Convince me to Trade my 4S for the Lumia 800.

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Dont worry guys, I traded it for a more expensive android phone an am selling it for even more money! So I will be better off in the end lol

But yes I am impulsive and I got lucky with this one, next time I wont be so impulsive, anyway Im staying with iphone for the time being, I woul get an android but the phone has to have it all which nothing is up to my standards as of now, the Xperia S is though, so either Xperia S or iPhone, thats my choices. As I said WP has big potential but as of now its not for me, still lacks things.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Dont worry guys, I traded it for a more expensive android phone an am selling it for even more money! So I will be better off in the end lol

But yes I am impulsive and I got lucky with this one, next time I wont be so impulsive, anyway Im staying with iphone for the time being, I woul get an android but the phone has to have it all which nothing is up to my standards as of now, the Xperia S is though, so either Xperia S or iPhone, thats my choices. As I said WP has big potential but as of now its not for me, still lacks things.

Nothing wrong with any of this. Ignore the hate. I personally admire your willingness to take a risk and try something different. Some people who do this will be converted, some will go back, and some will decide on neither and get something else like you did. No one platform will satisfy everyone, and choice/competition is good. Good on you for being open-minded and not a ******.

AzD

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
So, I followed this thread with interest, having just done the VERY thing I thought I would never do. I got a 4S.

I am the WP7.5 evangelist. Love the OS, show it around, brag on it to others, who (until the have played with it) just don't get it. I mouthed off about how I would never use anything except Windows Phone...yet here I am, with an iPhone. And I like it.

I may like it because I had rather low expectations. Due to an emergency situation where I was phone-less for 18 hrs, I knew I needed a backup. Figured that backup should also be a GSM phone that travels EASILY across international borders and back (carrier unlocked, from the Apple Store); has a reliable signal and just works.

I swapped standard for micro-SIM to set it up with intent to use it for a few days, then return to Windows Phone for regular use. Man, was I surprised: after 4 days, I knew I would stick with the iPhone as my primary device.

Here's why:
**The display. Small, yes. Downright teeny, but so gorgeous. I've gone from Trophy (3.7) to Titan (4.7) to Focus S (4.3) to iPhone (3.5), and I am amazed to say that I am digging the iPhone.

**The ease. When people say it just works, it really does. I swapped it after a few days for a one with more memory, and it was ridiculously simple to restore backup from iCloud. Apps. Photo albums, Calendar items. scribbles in SimpleNote. Screen setup: wallpaper, icon arrangement, everything. As easy as it was on BB back in the day.

**Wi-fi connection. I have both devices in front of me, set to wi-fi. The Focus S drops wi-fi constantly: after phone goes to sleep... when it's awake and in the middle of doing something...I am forever re-connecting the wi-fi to do anything at all. In contrast, that darn iPhone grabs wi-fi the minute I get to work and holds on. All day. Awaken the phone from sleep, and wi-fi grabs again, so quickly that you'd think it never slept.

**Words With Friends. I am not an app-junkie, and the only games I use are WWF and solitaire. Got hooked on WWF on my pre-windows Android, and resorted to Words By Post on WP7. Getting WWF back was like finding water in the desert. It took getting it back to realize how much I had missed it (either that or I was in denial).

I like the build - it IS solid and beautiful. Solid stands out with Focus S in one hand and iPhone in the other. I also like the size. My eyes want a larger screen (and how), yet my girlish hands want to hold and use with one hand. For now at least, the eyes *don't* have it. The hands win.

I like the beauty of Metro, and would prefer that to mismatched icons, yet I do like having separate screens back: home, news, work, travel, AV and junk drawer.

I will keep Windows phone as a wi-fi (iI know, right? What did I JUST say?) and reading device (to let my eyes win out every so often). I am enjoying iOs and crow. With a side of fries.

Just goes to show you how pointless these kinds of topics are, because each person finds what they like/dislike based on their own wants and needs.

I have had the exact opposite experience from you, going from iPhone 4 to WP7 on a Focus S (with an android phone in between). I much prefer the Focus S screen over the iPhone, in both size and resolution. I prefer the look and feel of the Focus S over the iPhone as well, the build seems perfectly fine to me, the size/weight are well matched. I have a 4.5 inch android phone that, while nice, is just a smidge too big - the 4.3 turns out to be the ideal size for me.

I occasionally have reason to do something on the wife's iPhone and every time I touch it I'm reminded as to why I got rid of mine. But I also understand that iPhone, while not my choice, may be ideal for other people.

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
You are right but the screen is killing me.
I agree with you on the screen. I had a Samsung Focus for a year and, comparing it to the very good LCD on the Titan, the pentile issues stand out.

I also agree with some of the other posters here- give it a couple of weeks, and get 10 apps with live tiles. Even after a couple of months of having WP7 (particularly after 7.5) I was finding stuff that made me go "huh, that's really awesome." Example: Search for a local place (museums are usually good for this example). Tap the place in the "Local" tab. Swipe over- there are reviews, integrated right into the results! Swipe again, there are upcoming events! Super cool. Decide you want to go there? Pin it to the start screen and you have an instant reminder. Nifty.

But it does take a little getting used to...

chubbychicken

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I did switch 3 days ago and so far the Lumia has been great. The phone is really snappy and I love the fact that everything is presented in a clean uncluttered way. The hardware is nicely built too...pretty slick phone ,you won't regret!!

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Just goes to show you how pointless these kinds of topics are, because each person finds what they like/dislike based on their own wants and needs.

I have had the exact opposite experience from you, going from iPhone 4 to WP7 on a Focus S (with an android phone in between). I much prefer the Focus S screen over the iPhone, in both size and resolution. I prefer the look and feel of the Focus S over the iPhone as well, the build seems perfectly fine to me, the size/weight are well matched. I have a 4.5 inch android phone that, while nice, is just a smidge too big - the 4.3 turns out to be the ideal size for me.

I occasionally have reason to do something on the wife's iPhone and every time I touch it I'm reminded as to why I got rid of mine. But I also understand that iPhone, while not my choice, may be ideal for other people.

I disagree - that everyone will make the decisions that suit them is *exactly* the point. Reading through others' perspectives is a great way to learn from the experiences of others - how they fit or don't fit or alter our wants and needs. You never know when someone's random comment or experience will be one that resonates with you (as in: wow, I would really love / hate that, too). We then make the our own decisions based on the combination of what we already know and what we learn. There is no absolute right or wrong, only right for you...

Then again, I am a chick. I come from websites such as Zappos, where the product reviews are the absolute BEST way to understand others' experiences with a product. I might read with a specific question in mind, or I might stumble across something I didn't think of. It doesn't mean I follow any individuals' advice, but I DO learn a ton that helps me decide. The bits that help me differ from the bits that help others... its all good.

Windowsphone7

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
too lazy to read all the post so ill just throw my 2 cent in
I just got the 800 earlier this month so this is my experience with it (gf got 4s at the same time)

1) my 800 turns more heads and ppl are actually wowed by it

2) the camera is ok, not as good as galaxy or 4s though... apparently there will be an update to fix that issue so we'll have to wait and see what happens

3) for apps i can't comment too much for the stuff u use as i've never looked for them so i don't know, but seeing how many major apps pop lately its actually looking pretty good, i haven't found myself missing an app yet though (but thats probably just me)

4) games? dear god the games on wp are good, i feel they are better than the other guys alot of the time, there is quiet a few free ones as well, just look in the marketplace to see what you think

5) i kind of agree on selling ur 4s instead of trading it, i think you can even net profit if your willing to get someone to bring it to china to sell lol

6) i don't really agree on waiting anymore, tech waiting game is a guaranteed lose, by the time apollo pops someone will be talking about waiting for the next cycle =..= (900 may be, but u already said u like the smaller size so why wait?)

7) if u join us ill give u candy, kidding of course :p, but the more ppl joining us the quicker alot of apps u need will pop up, so be a man and become an wp salesman like me :p (unpaid...)

EDIT:
forgot about pentile thing u were asking about, first thing it is pentile, second the screen actually looks great... not sure why some ppl complain... my gf's dad said wow it looks great when he saw my 800 play a video, i think it's on-par with retina... but what do i know right? ;)

Here some photos taken my friend using the Nokia Lumia 800 for me it looks better than iphone 4S and SGS II

Nokia Lumia 800 @ Leafs by JTproductions, on Flickr

Nokia Lumia 800 @ Waterdrops by JTproductions, on Flickr

Nokia Lumia 800 @ Haruhi Syaoran the eye by JTproductions, on Flickr

Nokia Lumia 800 @ Haruhi Syaoran by JTproductions, on Flickr

Nokia Lumia 800 @ Perspective by JTproductions, on Flickr

Nokia lumia 800 @ light rays by JTproductions, on Flickr

For more other samples click on the link below
Nokia Lumia 800 Camera Gallery - a set on Flickr

Last edited:

Windowsphone7

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I disagree - that everyone will make the decisions that suit them is *exactly* the point. Reading through others' perspectives is a great way to learn from the experiences of others - how they fit or don't fit or alter our wants and needs. You never know when someone's random comment or experience will be one that resonates with you (as in: wow, I would really love / hate that, too). We then make the our own decisions based on the combination of what we already know and what we learn. There is no absolute right or wrong, only right for you...

Then again, I am a chick. I come from websites such as Zappos, where the product reviews are the absolute BEST way to understand others' experiences with a product. I might read with a specific question in mind, or I might stumble across something I didn't think of. It doesn't mean I follow any individuals' advice, but I DO learn a ton that helps me decide. The bits that help me differ from the bits that help others... its all good.

1. Firstly not everyone buy phone due to review its like photography i can look at an angle and view it from my perspective and another person from another angle view from another perspective. Its like you ask someone using iphone 4S to WP7 their perspective is different. Its best you try the device yourself then choose. Just imagine the 10 ppl that reply you are fanboys and they tell you that WP7 is bad and its not helping you but differ you away then imagine someone that good in Wp7 comes in and show you the real world of WP7 that makes u decided to get it.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
While those pictures are nice, the issue I have with the Lumia 800 camera is that for quick snaps of "the moment", it can quite often be absolutely awful.

A good photographer can get great shots from almost any camera when they have time to tinker and adjust settings and set up the shot they want. The problem with the Lumia is that "auto" does not reliably produce decent results - and while I can't speak for the S2 I can tell you from experience that the iPhone 4 camera does, and it regularly produced quick snapshots at least as good as my Panasonic Lumix LX3.

Hopefully some sort of software update will improve things as the hardware is fine - it's clearly a software issue.

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
OP, just do it. I went from a 3GS to a Titan and haven't looked back. The deep integration throughout the OS is amazing, and it makes everything so much easier (see SmokedByWindowsPhone). Some apps may be missing, but for the most part there is always a workaround, an alternative, or a webapp. I've played with an N9, not a Lumia, and the hardware is built to rival the iPhone, if not completely blow it out of the water. its Nokia, their stuff is built to last.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
1 - Why not 400k, or 500K? What if there's only 150K, would you still turn people away? 200k might be your theoretical number but that's not something that can be applied to everyone.

2 - Do you have a list of all the changes coming in Apollo? Oh please, share it with the rest of us.

3 - Heaven forbid someone wants a screen smaller than 4 inches.

If your opinion is that people shouldn't buy a WP then why are you here? Judging from your post record you're shaping up to be a wonderful sourpuss that can't wait to spend his entire time here complaining.

Welcome to the forum.

It's not the number of apps that WP7 has, it's the Apps (some major, Like Audible which has been promised for at least 6 mos, some minor like Sports Team Apps that are available for iOS/Android). Also, if you've seen the iPhone Retina Display or the new 720P displays on Galaxy Nexus and HTC Rezound they are all super sharp and easy to read. Something like the Titan REALLY needs a high rez display. We're here because a lot of us would really LIKE to buy a WP and are wondering how many holes are still in the platform. We're not here to bash WP7 but to see if it's feasible to switch and what we might be giving up. For me, I couldn't do without the individual sports apps, Google Voice and a few others I haven't checked on yet. Also, only 16GB is REALLY limiting with no expansion. iPhone has up to 32 GB and Android has a number of phones with 16GB internal and another 32GB micro SD (at only $30 extra). For those of you who think SkyDrive/Cloud streaming is going to replace on board storage look at all the carriers putting caps/throttling on their plans (I don't want to rely on streaming to get my music). I really appreciate everyone's help so when I purchase my next phone (some time late this year) will WP8 be in the running or still falling short in some critical areas.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It's not the number of apps that WP7 has, it's the Apps (some major, Like Audible which has been promised for at least 6 mos, some minor like Sports Team Apps that are available for iOS/Android). Also, if you've seen the iPhone Retina Display or the new 720P displays on Galaxy Nexus and HTC Rezound they are all super sharp and easy to read. Something like the Titan REALLY needs a high rez display. We're here because a lot of us would really LIKE to buy a WP and are wondering how many holes are still in the platform. We're not here to bash WP7 but to see if it's feasible to switch and what we might be giving up. For me, I couldn't do without the individual sports apps, Google Voice and a few others I haven't checked on yet. Also, only 16GB is REALLY limiting with no expansion. iPhone has up to 32 GB and Android has a number of phones with 16GB internal and another 32GB micro SD (at only $30 extra). For those of you who think SkyDrive/Cloud streaming is going to replace on board storage look at all the carriers putting caps/throttling on their plans (I don't want to rely on streaming to get my music). I really appreciate everyone's help so when I purchase my next phone (some time late this year) will WP8 be in the running or still falling short in some critical areas.

Basically everything you listed I don't care about, and I'm fairly certain all my friends fall into the same category. There are lots of different people with different needs, why have the added cost of 32GB devices if 80% of them will sit empty? They don't need to meet everyone's needs, just the bulk. The rest will follow if it's worth the effort. If you absolutely must have one or two apps and they aren't on WP7, then it's not time to switch. At first I missed having the Mint app, but I could live without it daily. Then I discovered Pageonce which I like even better anyway. It's pretty much up to you to decide what you can do without. I have a 7" Android tablet that I carry around with me most places anyway, so I get the best of both worlds. But I'm considering ditching it once I pickup the larger 900. If it helps, I had probably five different Android phones before switching, and I'm never going to switch back.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site

16GB is the most sold Iphone in Europe... And it has no expansion. Galaxy Nexus has 16GB and no expansion. Neither of them have 25GB extra cloud storage integrated in as good a way as WP7. So that kind of kills your argument.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99