Convince me to Trade my 4S for the Lumia 800.

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I'd stay with iPhone if you want the best monetary investment. They maintain their value much better than anything else on the market. You can almost fund yearly upgrades selling your old iPhone. That's something that had to be mentioned.

I'm over buying for dollars and selling for pennies. Are you? LOL

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

extremely true, I remember before the 4S came out I sold a regular black IP4 32gb for 700$....wtf.

You better sell your android or wp7 very quickly if you wanna get a good amount from them, cause after a couple of months the price drops quick! Thats why Im gonna buy the 900 outright rather then use my upgrade in March. I'll just save my upgrade for something truly special.

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Better screen tech
A better camera

You did mention that the camera is important to you. And the Lumia 900 will have a different, and better, camera than the Lumia 800.

I don't know if it will be as good as the N8's camera though.

I do like to have a nice camera but most cameras now a days are sufficient for me, still though having an awesome camera is well......awesome!

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
iphone 4 is selling for around 300 now on ebay. i am selling mine right now, and buying a brand new htc trophy for 200. i know it is an older model wp7, but it is all verizon has for now... i will get the nokia 900 when they get it this summer...

so i would say jumping from ios to wp7 is a good thing, i have had every phone under the sun and i most enjoy the wp7 devices... especially zune!!!!

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Better screen tech
A better camera

You did mention that the camera is important to you. And the Lumia 900 will have a different, and better, camera than the Lumia 800.

I don't know if it will be as good as the N8's camera though.

I think its the same camera they used on the 900. I heard Nokia briefly mentioning a software upgrade fix but I am going to assume thats all going to come with Tango.

I wouldn't be suprissed I think the main reason why they didn't launch the 900 right away is because they are waiting for the official Tango release. I am going to assume Lumia is going to be using Tango

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
FYI! Pentile screens are what makes it GOOD! .. i dont know why people assume its bad...

800 and 710 dont have penlite .. and the 900 does... and the 900 looks MUCH better yet all 3 of the have AMOLED...( not aAMOLED HD or + .. regular old AMOLED )

and other reason you should switch si that your using 6 year old phone... ( 6 years old cause its the same freaking thing as the first Iphone ) sorry i forgot they got SIRI and duel-core... LOL! ;)

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
FYI! Pentile screens are what makes it GOOD! .. i dont know why people assume its bad...

800 and 710 dont have penlite .. and the 900 does... and the 900 looks MUCH better yet all 3 of the have AMOLED...( not aAMOLED HD or + .. regular old AMOLED )

and other reason you should switch si that your using 6 year old phone... ( 6 years old cause its the same freaking thing as the first Iphone ) sorry i forgot they got SIRI and duel-core... LOL! ;)

Source? Im pretty sure the 800 is pentile and the 900 is NOT pentile.

Nokia themselves said it.

Nokia confirms Lumia 900 doesn't have Pentile display - Engadget

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Another thing is I like the small phones, as I said Ive gotten used to the 4S and its small screen so 3.7 inches on about the same size would be nice, the 900 looks pretty big, I like the small quality feel of the 4S and assuming 800.

So not sure complety, gonna be tempting to get the 800 as I can get it right now.

We'll see.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

PenTile I'd only good on HD screens. Its trash on even qHD screens. The pixilation is noticeable. It only "disappears" at high PPI levels, like on the galaxy nexus.

there's only deficits to pentile on a WVGA screen. Too many of us have had 4" SAMOLED screens to drink that Kool-Aid. LOL

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

Chinocop

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok I decided what im gonna do!

Im gonna get the 800 and sell everything, when the iphone 5 comes I'll get it but I'll still keep the 800 and just have both OS! Who knows maybe by that time WP will have drawn me so in that its all WP for me, still im set on this idea, I like the smaller feel of the 800 over the 900 and I really dont need lte or a ffc anytime soon, cant wait!

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
^ Perfect coming from a Lumia 800 I love the look and feel for this phone. Alot of people say its soo sleek you might drop it but the nice weight/size ratio I have never dropped this phone. It feels great in my hand and a joy to carry around.

Enjoy the Lumia make sure you get the AT&T 800's my Euro Lumia doesn't pick up 3g indoors because of frequency bands.

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
^ Perfect coming from a Lumia 800 I love the look and feel for this phone. Alot of people say its soo sleek you might drop it but the nice weight/size ratio I have never dropped this phone. It feels great in my hand and a joy to carry around.

Enjoy the Lumia make sure you get the AT&T 800's my Euro Lumia doesn't pick up 3g indoors because of frequency bands.

Hmm, so is there a particular 800 that uses att 3G? I thought they all just used the 1900 band but no 850 band, so you'll only get 3G in 1900 band areas (which is a lot anyway)

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
too lazy to read all the post so ill just throw my 2 cent in
I just got the 800 earlier this month so this is my experience with it (gf got 4s at the same time)

1) my 800 turns more heads and ppl are actually wowed by it

2) the camera is ok, not as good as galaxy or 4s though... apparently there will be an update to fix that issue so we'll have to wait and see what happens

3) for apps i can't comment too much for the stuff u use as i've never looked for them so i don't know, but seeing how many major apps pop lately its actually looking pretty good, i haven't found myself missing an app yet though (but thats probably just me)

4) games? dear god the games on wp are good, i feel they are better than the other guys alot of the time, there is quiet a few free ones as well, just look in the marketplace to see what you think

5) i kind of agree on selling ur 4s instead of trading it, i think you can even net profit if your willing to get someone to bring it to china to sell lol

6) i don't really agree on waiting anymore, tech waiting game is a guaranteed lose, by the time apollo pops someone will be talking about waiting for the next cycle =..= (900 may be, but u already said u like the smaller size so why wait?)

7) if u join us ill give u candy, kidding of course :p, but the more ppl joining us the quicker alot of apps u need will pop up, so be a man and become an wp salesman like me :p (unpaid...)

EDIT:
forgot about pentile thing u were asking about, first thing it is pentile, second the screen actually looks great... not sure why some ppl complain... my gf's dad said wow it looks great when he saw my 800 play a video, i think it's on-par with retina... but what do i know right? ;)

Last edited:

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok I decided what im gonna do!

Im gonna get the 800 and sell everything, when the iphone 5 comes I'll get it but I'll still keep the 800 and just have both OS! Who knows maybe by that time WP will have drawn me so in that its all WP for me, still im set on this idea, I like the smaller feel of the 800 over the 900 and I really dont need lte or a ffc anytime soon, cant wait!
yarg! i knew i should've read all post before commenting :p welcome to the family :)

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, so is there a particular 800 that uses att 3G? I thought they all just used the 1900 band but no 850 band, so you'll only get 3G in 1900 band areas (which is a lot anyway)

The American Lumia is what you should get I get no signal and edge in alot of indoor places kinda sucks but hey i took the risk and i still love my phone.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I have to admit, I was in your shoes until I couldn't stand it any more. I kept waiting and waiting for an announcement that Verizon would be coming out with a new second gen WP7.5 phone (I'm tied to Verizon for work) but I gave up. I decided to get something that will work for now, start that two year contract calendar counting down, and look forward to a wide choice of WP8 devices when my contract is up next time.

I hope the Nokia Lumia 1200 will be available on Verizon come July 18, 2013! :p

(But who's counting?)

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I have to admit, I was in your shoes until I couldn't stand it any more. I kept waiting and waiting for an announcement that Verizon would be coming out with a new second gen WP7.5 phone (I'm tied to Verizon for work) but I gave up. I decided to get something that will work for now, start that two year contract calendar counting down, and look forward to a wide choice of WP8 devices when my contract is up next time.

I hope the Nokia Lumia 1200 will be available on Verizon come July 18, 2013! :p

(But who's counting?)

What did you end up getting? Thankfully im on ATT so I have a lot of choice but I feel your pain...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb