Bold prediction about Tango

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
But, the Me tile shows you notifications without you having to access it; it's live.

Hmm, I never really used it so I wouldn't know, but how much would it show in the square? If the Me tile were a rectangle I could see it being useful because then you can see a bit more content from the notification.

Well, if you didn't want to use it... well, there's no a lot anyone can really do about that. I honestly don't know who WOULDN'T use the Me tile. It's awesome. All my social notifications alerts through one live tile, with the ability to access all the notifications as a list, check in, post status updates or profile picture changes to any, or all of my social sites, at the same time... and not to forget, the combined news feed is great.

Including toasts to the Me tile would be the most logical way forward, IMO. It's simple.
See that's the problem, there might not be people that use all the social aspects like you do or want the Me tile pinned to their Start screen. I mean I get what you're saying and can see the logic on how if you had notifications form third party apps they could extend into the Me tile, but I still think there should be a second way to access that information, especially when I think about how the Me tile is strictly construed for social networking.

It's the standard for iOS and Android as they don't really have any other options. I mean, what else could they do? They both have a bunch of static icons that don't offer any real time information. Windows Phone does and I think it's important that the platform focuses on it's strengths, instead of looking towards the competitions weaknesses.

Well I wouldn't put it that far. I see it more as a functionality that just arises. I'm not precluding there isn't some other way to do it, though. If MS can achieve the same management of notifications without resorting to notification center as understood under Android and iOS then I'm all for it. But that's really all I'm saying; there 's just gotta be some way to manage and display missed content from third party apps with toast notifications.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
The Me Tile is only Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn/Windows Live, which is fairly useless for a lot of people because they don't use those. Toasts for them won't help.

iOS has Badges and Android has Widgets and Badges which can functionally replace Live Tiles and are updateable with C2DM Push Notifications on that platform (as are the Badges on iOS). This also means the crap about lag and battery drain is foolish at best. That only happens for widgets that Poll instead of recieving PUSHed updates (which some do, BTW).

The only Platform at a disadvantage IRT Notifications is WP7. The only thing Live Tiles offer over badges (which they can contain) on iOS (since Android Widgets can literally replicate their functionality) is a pretty picture/animation and a waste of screen real-estate.

I'd totally give up Live Tiles for Notification Center. A Notification Cache is that important, and I can't believe people are still responding with the (intentional or otherwise) insinuation that Social Network Notifications are all that matters.

Any app you install on an Android or iOS device can put their Notifications in the Slider/Center or trigger a Toast (on iOS) or Notification Bar Notification. That is not the case for WP7 (which lacks a Notification Cache) and it's not the case for the Me Hub, which is locked down to a preset number of social networks - 1/2 of which the average consumer probably doesn't even care about (LinkedIn and Twitter, unless they use Twitter as a glorified RSS reader like me, it's good for that - no one I know is social on Windows Live, uses SkyDrive, or cares to share stuff through SkyDrive they use Facebook for that stuff - which has its own Office Live Apps deployment integrated with the service BTW).

WP7 has literally no advantages here. None.

Also, context is what makes working with an Android or iOS device easy. On WP7 you actually have to your your phone more just to do something like triage Notifications, because there is no context and you have no idea with that "1" or "3" is for. That's a huge disadvantage over the Lock Screen Comprehensive Scrollable Notifications on iOS or the brain dead stupid easy list presented in the Android Drop-Down. It's not a comparable experience. It's inferior, and factorably so.

Microsoft needs to improve it. It was supposed to save us from our phones, remember? Or maybe they're banking on us never getting a decent number of notifications?

Well the tiles are part of their design language, so I can't see them getting rid of that. I do want a notification center, but then again, I don't want WP7 to turn into Android/iOS. I'm hoping that Microsoft can be innovative and come up with something new.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Well the tiles are part of their design language, so I can't see them getting rid of that. I do want a notification center, but then again, I don't want WP7 to turn into Android/iOS. I'm hoping that Microsoft can be innovative and come up with something new.

Wow... Again.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, I never really used it so I wouldn't know, but how much would it show in the square? If the Me tile were a rectangle I could see it being useful because then you can see a bit more content from the notification.

The Me tile shows less than half a sentence in the square. It's virtually useless, especially if you get more than one notification, then it will just say "2 Notifica" or something like that. They mind as well should have just made it a badge.

Also, the Me Tile isn't updated with Push Notifications. It's updated via a background task, so it cannot be relied upon to give timely notifications - in fact, it shouldn't be. Even the Facebook app with its slow Push Notifications is 10x faster than the Me Hub 9x out of 10.

If they made everything a rectangle than it would waste even more screen real estate.

They need to just throw in the towel and give a decent notification center. It's the only way to preserve what supposed simplicity and easy of navigation the phone already has while providing a decent notification system.

M

mkr10001

They need to just throw in the towel and give a decent notification center. It's the only way to preserve what supposed simplicity and easy of navigation the phone already has while providing a decent notification system.

No they don't.

If you're that interested in a notification centre get an android or iphone

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
whats with the notification center! i dont really use the ME tile so maybe it be a ncie feature for the ME tile notification ... but thats IT!!!

if you have miss call , miss txt , e-mail ect... the phone tell you right on the maine screen so why do you want a notification center?? the UI is a notification center....

you have 1 text , you open text , if you cant see where your unread text is

return all the electronics in your house.

cause its the only thing highlighted!!! LMAO! hello!!!

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site

The Me tile will inform you of multiple people who have liked or commented on a post or picture. If there are too many notifications to list, it'll tell you how many new alerts there are taking you to a detailed lists of notifications once you've accessed the app.

See that's the problem, there might not be people that use all the social aspects like you do or want the Me tile pinned to their Start screen. I mean I get what you're saying and can see the logic on how if you had notifications form third party apps they could extend into the Me tile, but I still think there should be a second way to access that information, especially when I think about how the Me tile is strictly construed for social networking.

I still don't understand why anyone wouldn't pin the Me tile if it displayed all the notifications you need. Because they simply want a second way to access that information? How stubborn can one be? :p;)

Well I wouldn't put it that far. I see it more as a functionality that just arises. I'm not precluding there isn't some other way to do it, though. If MS can achieve the same management of notifications without resorting to notification center as understood under Android and iOS then I'm all for it. But that's really all I'm saying; there 's just gotta be some way to manage and display missed content from third party apps with toast notifications.

THE ME TILE, DAMMIT! :D In all seriousness, I'm interested to see how they tackle it in Apollo. If it were up to me, I would have included Toasts alerts to the Me tile for Tango.

I would say the Me tile is my favourite tile, by far. It's definitely up there with Bing as the most useful tile for your average smart phone user.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
The Me tile will inform you of multiple people who have liked or commented on a post or picture. If there are too many notifications to list, it'll tell you how many new alerts there are taking you to a detailed lists of notifications once you've accessed the app.

Hmm I see. But it won't show you the content of the notification unless you go in there right? See that's why I wouldn't mind a system that manages that. Effectively the notification system would be just so you can display, instead of your lock screen, any incoming content that you choose to display. I mean I still get what you're saying, but I think that finer degree of control would be great.

I mean I don't think it should encompass every little thing because WP already displays some most of the pertinent stuff anyways, but I think it would be nice at least as far as third party apps are concerned to display that content in the event you missed it before it disappeared or something like that. I have a couple ideas on how it should work but I'd rather communicate them to MS directly and privately.

I still don't understand why anyone wouldn't pin the Me tile if it displayed all the notifications you need. Because they simply want a second way to access that information? How stubborn can one be? :p;)

Eh, I guess I'm just not as big of a Facebook whore as you are :p

THE ME TILE, DAMMIT! :D In all seriousness, I'm interested to see how they tackle it in Apollo. If it were up to me, I would have included Toasts alerts to the Me tile for Tango.

I would say the Me tile is my favourite tile, by far. It's definitely up there with Bing as the most useful tile for your average smart phone user.

I can see the logic on how it'd go into the Me tile, but I still construe the Me tile exclusively for social networks and their notifications. I think third party apps should have their own hub of sorts, e.g. Notification system :p

L

lumic

I want a notification system that provides centralised notifications for third party services and the ability to catch up on missed toast notifications. Heck, just pay Nokia for the Harmattan system and improve it so you can prioritise apps that are important to you and allow for short-term pinning of notifications.

The notion that I am expected to pin every app that I need a notification for to the start screen is ludicrous. Saying "it's fine right now" is how you end up with Windows Mobile 6.5.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb