Convince me to Trade my 4S for the Lumia 800.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Nokia: Unlocked US Lumia 800 in February, 20 game EA deal incoming - SlashGear

Looks like Feb 20, for that I would just wait for the 900 lol, anyway Im sure 1900 only wont be too much of an issue, I can live with edge here and there as long as I have 3G for the most part.

I don't know dude it kinda sucks when you wanna smoke another phone and you have Edge you just cant do it I tried smoking my friends iPhone 4S at the mall but failed because I was on Edge but in all fairness I have a UK phone

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't know dude it kinda sucks when you wanna smoke another phone and you have Edge you just cant do it I tried smoking my friends iPhone 4S at the mall but failed because I was on Edge but in all fairness I have a UK phone

Ive been looking around a lot and it seems that everyone who has it in the states say that they always get 3G so I dunno.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Tiny bit off on the pentile problem. The major issue most people see with Pentile is the pixel arrangement, not the green pixel base. In essence, Pentile displays are equivalent to displays with significantly fewer pixels- making images, text, etc much less sharp looking. Take a look at this article for more info:

Super AMOLED Plus vs Super AMOLED: to the PenTile matrix and back

I have a DVP and Pentile is annoying me, especially on something that's red, but less so on blue and isn't really noticeable on green. Probably because the RGBG arrangement and how red as a color would probably be opposite green on a color wheel so a red live tile looks pixelated. Meanwhile, depending on the shade of blue, it might have a bit of green in there so it doesn't look as bad.

Also, this display seems to give me headaches when reading a long passage of white text on a black background. And I've NEVER had a headache before. Of course, YMMV, but I'm going to make sure my next phone purchase doesn't have a display with a Pentile arrangement.

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok bit the bullet and got the 800.

$425 total on eBay.

Both excited and nervous, Excited cause I love the WP7 UI for the most part and love Nokia looks and build but nervous beacuse im leaving IOS, gonna miss some apps and the tiles are gonna be so different. I''ll update with my thoughts!

speedfreak228

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

$425 total on eBay.

Both excited and nervous, Excited cause I love the WP7 UI for the most part and love Nokia looks and build but nervous beacuse im leaving IOS, gonna miss some apps and the tiles are gonna be so different. I''ll update with my thoughts!

congrats!!!! Hope you like it

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Give us your thoughts when you've used it for a while! :)

This might become a great thread to show my very stubborn Iphone-friend. :p

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Im back...with bad news.

I dont like it. Simple as that, first the hardware;

The screen is not good, compared to my 4S, the whites are really dull while the whites on the 4S are super bright, the blacks are nice though, the brightness settings on wp are terrible, low is too low, med is ok but would like a bit brighter and all the way is nice but too bright plus takes battery, the pentile is REALLY noticeable, you can see pixels all over anf you can see almost a grid of sorts at times.

The hardware has a nice design but It gets fingerprints like crazy, the back also gets smudges a lot.

The keys are kinda lose, would expect better quality and the lock unlock on the side is kinda annoying.

Overall even though its the same size as the 4S, I just cant seem to get a good grip and hold it right, its weird, I just dont like the feel of the phone.

Now the software;

The tiles are a bit bland but its not that bad.

After using it for a while on full charge, the battery goes quick, very dissapointing.

After using the os for a while, it just seems like there are some things that need to be tweaked, just little things that make you go, really? Such as if you close the browser, then try to go back a page when you go back it goes to the home screen, annoying.

For some odd reason, 3.7 seems too small for wp7, im starting to think I would have liked the titan much better.

The marketplace definitly needs work.

Overall, im not pleased and am staying with ios, I really like the OS in certain aspects but I think it needs a lot of work, features and tweaks still. As far as the lumia 800, really dissapointed, the screen is pretty bad overall, the 4S kills it and im willing to bet the titan does too as well as the 900, the pentile comaints are true, its very noticiable.

Anyway this is just my honest thoughts, im more dissapointed in the lumia then wp as I knew that wp was still missing things, just needs time to improve.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Well give yourself a little while to get used to the differences lol. Anyways, no need to apologize, no platform is right for everybody.

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Uhm... If you close the browser, and you open the browser... It should go to your homepage, shouldn't it? :)

Lets say im browsing some pages, I then press the home button, when I go back to the browser and press the back button it goesback the the homescreen rather then the page before it, annoying choice by the developers of the os.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
After using it for a while on full charge, the battery goes quick, very dissapointing.
This is a particular problem I can't get my head around. I've noticed it from the start (i.e. Pre-Pre-NoDo)...

WP7 Standby Times = Incredible
In Use/Call Times = Not Good

It's really odd that I can WiFi tether my iPod Touch all day and my battery lasts (e.g. using both WiFi and Cell Radios constantly), yet the minute I start using my phone (even if on WiFi) the battery life drops extremely fast. The the day my HD7 died after 7 hours off the charger and I didn't do anything except maybe send and recieve 20 SMS/IMs in that time.

I've seen my phone lose half a charge in like an hour of web browsing which was mostly spent reading reviews and things like that (not playing YouTube Videos, etc.).

It extends to other things as well. Like, I can play music for several hours on my phone, and it doens't drain fast, but the minute you do something that requires the screen to be on it starts draining the battery fast.

Perhaps something going on with the touchscreen/screen drivers causing a lot of battery drain? None of the other non-WP7 devices I have/had do/did this.

It was a really bad issue for me when I was traveling (because I was in transit basically for 10-12 hours both ways).

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I hear alot of people having problems with the battery life, and that's sad offcourse... I am very impressed with the battery-life of my Lumia though... With the same amount of usage as I did on my Android-phone I easily get 3 times more usage-time in before I have to charge it.

weezywally

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
mmaman, don't judge it after one day, you are only trying to find faults. After using the phone a month I've become a more sociable person, I don't look down at my phone as much and when I do I only see things I want to see. It's really awesome and its how a communication device should be. I cant even use ios anymore on my Ipod touch 4g because it feels really retro to me, sure the screen its higher res but all the apps on the home screen are very bland. Anyway each to their own, just wait it out a bit.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

$425 total on eBay.

There's always the best of both worlds option - as well as my WP phone I have an iPad.

Now if only Nokia would enable tethering, I'd be all set!

speedfreak228

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
i have the titan and i still have my iphone 4. i use my titan most of the time and the iphone 4 every once in a while. i like to change lol. when i switch back to the titan its like a breath of fresh air something different. wait it out 20 or so days, i started with the hd7s and hated the screen resolution because the iphone 4 is so much better. the 4.3" screen was really nice on the hd7s. the screen on my titan is just as good as my ip4 imho, i havent noticed a difference at all. you might have should bought the titan. the biggest thing that keeps me coming back to the iphone is the buildcal and otterbox. i work construction so the otterbox keeps my phone protected and the calculator is something i use daily. give it a couple of weeks i have never felt so connected to frineds and family as i do with my titan, lol i know sounds like a commercial

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
No offence, but you only have yourself to blame for feeling disappointed with it. You got a lot of good, comprehensive answers to your concerns and it was made pretty clear that it wouldn't match up to the 4S for you. Especially for what you wanted it for.

Why ask at all if you were just going to ignore all the advice and buy anyway? At the very least it would have made sense to hold off and try one in a shop if you weren't sure. Hopefully you can get your money back or something :S

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
So, I followed this thread with interest, having just done the VERY thing I thought I would never do. I got a 4S.

I am the WP7.5 evangelist. Love the OS, show it around, brag on it to others, who (until the have played with it) just don't get it. I mouthed off about how I would never use anything except Windows Phone...yet here I am, with an iPhone. And I like it.

I may like it because I had rather low expectations. Due to an emergency situation where I was phone-less for 18 hrs, I knew I needed a backup. Figured that backup should also be a GSM phone that travels EASILY across international borders and back (carrier unlocked, from the Apple Store); has a reliable signal and just works.

I swapped standard for micro-SIM to set it up with intent to use it for a few days, then return to Windows Phone for regular use. Man, was I surprised: after 4 days, I knew I would stick with the iPhone as my primary device.

Here's why:
**The display. Small, yes. Downright teeny, but so gorgeous. I've gone from Trophy (3.7) to Titan (4.7) to Focus S (4.3) to iPhone (3.5), and I am amazed to say that I am digging the iPhone.

**The ease. When people say it just works, it really does. I swapped it after a few days for a one with more memory, and it was ridiculously simple to restore backup from iCloud. Apps. Photo albums, Calendar items. scribbles in SimpleNote. Screen setup: wallpaper, icon arrangement, everything. As easy as it was on BB back in the day.

**Wi-fi connection. I have both devices in front of me, set to wi-fi. The Focus S drops wi-fi constantly: after phone goes to sleep... when it's awake and in the middle of doing something...I am forever re-connecting the wi-fi to do anything at all. In contrast, that darn iPhone grabs wi-fi the minute I get to work and holds on. All day. Awaken the phone from sleep, and wi-fi grabs again, so quickly that you'd think it never slept.

**Words With Friends. I am not an app-junkie, and the only games I use are WWF and solitaire. Got hooked on WWF on my pre-windows Android, and resorted to Words By Post on WP7. Getting WWF back was like finding water in the desert. It took getting it back to realize how much I had missed it (either that or I was in denial).

I like the build - it IS solid and beautiful. Solid stands out with Focus S in one hand and iPhone in the other. I also like the size. My eyes want a larger screen (and how), yet my girlish hands want to hold and use with one hand. For now at least, the eyes *don't* have it. The hands win.

I like the beauty of Metro, and would prefer that to mismatched icons, yet I do like having separate screens back: home, news, work, travel, AV and junk drawer.

I will keep Windows phone as a wi-fi (iI know, right? What did I JUST say?) and reading device (to let my eyes win out every so often). I am enjoying iOs and crow. With a side of fries.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss