01-30-2012 11:29 AM
41 12
tools
    If I get a wp is there any benefit to switch from gmail to live?
    01-25-2012 11:42 PM
    Yes.

1. If you have an Xbox Live account, using your Live account links your gamertag to your phone.

2. The Skydrive integration. That's 25 GBs of extra storage linked to your phone.

3. Office Web Apps: Word, Excel, Onenote. Access it on your computer through your live account and it syncs to your phone. Vice versa.

4. From my experience, Live Calendar plays best with WP7. My Tasks/To-Do's on Google Calendar didn't sync to my phone.

That's all I can think of right now...
    Rich Edmonds likes this.
    01-26-2012 12:53 AM
    Just get a Live account to compliment your Gmail account. You'll probably find it handy in the future anyway with Windows 8-9-10 etc.
    01-26-2012 12:59 AM
    I use both and find that the Live account works better with WP7 than gmail does, but ultimately gmail works fine and it's just personal choice. (Admittedly I only use gmail for mail. Calendar, contacts and tasks are all in my Live account)
    01-26-2012 04:06 AM
    Skydrive. It's awesome.

I love formulating quotes on the move with my WP (Excel) and then finishing it up on my laptop when I get home.
    01-26-2012 04:54 AM
    Basically no - I never use skydrive (too clunky) and perfer Picasa for the 40gb of photos I have and other things I want to put up.
    01-26-2012 05:22 AM
    Skydrive is nice. Just add a live account to go along with your Gmail account. Being able to save office documents is pretty.useful.

Sent from my Galaxy S II
    01-26-2012 06:13 AM
    Between Skydrive and Dropbox I have an extra 30Gb of storage. The live account is worth it for me. I use it for all things related to MSFT just to have it all in one place. Just a thought to consider.

Sent from my kick-*** TITAN using Board Express
    01-26-2012 06:23 AM
    I don't really use my live account much. I made it because I had to. I much prefer the email experience with Gmail. I have my email, calendar, and contacts all synced with Gmail and it work awesome.

Sent from my Trophy using Board Express
    speedtouch likes this.
    01-26-2012 06:29 AM
    I don't really use my live account much. I made it because I had to. I much prefer the email experience with Gmail. I have my email, calendar, and contacts all synced with Gmail and it work awesome.

Just out of curiosity, how were you forced into opening a Live account?
    01-26-2012 06:31 AM
    Just out of curiosity, how were you forced into opening a Live account?
    Can you access the web-base market (to buy things) and the web version of 'my phone' (or whatever they call it) without a live account?
    01-26-2012 06:54 AM
    Can you access the web-base market (to buy things) and the web version of 'my phone' (or whatever they call it) without a live account?
    I honestly don't know as I've had a Hotmail account since it's birth. Logically, it would make sense to have a Hotmail/Live account considering you're purchasing a phone/platform that relies heavily on those services.
    soulzero and jaded skies like this.
    01-26-2012 07:00 AM
    I honestly don't know as I've had a Hotmail account since it's birth. Logically, it would make sense to have a Hotmail/Live account considering you're purchasing a phone/platform that relies heavily on those services.
    I don't know either because I also have a very old hotmail account... give me a second...

Edit: Yes, you need a live account.
    01-26-2012 07:07 AM
    If I get a wp is there any benefit to switch from gmail to live?
    The benefit is giving Google the finger. Had to, sorry :P
    01-26-2012 07:26 AM
    For this:

At work > Open browser > Upload work files to Skydrive > Open phone > View files like a boss.
    Siah1214 likes this.
    01-26-2012 08:08 AM
    You have to have a live (or hotmail o suppose) account to download from the market and to use/purchase from Zune. I don't have a problem with live, I just don't use it as Gmail works better for me and it syncs fine with my phone. Besides, I don't like getting tied down to one ecosystem as I will probably switch back and forth to different phone OS's in the future.

01-26-2012 08:34 AM
    As far as I can tell, the built in email app also doesn't delete Gmail messages properly, it just removes the inbox label. I manually move mails to the deleted items folder now.
    01-26-2012 09:52 AM
    As far as I can tell, the built in email app also doesn't delete Gmail messages properly, it just removes the inbox label. I manually move mails to the deleted items folder now.
    From what others have said before, it's not the phone's fault and has more to do with how Google handles deleted emails.
    01-26-2012 10:45 AM
    i have used both and i prefer the live experience. so for all of the reasons as stated above, and for the fact you are supporting microsoft, not google! gmail is clunky and overrated.
    01-26-2012 10:53 AM
    I've had a Live account for ages ... but it's my gmail adress. So I don't have the Hotmail Email stuff, but I get access to all the nice Live features like Skydrive etc. while still only having to use my Gmail-address. So if you don't want a @live.com address, just use your Gmail address to open your account.
    01-26-2012 11:48 AM
    Sky drive Zune and Xbox live. Plus using multiple email accounts gets old after a while. I always switch everything to the service my primary platform uses for this reason. Synching multiple accounts to one device also wastes battery.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    01-26-2012 01:48 PM
    I'm tied into Google calendars for now and my publicly available email address is a Google email account. I had to create a Live account to use my WP phone but other than that, I never use it. Just having the required Live account created automatically gave me access to Skydrive anyway, so that's no advantage, just an after effect from having to set up a Live account to use the phone.

So for me, it comes down to this - if you have no ties to one service or the other, which do you hate/fear the least, Google or MS? Good luck and godspeed in figuring out how to split that baby in a way that makes anyone happy.
    aubreyq likes this.
    01-26-2012 01:53 PM
    I've had a Live account for ages ... but it's my gmail adress. So I don't have the Hotmail Email stuff, but I get access to all the nice Live features like Skydrive etc. while still only having to use my Gmail-address. So if you don't want a @live.com address, just use your Gmail address to open your account.
    This is what I did. I keep everything updated in google.

I have been wondering if there is any benefit to resetting my phone and importing everything to live.com. At least my calendar and contacts. It is too much trouble to move to a new e-mail address. Guess that could be one way to filter out some spam e-mail!
    01-26-2012 02:02 PM
    I'm tied into Google calendars for now and my publicly available email address is a Google email account. I had to create a Live account to use my WP phone but other than that, I never use it. Just having the required Live account created automatically gave me access to Skydrive anyway, so that's no advantage, just an after effect from having to set up a Live account to use the phone.

So for me, it comes down to this - if you have no ties to one service or the other, which do you hate/fear the least, Google or MS? Good luck and godspeed in figuring out how to split that baby in a way that makes anyone happy.
    The person said Live Account. He should have written Google Account instead of Gmail, since both Hotmail and Gmail and Sub-Services of Windows Live and a Google Account.

If you want SkyDrive, you still need a Live Account. You need a Live Account period to use a Windows Phone, anyways. Only thing you have to think about is where you want your email to go to, and that's strictly your choice. Even if you actually have Hotmail, no one is forcing you to use it. You can just set it to never sync email, remove the tile, and replace it with the Google Mail Tile.

A Windows Live Account is needed for Microsoft Services like Zune Pass, SkyDrive, etc. though.

The same way you can use Picasa and delete your Gmail sub-service at Google, you can use SkyDrive and never use (or have, in many cases) Hotmail.

I just wish they'd fix their Contacts so that only one list is managed, instead of two. It's causing Windows Live Messenger contact names to change on my phone from the real name to the nick name, and oftentimes it shows up as an email address instead of the contact name in Threads.
    aubreyq likes this.
    01-26-2012 03:58 PM
    I think that has been fixed today - just testing, you need to go to m.google.com/sync and there is a setting that I think solves that.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    01-26-2012 04:21 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD