Wife is coming to WP7, we have some easy questions

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Sometime in March my wife will be getting one of the 2nd gen or 1.5 gen WP7 devices for use most likely on AT&T. We don't mind buying a T-Mo locked phone and unlocking it. Not a big deal. As a short background, she's coming from the webOS world on a Sprint Palm Pixi. Yes, we know it's old, but it works. In fact, it's been much more reliable than my Sprint Palm Pre ever was. I know she's going to miss that awesome physical keyboard on the Pixi. If you've never tried it, you have no idea how good that KB is. Anyway, she's very comfortable with webOS, but does not care one bit for my Android phone. Neither do I, truth be told.

I have done some searching and found answers to many of our questions, but the following I could not find definitive answers for:

In the event her WP7 phone gets totally jacked up is there a way to reload WP7 like there was on webOS through the webOS Doctor?

Other than the now-unavailable Chevron unlock tokens, is there a way to unlock the OS? She's a heavy user of Preware and would like to continue to use non-official apps and customizations. (If possible.)

Are the average costs of apps similar to what we may find on the Android Market and HP App Catalog?

How useful, well-done, easy is the Facebook app? She's a moderate user of FB, not heavy by any means. She likes to look at pictures and send messages.

Is there a way to just turn off 3G/4G, yet keep the voice connection on? With her Pixi she's able to selectively turn off various network components so she won't have to hear emails and FB updates while sleeping. She'll always leave the voice connection turned on.

The consistent interfaces on apps for webOS is comforting to her and me. When I moved to Android I was astonished by the interfaces of apps being so inconsistent. The menus made no sense on the apps, buttons were all over the place. On webOS there is just one menu that you access by swiping down from the upper-left. Does WP7 suffer from app design inconsistencies like Android, or is it more uniform?

Thanks a lot for your input. It's greatly appreciated.

Edit: I should also mention we're not getting her a WP7 phone on contract or upgrade. We're going to buy the phone at full retail cost and get on a month-to-month plan, not a 1 or 2-yr contract.

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
In the event her WP7 phone gets totally jacked up is there a way to reload WP7 like there was on webOS through the webOS Doctor?

I don't know of any. Though, I also don't know of two occasions where WP has been jacked up.

1. Problems with certain Samsung devices caused a few phones to brick in the early NoDo update. I believe those were replaced. And problem was fixed.

2. Using unauthorized methods to try to unlock the phone, and messing up somewhere in the process. This isn't covered, so it's a risky proposition.

Other than the now-unavailable Chevron unlock tokens, is there a way to unlock the OS? She's a heavy user of Preware and would like to continue to use non-official apps and customizations. (If possible.)

She could register as a developer for $99. Or if she's a student she could register for free through the Dreamspark program.

Are the average costs of apps similar to what we may find on the Android Market and HP App Catalog?

They're more expensive. Though you will find a lot more stability and consistency with how apps function on a variety of devices.

How useful, well-done, easy is the Facebook app? She's a moderate user of FB, not heavy by any means. She likes to look at pictures and send messages.

It's pretty simple and basic and will do the things your wife wants. It's been fine for me. But I've heard that some users prefer to use the web browser.

Is there a way to just turn off 3G/4G, yet keep the voice connection on? With her Pixi she's able to selectively turn off various network components so she won't have to hear emails and FB updates while sleeping. She'll always leave the voice connection turned on.

You can turn off data.

The consistent interfaces on apps for webOS is comforting to her and me. When I moved to Android I was astonished by the interfaces of apps being so inconsistent. The menus made no sense on the apps, buttons were all over the place. On webOS there is just one menu that you access by swiping down from the upper-left. Does WP7 suffer from app design inconsistencies like Android, or is it more uniform?

It's pretty uniform.

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
1. Hard reset
2. Not able to answer
3. Perpends
4. Built into the phone
5. Don't think so. You have to turn off the whole network, but you can leave WiFi on.
6. There is a menu oh the side we th everything on incl. Settings , people hub etc. There's the apps you pin to the homes teen, and all games go to the XBL hub.
Hope I helped! :happy:

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Winning Guy, thank you for the detailed response. I had no idea she could get on the Dreamspark program for free as a student, which she is. I never heard of it before. Thanks so much!

That's ok about not being able to reload the OS. If it's that stable as you mentioned, we shouldn't have too much trouble.

iamtheWP7minority, thank you as well! So there is a hard reset, after all. Not quite an OS reload, but better than nothing.

Thanks you guys.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
For the first point, when updates are released the whole OS, settings and content are backed up through Zune, you can restore this at any time. Unfortunately that is dependant on a update of some kind coming out as it is not possible to perform a full back up at will. This is one of the more requested features to MS and will probably be added in future.

Think everything else has been covered so I'll just add that the Dreamspark program is fantastic for students, and indeed anyone with an interest in programming, app or game development.

If you're at college and they're not registered with them I strongly suggest that you have a word with the IT department to see about joining up. The software that is available for nothing through it is incredible.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
To the OP, there's a util that will let you make a complete backup even down to the most recent texts you've sent and received.
This webpage has instructions on how to update HTC Trophy and I think the utility mentioned for making a backup will work on just about any WP device. You might want to check with the author though.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
mprice86, I see. What is and where can I find Zune? I always thought Zune was an MS music player, like an iPod or something. Is the Zune you speak of something different?

I will definitely see if her college is participating in the Dreamspark program. It must be real nice if two people have now spoken highly of it.

Edit: Is this what you're talking about? http://www.zune.net/en-US/products/software/download/default.htm Seems like an iTunes type of service to me...

Jleebiker, bingo! Reminds me of Save/Restore on webOS, though a lot more work. Thanks a ton.

One other question though, folks. My wife is not, but I am a very heavy user of Google Docs. Am I correct in guessing Google Docs integration is sorely lacking on WP since MS wants to push Office?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
One other question though, folks. My wife is not, but I am a very heavy user of Google Docs. Am I correct in guessing Google Docs integration is sorely lacking on WP since MS wants to push Office?

Google isn't playing nice with Windows Phone. Google won't release the Youtube API to Microsoft so MS can build a high quality Youtube app. The developers of MetroTube (a popular Youtube app) recently pulled their app because of Google's poor support. HTC also did the same with their Youtube app. If Google Docs doesn't come you can bet that's more to do with Google than Microsoft.

Though, to be fair to Google, Windows Phone is the competition. The fact that Google isn't supporting Windows Phone shouldn't be that surprising.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
If she wants to go full homebrew then check out the XDA forum. There’s no equivalent to WebOS Doctor but if there are any major problems then she could probably get away with reloading the ROM. However, if she decides to use the OS as is then there’s no need for something like WebOS Doctor. WP7 is pretty solid.
Prices are closer to HP Apps. Android is cheaper.
Mostly pictures and sending messages? She won’t even need the app. The ability to view photo albums, post pictures, send messages and chat are built right into the phone.
Like Winning Guy suggested, you can turn off data. You can also try turning on Battery Saver though I’m not sure how that would affect Facebook messages. She could also just turn off the ringer and vibrate.
Waaaaaay more uniform.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Maybe its time you took a look at SkyDrive, with it's 25GB of free space for each of you, and seamless integration with MS Office on your WP.

Zune is Microsoft's music service, but it is also used to purchase apps, videos and music in Marketplace for your PC and phone. Additionally,it syncs all your media and backs up and delivers updates to your phone. And Zune Pass, a subscription service, is second to none for your phone. Take advantage of the free trial for sure.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Just a concurrence with the last couple of posters. I used to be in the Google ecosystem, but moved over to Live- and I have to say, the Office experience between the two is drastically different. I didn't realize how absolutely horrible the GDocs system was until I tried MS' Web Office stuff.

Worth a good 30 min of your time to look at the differences and try them out.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Google isn't playing nice with Windows Phone. Google won't release the Youtube API to Microsoft so MS can build a high quality Youtube app. The developers of MetroTube (a popular Youtube app) recently pulled their app because of Google's poor support. HTC also did the same with their Youtube app. If Google Docs doesn't come you can bet that's more to do with Google than Microsoft.

Though, to be fair to Google, Windows Phone is the competition. The fact that Google isn't supporting Windows Phone shouldn't be that surprising.

If she wants to go full homebrew then check out the XDA forum. There?s no equivalent to WebOS Doctor but if there are any major problems then she could probably get away with reloading the ROM. However, if she decides to use the OS as is then there?s no need for something like WebOS Doctor. WP7 is pretty solid.

Prices are closer to HP Apps. Android is cheaper.

Mostly pictures and sending messages? She won?t even need the app. The ability to view photo albums, post pictures, send messages and chat are built right into the phone.

Like Winning Guy suggested, you can turn off data. You can also try turning on Battery Saver though I?m not sure how that would affect Facebook messages. She could also just turn off the ringer and vibrate.

Waaaaaay more uniform.

Yeah, I kinda figured Google and MS wouldn't play nice since they are mobile, office, video, and search competitors. Oh well.

I don't think my wife would get too heavy into deep system customization of her WP, but it's good to know XDA has some ROMs. Thanks.

Yes, Android apps are insanely cheap. I have found that webOS apps tend to be a little pricier on the average.

Oh, so she won't need the FB app after all. Sweet. She just likes to message within FB and see everyone's pictures. That's about it. Sometimes she uploads her own pics too, of course.

"Waaaaaay more uniform." Suhhhh-weet!

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site

Although MS have delivered a very tasty XBL app for iPhone users, as well as Windows Phone exclusives that are going to be coming their way.... and Androids way too :(

I hope MS end up suing the arse off them... some more that is! :D

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Maybe its time you took a look at SkyDrive, with it's 25GB of free space for each of you, and seamless integration with MS Office on your WP.

Zune is Microsoft's music service, but it is also used to purchase apps, videos and music in Marketplace for your PC and phone. Additionally,it syncs all your media and backs up and delivers updates to your phone. And Zune Pass, a subscription service, is second to none for your phone. Take advantage of the free trial for sure.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Hmm, that's a good idea. The only issue I have is that we'd have to buy MS Office for our (her) computer as well, to maintain document consistency across platforms.

Thank you for the explanation of Zune. I didn't know any of that.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, that's a good idea. The only issue I have is that we'd have to buy MS Office for our (her) computer as well, to maintain document consistency across platforms.

Thank you for the explanation of Zune. I didn't know any of that.

Keep in mind that for simple documents, she can use the FREE Office Web Apps that are integrated into her LIVE Account.

Office Web Apps - Office.com

Go to Skydrive
Choose to create a new document

She can also collaborate with others on this document.

SkyDrive and Office: 7 tips for full-powered collaboration in the cloud across PCs and Macs

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Winning Guy, thank you for the detailed response. I had no idea she could get on the Dreamspark program for free as a student, which she is. I never heard of it before. Thanks so much!

That's ok about not being able to reload the OS. If it's that stable as you mentioned, we shouldn't have too much trouble.

iamtheWP7minority, thank you as well! So there is a hard reset, after all. Not quite an OS reload, but better than nothing.

Thanks you guys.

One answer both missed: You can turn data off and still use 3g/4g for voice.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
One answer both missed: You can turn data off and still use 3g/4g for voice.

Right, I was wanting to verify I could turn all data off (3G/4G/WiFi) yet still keep the phone line available. If that makes sense. I want to be able to make and receive calls, yet have data off entirely.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I kinda figured Google and MS wouldn't play nice since they are mobile, office, video, and search competitors. Oh well.

I don't think my wife would get too heavy into deep system customization of her WP, but it's good to know XDA has some ROMs. Thanks.

Yes, Android apps are insanely cheap. I have found that webOS apps tend to be a little pricier on the average.

Oh, so she won't need the FB app after all. Sweet. She just likes to message within FB and see everyone's pictures. That's about it. Sometimes she uploads her own pics too, of course.

"Waaaaaay more uniform." Suhhhh-weet!
oh, ur wife is going to love the picture hub if she likes to browse other fb user's pictures... i didn't know if pulls those data as well when i first got it lol

for the data/voice thing, i have data turned off and still am able to make phone calls so u're good there

by the way, Zune is awsome imo :] might take a little exploring when u first install it on windows though, the interface is different from what most other ones are like

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa