Any reason to switch to a live account instead of gmail?

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes.

1. If you have an Xbox Live account, using your Live account links your gamertag to your phone.

2. The Skydrive integration. That's 25 GBs of extra storage linked to your phone.

3. Office Web Apps: Word, Excel, Onenote. Access it on your computer through your live account and it syncs to your phone. Vice versa.

4. From my experience, Live Calendar plays best with WP7. My Tasks/To-Do's on Google Calendar didn't sync to my phone.

That's all I can think of right now...

Calidude

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Just get a Live account to compliment your Gmail account. You'll probably find it handy in the future anyway with Windows 8-9-10 etc.

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I use both and find that the Live account works better with WP7 than gmail does, but ultimately gmail works fine and it's just personal choice. (Admittedly I only use gmail for mail. Calendar, contacts and tasks are all in my Live account)

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Skydrive. It's awesome.

I love formulating quotes on the move with my WP (Excel) and then finishing it up on my laptop when I get home.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Basically no - I never use skydrive (too clunky) and perfer Picasa for the 40gb of photos I have and other things I want to put up.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Skydrive is nice. Just add a live account to go along with your Gmail account. Being able to save office documents is pretty.useful.

Sent from my Galaxy S II

MannLou

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Between Skydrive and Dropbox I have an extra 30Gb of storage. The live account is worth it for me. I use it for all things related to MSFT just to have it all in one place. Just a thought to consider.

Sent from my kick-*** TITAN using Board Express

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't really use my live account much. I made it because I had to. I much prefer the email experience with Gmail. I have my email, calendar, and contacts all synced with Gmail and it work awesome.

Sent from my Trophy using Board Express

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't really use my live account much. I made it because I had to. I much prefer the email experience with Gmail. I have my email, calendar, and contacts all synced with Gmail and it work awesome.

Just out of curiosity, how were you forced into opening a Live account?

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, how were you forced into opening a Live account?

Can you access the web-base market (to buy things) and the web version of 'my phone' (or whatever they call it) without a live account?

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Can you access the web-base market (to buy things) and the web version of 'my phone' (or whatever they call it) without a live account?

I honestly don't know as I've had a Hotmail account since it's birth. Logically, it would make sense to have a Hotmail/Live account considering you're purchasing a phone/platform that relies heavily on those services.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I honestly don't know as I've had a Hotmail account since it's birth. Logically, it would make sense to have a Hotmail/Live account considering you're purchasing a phone/platform that relies heavily on those services.

I don't know either because I also have a very old hotmail account... give me a second...

Edit: Yes, you need a live account.

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
You have to have a live (or hotmail o suppose) account to download from the market and to use/purchase from Zune. I don't have a problem with live, I just don't use it as Gmail works better for me and it syncs fine with my phone. Besides, I don't like getting tied down to one ecosystem as I will probably switch back and forth to different phone OS's in the future.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
As far as I can tell, the built in email app also doesn't delete Gmail messages properly, it just removes the inbox label. I manually move mails to the deleted items folder now.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
As far as I can tell, the built in email app also doesn't delete Gmail messages properly, it just removes the inbox label. I manually move mails to the deleted items folder now.

From what others have said before, it's not the phone's fault and has more to do with how Google handles deleted emails.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
i have used both and i prefer the live experience. so for all of the reasons as stated above, and for the fact you are supporting microsoft, not google! gmail is clunky and overrated.

EvilFiek

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I've had a Live account for ages ... but it's my gmail adress. So I don't have the Hotmail Email stuff, but I get access to all the nice Live features like Skydrive etc. while still only having to use my Gmail-address. So if you don't want a @live.com address, just use your Gmail address to open your account.