New to WP, missing some things

pantiko

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone

I've been enjoying my Lumia 800 for almost 2 months now. New to wp and really liking it. Coming from webOS, I'm missing some things, some of them quite shocking not to be found on wp. Here are some examples, hopefully they'll get addressed in future updates:

- from mail application, I can only attach pictures... For a document I need to go to the document and email it... Can't even send a song or video by any means

- can't send/share a contact directly from the contact, need to use an app for that (sounds like ios, although they can do it now)

- no Bluetooth file transfer (webOS didn't either)

- I'm not sure this is like this, but in webOS, I had for instance an app which would give me the dates for F1 races for the season... I could tell the app to sync the season calendar with my calendar creating an F1 calendar (colour of choice) with all the races and practice sessions... Same thing with soccer apps etc... Is this possible with wp?

Regarding the Lumia, I just wish battery would last at least 3 or 4 hours more... I'm barely getting 8 hours with light use, and 6 with moderate... Plus, I checked if my phone had the battery bug that prevents full charge and my phone seems to be ok, which kind of sucks because I was hopping this was all due to that and that it would be fixed with next update... But I guess my battery life will remain like it is forever

One other issue I'm having is connecting WiFi in hotels (I travel very often) where other OS don't have an issue at all: I connect to the WiFi ok, but when filing in username and password I get this message: cannot read data from cookie, please check your browser... Very, very annoying... It's only happened twice out of 15 times,but I never had that issue ever before

Thanks for your time.. I really would like to know if some of these things are planned to be fixed/included in future updates and when are those updates coming

cheers,

pantiko

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Regarding your F1 question, I use Sports Calendar, and the dev has shared with me that he cannot gain access to the Calendar in WP as he he can on other platforms. He would love to upload events but can't right now.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Current API only supports read access to the calendar. Though, I guess there is no reason why such an app couldn't just make the changes server side and let them sync down to the phone.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
perhaps they will enable direc t sync with outlook once again and you can subscribed to whatever calendar to outlook and then it will sync to the device!

pantiko

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
perhaps they will enable direc t sync with outlook once again and you can subscribed to whatever calendar to outlook and then it will sync to the device!

Yes, but it would be much easier to do it from an app within the phone... I don't know about android or ios, but it was very nice implemented in webOS... By your answers it looks like MS is not planning on allowing that... That's too bad

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
As for contact sharing. There are app "contact cards" that other phones can open.

I also have an app in the MarketPlace called QuickContactInfo

You use it to create custom messages with contact information, and it allows you to quickly send your contact info via email or text. So you can send it to people of any phone system (or no phone at all), etc. Its quite handy.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
- from mail application, I can only attach pictures... For a document I need to go to the document and email it... Can't even send a song or video by any means

What I will say on this topic is that Microsoft HAD a mobile OS that did almost everything a computer could do. This is not the direction they are going with Windows Phone. Rather, they'd have you use the cloud for stuff, like editing a document, saving it to SkyDrive, then sending a link of it to whomever. I guess the only thing I can say is that if you approach your phone like a computer, Windows Phone might not be the right OS for you. Android picked up where Windows Mobile left off, on that one.

I have a pretty strong IT background (and came from WinMo) and I actually vastly prefer the Windows Phone approach on my phone. But I also don't use it for any work stuff.

pantiko

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
As for contact sharing. There are app "contact cards" that other phones can open.

I also have an app in the MarketPlace called QuickContactInfo

You use it to create custom messages with contact information, and it allows you to quickly send your contact info via email or text. So you can send it to people of any phone system (or no phone at all), etc. Its quite handy.

Thanks enahs... That's better than nothing, but the ideal thing would be being able to send the contact with all the info from the contact itself, and have it sent in the I believe is .cvs format so that the person that receives the contact can import it right away

Still, I really appreciate all the efforts devs do so that we can do certain things not Included in the OS, but I think things like these are a MUST, they should be there by default in any OS

Is like MS said, ok I'm going to include music recognition in the OS, BUT as a trade off I'm removing contact sharing... Well, that's no way to differentiate one OS from other OSs... Give us everything

Same thing goes with email attachments... Is cool to have the skydrive way, but is it that hard to include also the standard way?... Kevm, I understand what you say, but why make the OS so restricted?... It's like we're going backwards sometimes, as with Bluetooth sharing... my old Sony Ericsson dumbphone could do that, and the 3 smartphones I've had since couldn't

Thanks for those answers guys, really enjoying this debate, learning some staff and seeing different points of view... I guess is impossible to create an OS able to make everybody happy

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks enahs... That's better than nothing, but the ideal thing would be being able to send the contact with all the info from the contact itself, and have it sent in the I believe is .cvs format so that the person that receives the contact can import it right away

Still, I really appreciate all the efforts devs do so that we can do certain things not Included in the OS, but I think things like these are a MUST, they should be there by default in any OS

Is like MS said, ok I'm going to include music recognition in the OS, BUT as a trade off I'm removing contact sharing... Well, that's no way to differentiate one OS from other OSs... Give us everything

Same thing goes with email attachments... Is cool to have the skydrive way, but is it that hard to include also the standard way?... Kevm, I understand what you say, but why make the OS so restricted?... It's like we're going backwards sometimes, as with Bluetooth sharing... my old Sony Ericsson dumbphone could do that, and the 3 smartphones I've had since couldn't

Thanks for those answers guys, really enjoying this debate, learning some staff and seeing different points of view... I guess is impossible to create an OS able to make everybody happy

It will come in time tune in Mobile World Congress apparently Microsoft has been listening to everybodys complains to make a almost perfect OS lets see what happens until then just enjoy the phone and try to utlize every feature possible so when you get new ones its like a brand new phone again.

For example I recently did this I added all WP tweeter contacts in a group and pinned that to my home screen now I know when theres a new articile on wpcentral, wmpoweruser etc its pretty dope

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
WOOT!! an other F1 FAN!!!... GO Mclaren..... red bull is going down this year!!!

BEST f1 APPS!!!!

- F1 2011 LIVE ( give you live updates as for race/qualy * if some one pas , crash , wins ,pits and also has a COUNT DOWN clock!!! for the next race/qually )

- F1 ( thats it just * F1* , great for news blog tweets related to F1)

- F1 Calendar 2012 ( track info + standings) )

PS: 48 dayz , 1hour , 41min , 53sec
TILL THE START OF THE NEW SEASON!!! WOOOOT!! CANT WAIT!!

Last edited:

pantiko

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
It will come in time tune in Mobile World Congress apparently Microsoft has been listening to everybodys complains to make a almost perfect OS lets see what happens until then just enjoy the phone and try to utlize every feature possible so when you get new ones its like a brand new phone again.

For example I recently did this I added all WP tweeter contacts in a group and pinned that to my home screen now I know when theres a new articile on wpcentral, wmpoweruser etc its pretty dope

I am enjoying the phone, seriously, is just that I can?t understand why some things are missing... things that other OSs have long ago because their users asked for them and should be a no brainer to include from the start

When is MWC? Will we be getting a nice update by then?

BTW, my OS version is 7.10.7740.16... am I up to date?

pantiko

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
WOOT!! an other F1 FAN!!!... GO Mclaren..... red bull is going down this year!!!

BEST f1 APPS!!!!

- F1 2011 LIVE ( give you live updates as for race/qualy * if some one pas , crash , wins ,pits and also has a COUNT DOWN clock!!! for the next race/qually )

- F1 ( thats it just * F1* , great for news blog tweets related to F1)

- F1 Calendar 2012 ( track info + standings) )

PS: 48 dayz , 1hour , 41min , 53sec
TILL THE START OF THE NEW SEASON!!! WOOOOT!! CANT WAIT!!

Yess, huge F1 fan here!! I like McLaren too as team, but my favorite pilot is Alonso

I have those 3 apps installed already, if only I could sync the calendar

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi pantiko, MWC starts February 27th.

MWC Website

Mobile World Congress 2012

The latest version of the WP OS is 7.10.8107.79

It is currently being rolled out so you may not have it just yet. :)

Keep trying the update phone in your Zune software now and again and you'll get it eventually. :)

What The Latest Update Includes.

Update 7.10.8107.79

On-screen keyboard. Fixes an issue to prevent the keyboard from disappearing during typing.

Email. Fixes a Google mail syncing issue.

Location. Fixes a location access issue. With this fix, the Me feature in the People Hub sends anonymous information about nearby Wi-Fi access points and cell towers to Microsoft only if you agree to allow the Check In function to access and use location information.

Security. Revokes digital certificates from DigiCert Sdn Bhd to address an encryption issue.

Email threads. Fixes an email issue related to Microsoft Exchange Server 2003. With this fix, when you reply to or forward a message, the original message is now included in your response.

Voicemail. Fixes a voicemail notification display issue that occurs on some European and Asian networks under certain conditions.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99