some app to do sharing via the 802.11x radios

I guess. Before it would have mattered to me because back then I used a smartphone without data, but now pretty much every carrier requires you to have data on a smartphone.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
LOL!! I switched to the.dark side for a minute.
whats the point of Bluetooth transfer??? avoiding to use your data???

the only time i used it , is when im waiting for a movie to start, i would search for a BT connecting and send random files to random people.. LOL..

BTW: you can get an APP to Transfer PICS to android,WP and Iphone called: flick+share

only thing you cant Xfer is MUSIC and VIDS..

WHY the **** are you on a GS2?? what happened to your WP!!!!! lol ;)

Sent from my Galaxy S II

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I think Nokia understands that features like this are important in certain markets and will push Microsoft to do what is necessary.

Honestly, they don't even need to implement file transfer, they just need to give developers an API to control Bluetooth. Someone could make an app that integrates into different hubs, you select your item, press share, and select app. Bluetooth API would also be nice for integration with a number accessories too (like say... Nike+).

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Sacrificing the whole OS for not having Bluetooth file transfer is.......... :straight:

I don't personally need it, but it doesn't mean that for somebody else that could not be a deal breaker.
Rather than the attitude on why you should not need it, i hope Microsoft implements it. That's how you get the customers.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Also, how would Bluetooth file sharing work? Like iOS, WP7 doesn't show it's file system, there's no file explorer/manager so where would the files go?
Not that I care for this feature, but the way to implement it would be by adding it as another share option. You go to your song or video using Zune or the Pictures Hub, press the three dots, select "share", then Bluetooth would be an option. Again, I don't think the feature will ever be added.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster