AT&T 8107 Update

slinky826

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
For curiosity sake, care to expand on this a little?

Well, using the LG MFG menu, you can get into a lot of the phones settings, including the registry editor. By making a simple change to the mobileoperator string, you debrand the phone. Upon connecting to Zune, it'll update the phone. After installing the updates, just rebranded the phone by putting original string info back in.

syang87

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't know, but I went ahead and tried the debranding trick with my phone, and now it's updated to 8107. Couldn't have been easier; debrand on the phone itself, connect to Zune, get 7740 and 8107 updates, rebrand back to AT&T, good to go.

How do you debrand? I have a focus flash

slinky826

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
How do you debrand? I have a focus flash

Not sure how to on the Samsung's. They have a different MFG menu than the LG's do. LG has a full blown reg editor on the phone in their MFG menu, and apparently, it's possible to developer unlock an LG phone without needing additional software.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Well, using the LG MFG menu, you can get into a lot of the phones settings, including the registry editor. By making a simple change to the mobileoperator string, you debrand the phone. Upon connecting to Zune, it'll update the phone. After installing the updates, just rebranded the phone by putting original string info back in.
Guess the only issue is if LG pushes a firmware updates with 8107, you probably won't get it because the update service will expect you to be running something less than 8107. Running 8107, ok so on to the ne:xt phone. So you might not get the firmware till the next OS update, unless you can restore your backup and do it over.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

slinky826

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Guess the only issue is if LG pushes a firmware updates with 8107, you probably won't get it because the update service will expect you to be running something less than 8107. Running 8107, ok so on to the ne:xt phone. So you might not get the firmware till the next OS update, unless you can restore your backup and do it over.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

I remember when updating to 7720, the firmware was a separate update. Though if it does require it, my back up was made from 7720, before 7740 installed. 8107 didn't create a back up.

NairobiWP

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I remember when updating to 7720, the firmware was a separate update. Though if it does require it, my back up was made from 7720, before 7740 installed. 8107 didn't create a back up.

Interesting. I debranded by LG Quantum, but cant get it to pick up the 7740 or the 8107 update. It always says my phone is upto date with 7720. Any ideas?

Deathbyvegemite

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a Focus S on ATT, with the 8107 update, and I no longer have the keyboard issues present prior to the update.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Shane

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry but from what I have been told, this is completely false. I spoke with AT&T today and this is what they told me at least in regards to my Titan.

The update is released (by MS) for specific devices to the phone manufacturer. The phone manufacturer in this case is HTC. They then do their "tweaks" and then the update is sent to AT&T for further testing if needed.

AT&T knew nothing about the update. HTC had no record of the update being released to them specifically for the AT&T Titan (just because it's called a Titan doesn't mean it can be updated like "other" Titans). Hence no clearer idea on when the update will be released for the AT&T Titan. Oh, and also, not every phone (be it Titan, HD7s, etc) will get every update. Which means my phone may not be updated until the next major release and even then it may not get that one.

I am just relaying what was told to me by the AT&T tech person. I believe she was being as honest as possible with the info she had, she put me on hold to call the HTC rep to ask them the question as well. So in short don't hold your breath for middle of February.

russshoe

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry but from what I have been told, this is completely false. I spoke with AT&T today and this is what they told me at least in regards to my Titan.

The update is released (by MS) for specific devices to the phone manufacturer. The phone manufacturer in this case is HTC. They then do their "tweaks" and then the update is sent to AT&T for further testing if needed.

AT&T knew nothing about the update. HTC had no record of the update being released to them specifically for the AT&T Titan (just because it's called a Titan doesn't mean it can be updated like "other" Titans). Hence no clearer idea on when the update will be released for the AT&T Titan. Oh, and also, not every phone (be it Titan, HD7s, etc) will get every update. Which means my phone may not be updated until the next major release and even then it may not get that one.

I am just relaying what was told to me by the AT&T tech person. I believe she was being as honest as possible with the info she had, she put me on hold to call the HTC rep to ask them the question as well. So in short don't hold your breath for middle of February.
I was told by AT&T that it would be the middle of Feb and I believe this to be totally true and what you are posting to be false

russshoe

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
what dept told you that? i have got everything from call samsung your oem releases it to call MS too I have no idea what your talking about from just about every CSR i talk too!
Someone one in TIER 3 who was working on the U-Verse app looked it up while he was getting information from me to trouble shoot the U-Verse app.
Is your world going to come to a end if you do not get this update right now?
Get a life it is only a telephone

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
...and yet, here we are, middle of Feb, and no update. I just chatted with AT&T and they said there is nothing new available for the original Focus. So, screw AT&T's ignorant staff and knuckle-dragging technical staff. I changed my registry from ATT-US to ROG-CA and immediately got both updates. I'm changing the registry back to ATT-US and happily running 8107.

So much for the "carriers can only skip one update" lie.

Shane

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Remember, this was a baseless rumor. It should never had garnered the attention that it did. shoe7400 is a troll, read any of his posts and his tone says it all. He is the one who should get a life and not post falsehoods.

Last edited:

russshoe

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Remember, this was a baseless rumor. It should never had garnered the attention that it did. shoe7400 is a troll, read his posts and this one says it all. He is the one who should get a life and not post falsehoods.
Wow I guess you told me what a super hero you are I will just bet every one worships you keep up the good work

mrwrx

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello all. This is my first post on this forum.

According to xda folks, it appears that you can still use Zune disconnect method to force the 8107 update. I've used this method in the past when updating my sprint arrive with mango before official rollout.

Has anyone tried this method?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
welcome.gif

First of all, welcome along to WPCentral mrwrx. :)

It has worked perfectly for some that don't want to wait any longer for the update.

For others though, it has worked in getting the 8107 update but they have missed firmware updates that are sometimes released as well.

It's a bit hit and miss now and not as straightforward as it used to be just updating the operating system.

It's just a chance you take and hope you don't miss any firmware updates too.