Bold prediction about Tango

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
K guys i feel like making a bold prediction I made one about the Lumia 900 being 99$ and I guess I was sorta right but here it goes.

Tango's main aim is to shrink the Windows Phone platform so in order to do that alot of compression needs to be done to provide that WP experience on a smaller screen so here are the features that I think are going to be added.

1. Folders already mentioned. Why add folders? Well I wasn't a big fan at the start I liked how I placed all my live tiles on my street screen and I guess that was my answer to a notification center. But nowadays applications allow you to pin more than one tile. With folders it would be nice if I can pin all my sports tiles and put it into a sports folder. The sports folder will flip between the tiles showing me information for every tile pinned to that folder. Its a great idea to organize the start screen.

2. Notification center swipe to the left? Compressed screens you need as much information all together at once. A user that has to swipe down his/her start menu will get annoyed especially at a low resolution so a notification center with all toast notifications is necessary.

3. Changes in Outlook. If Microsoft/Nokia aim to make a "Blackberry" styled phone then they have to make sure it can do business just as good as a Blackberry if they want that marketshare. No other vendors are doing this ATM and its a great way to move those Blackberry users that are aiming towards iPhone to a Windows Phone

4. Media bar will be smaller just for smaller handsets

5. More IM built into messaing hub Yahoo, Google Talk etc. Blackberry was known as a messaging/e-mail phone and alot of countries still use Yahoo and Google Talk as main IM's. I'm not 100% sure Microsoft can integrate these too but Yahoo is still popular in certain countries and if they can capitalize on this it would make alot of people happy

Not but not least language support people love keyboards but hate when they cant type their native language. With more language support these Tango devies will sell like hot cakes.

This is yet again a bold prediction I am very excited for MWC if you guys got any predictions post them here and lets see who gets the most right in March :)

Let me know what you guys think

totoropororo

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
2. Notification center swipe to the left? Compressed screens you need as much information all together at once. A user that has to swipe down his/her start menu will get annoyed especially at a low resolution so a notification center with all toast notifications is necessary.

I believe the only logical way for the notification center to work is probably by swiping down so that it is accessible from any screen not just the start screen. Swiping to the left would mean that Microsoft would logically have to make the swipe to the right apps (possibly people would find it annoying - lots of human psychology involved here I suppose). I certainly wouldn't want to continuously swipe left. But going by this whole swiping scenario I think we should utilise swiping more readily. Notification centre should be swiped down, swipe to the right would be settings or maybe toggles for Wi-Fi, cellular, Bluetooth controls. and swipe to the right would be apps as usual. Swipe down I'm not sure what that could be unless we make that it multitasking (?) although it'll often hit those buttons down the bottom.

5. More IM built into messaing hub Yahoo, Google Talk etc. Blackberry was known as a messaging/e-mail phone and alot of countries still use Yahoo and Google Talk as main IM's. I'm not 100% sure Microsoft can integrate these too but Yahoo is still popular in certain countries and if they can capitalize on this it would make alot of people happy
If Microsoft do capitalise on the rumoured BB acquisition, I believe BBM could be integrated into WP7/8 much like Skype is going to be. This would fundamentally attract a lot of enterprise and possibly teens (although there Whatapp, WLM etc.) if there is enough encryption and security. People buy BB just for BBM, while I would prefer a BB Bold form factor in terms of windows but that would be unusable. So if BBM were to come to WP ecosystem we would need a secure server to attract those enterprise market.

I doubt Tango will add much, but rather I would see your prediction be more viable in Apollo update.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Without touching on everything, I like the "swipe to the left" (at the home screen) for notifications idea. It would make a lot of sense for those who obsess about what toasts they have missed.

More language support is only a matter of time before it arrives. Regarding BBM, that would be a strong selling point for WP. I miss BBM and haven't found a messaging service to rival it on iPhone or WP.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
My biggest hope for Tango is that they tighten up the live tile function. We've heard about the live tile customisation...

They're a little bit too hit 'n miss at the moment. You shouldn't have to open an app in order for the live tile to update. I mean, that's defeating the whole idea of a 'live' tile. Would dual core help? Maybe....

.... can't believe I just wrote that (last bit). :D

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Folders make perfect sense for those rumored chassis 2 or whatever handsets, like an E71 or BlackBerry. Not a lot of screen but folders can help mitigate that. What do you all think?

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't expect anything TOO major until Apollo. I could see folders being added though, since it would be pretty necessary with smaller screen sizes.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
The things I mentioned above shouldn't be too hard to implement especially folders and notification center I think they will get it done two very crutial features for smaller phones.

largefunds

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I think MSFT surprises us with Tango... Too quiet and a big venue to tell the world about what your doing.

Along with big device launches in March.

I am not saying Tango will be as big as Apollo but I think it has some surprises in it for us.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I think the biggest thing those of us receiving tango update will see, due to it's primary purpose of optimization for lower spec, is, like what we saw with the update to mango, a massive increase in speed. I'm looking forward to it!

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
The things I mentioned above shouldn't be too hard to implement especially folders and notification center I think they will get it done two very crutial features for smaller phones.

A swipe to the left for notifications would be sweet. The problem with a vertical swipe, either up or down, would be those of us that have more than 8 live tiles on our start screen accidentally accessing notifications just trying to get to a different live tile.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
It'll be interesting to see if you're right. I'd like to see a Left panel as well, though not just as a notification center but also for frequently used apps, or some kind of app history.

I can't say I agree with folders just yet, though it's not an unlikely prediction. If it does come I hope it's elegant. I saw a screen shot of folders on iOS and it looked like a mess.

CamiKitti

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Folders and notification center swipe to the left would be great! Although, I don't know what I'd do with folders...
They also need a phone search feature. Sorry to say, but that's one of the things I like about the iPhone...

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
It would be nice if they eventually include a "Marketplace" tab under Bing search. That way I could unpin the marketplace tile and access the marketplace quicker, at the same time.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Heheh I guess that integration of Bing to use your search terms to search the marketplace isn't as helpful to you as MS thought.

Ha. :) Maybe....

I get they want to keep it separate, but I don't see any harm in having a marketplace tab thrown in there that you could swipe to.

mdscj4

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
From what I understand and from what I've read, Tango is an update only meant for phones in emerging markets, and that's it.

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Folders is definitely in the next update. I've got a mate at work whose friend is a Nokia rep. She has been showing off the Lumia to him, trying to get him to buy one.

He seems tempted, so I showed him mine at work today to sway him even more. I was pointing out to him that I currently have some homebrew stuff on it like Folders. He inadvertently confirmed his friend had shown him (real) folders while advising this was not yet on the current phones, but coming in the next update.

I know this is a 'friend of a friend' story, so I don't expect anyone to believe me, but it certainly made me happy when he said it. He's not up-to-date on Windows Phones, so there is no other way he could have known about this.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
folders and notifications, thats it... still really want toggle switches for wifi, bluetooth, ect.. maybe as a button right under the arrow. and improved navigation with auto voice directions. and further tile customization.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa