Odd thing T-Mo rep told me while looking at Lumia 710 today

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Odd thing a T-Mo rep told me while looking at Lumia 710 today

My wife and I went to T-Mo today so that I could show her the Lumia 710. I had been to a different T-Mo store last week to see it for myself. While speaking with the T-Mo rep today I told him I was not interested in getting a 2-yr contract. I want to buy the phone outright and go on a month-to-month plan. He said that's fine but I would lose access to roaming on other non-T-Mo towers. That I would only have access to T-Mo towers, not to any other towers that T-Mo has roaming agreements with. Is this true? I have never heard of that before.

He said that the only way I could get access on non-T-Mo towers is by going with a contract on T-mo. My BS meter shot up to 100% when he told me that. Am I right and he's wrong?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
That does sound strange. I hope there's a T-Mo customer or rep here that can straighten that out for you.

Or you could call (877) 453-1304 for T-Mobile support.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
that makes no sens! .. 50% BS lol,

strait from the T-mobile site:

Can I roam with my account?

T-Mobile HotSpot Unlimited National Annual and Month to Month customers can roam in all international and domestic roaming locations. DayPass, Pay as You Go, Prepaid, and Portable Electronics rate plans have access to thousands of locations on the T-Mobile HotSpot Network, but cannot be used at roaming locations.

basically as long as you have a MONTH TO MONTH your ok if you have day pass or pre-paid then it looks like they block you. but it doesn't make sens , its the FIRST time i hear a RTM claim that .

Last edited:

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I called the number that Winning Guy posted. I spoke with a rep named Thomas who was very nice and helpful. He confirmed that I definitely can roam to other towers while off-contract with T-Mo.

Also, Thomas offered me a great deal of $50 flat per month for unlimited minutes, unlimited text, and 2GB data. He said the $50 includes all regulatory fees and taxes. Wow!

Also to the also, the T-Mo guy at the store here in town said I could buy the Lumia 710 for $350. Thomas over the phone said I could buy it for $299.

I think it's time to say g'bye to my wife's Palm Pixi on Sprint. Hello T-Mobile.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I think because if they sell you a normal postpaid plan you "need" to sign a two year contract. I don't know if that's true or not, but that's what it seems.

So if you wanted to go non-contract, then what he was referring to was Monthly4G which is their prepaid service, which is why he said no roaming.

Now if you already have an account with T-Mobile and are out of contract, I don't see any reason why they couldn't sell you a device outright, but who knows.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and thanks to both of you, Winning and Self. I appreciate your inputs.

My BS meter is usually correct. And in this instance it was very, very correct. Thanks for the web site quote, Self.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I called the number that Winning Guy posted. I spoke with a rep named Thomas who was very nice and helpful. He confirmed that I definitely can roam to other towers while off-contract with T-Mo.

Also, Thomas offered me a great deal of $50 flat per month for unlimited minutes, unlimited text, and 2GB data. He said the $50 includes all regulatory fees and taxes. Wow!

Also to the also, the T-Mo guy at the store here in town said I could buy the Lumia 710 for $350. Thomas over the phone said I could buy it for $299.

I think it's time to say g'bye to my wife's Palm Pixi on Sprint. Hello T-Mobile.

you could of read my post and saved your self a call.. LOL .. :(

EDIT: oop Never mind i see that you thanked me now :D:D LOL!!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Awesome!!!

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

What was the plan called? Was it a Value plan? I think those need two year contracts. The way you said it makes it sound like the rep treated your questions separately. Like he answered your question that if you're off contract you can roam, but then he went ahead and offered a plan that has a two year contract.

And I think the Lumia 710 was $299 online, maybe it's an online/phone only price.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
What was the plan called? Was it a Value plan? I think those need two year contracts. The way you said it makes it sound like the rep treated your questions separately. Like he answered your question that if you're off contract you can roam, but then he went ahead and offered a plan that has a two year contract.

And I think the Lumia 710 was $299 online, maybe it's an online/phone only price.

I'm not sure what the plan was called. I am going to call back right now to get the Lumia 710 and the $50 plan. While I was on the phone I asked again to Thomas if that $50 plan applies to just one line w/o contract. He said absolutely. I hope that's the case because it's a heck of deal. I'll post back in a little bit and give you the details.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what the plan was called. I am going to call back right now to get the Lumia 710 and the $50 plan. While I was on the phone I asked again to Thomas if that $50 plan applies to just one line w/o contract. He said absolutely. I hope that's the case because it's a heck of deal. I'll post back in a little bit and give you the details.

That's an awesome plan! It would be nice if Verizon offered something like that.

Sent from my Windows7 Phone using Board Express

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok, here's the deal. I just finished the call with T-Mobile.

The $50 plan is a 4G plan. However, it is not the 2GB plan, it is the 100MB plan. I spoke with Tully, the T-Mo rep on the phone, and he said that the 4G data is throttled to about 2-5Mbps once you reach 100MB of data usage. So, you still have data at fairly good speeds...just not the full bandwidth of 4G. Not a big deal. In fact, he told me he has that very plan and can still stream Netflix even after he's being throttled.

The $50 plan is indeed for one line only. It is not a 2-line plan and it is not a 2-yr contract. It is month-to-month. Which is exactly what I wanted. I have sworn off contracts. I never want to do one ever again and I made Tully, who was a very nice and helpful guy, swear to me that the $50 plan is not a 2-yr contract deal.

Also, I mentioned this before, the $50 plan includes all regulatory fees and taxes. It's a flat $50 per month for unlimited minutes, unlimited text, and 4G speeds up to 100MB, then it's throttled to 2-5Mbps until the month is finished. Period.

What a deal.

I ordered a new Lumia 710 for $299 plus tax, free shipping, directly from Tully at T-Mobile. (T-Mo store wanted to charge $350 plus tax.) It includes the SIM kit. Once I get the phone I'll call a phone number, port my wife's Sprint number over, and sign her up on the $50 plan.

Edit: Oh, one drawback with buying an off-contract phone from T-Mo: no white phones are available. Only black.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Ok, here's the deal. I just finished the call with T-Mobile.

The $50 plan is a 4G plan. However, it is not the 2GB plan, it is the 100MB plan. I spoke with Tully, the T-Mo rep on the phone, and he said that the 4G data is throttled to about 2-5Mbps once you reach 100MB of data usage. So, you still have data at fairly good speeds...just not the full bandwidth of 4G. Not a big deal. In fact, he told me he has that very plan and can still stream Netflix even after he's being throttled.

The $50 plan is indeed for one line only. It is not a 2-line plan and it is not a 2-yr contract. It is month-to-month. Which is exactly what I wanted. I have sworn off contracts. I never want to do one ever again and I made Tully, who was a very nice and helpful guy, swear to me that the $50 plan is not a 2-yr contract deal.

Also, I mentioned this before, the $50 plan includes all regulatory fees and taxes. It's a flat $50 per month for unlimited minutes, unlimited text, and 4G speeds up to 100MB, then it's throttled to 2-5Mbps until the month is finished. Period.

What a deal.

I ordered a new Lumia 710 for $299 plus tax, free shipping, directly from Tully at T-Mobile. (T-Mo store wanted to charge $350 plus tax.) It includes the SIM kit. Once I get the phone I'll call a phone number, port my wife's Sprint number over, and sign her up on the $50 plan.

Edit: Oh, one drawback with buying an off-contract phone from T-Mo: no white phones are available. Only black.

Oh, yeah because if it was the $50 w/2GB then it would have been the Value plan. The one with 100MB of 4G is Monthly4G.

Monthly4G Prepaid Plans | Prepaid Data Plans | T-Mobile

And I always though it was throttled to EDGE, but if they throttle to 2-5Mbps then that's pretty good.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Oh, yeah because if it was the $50 w/2GB then it would have been the Value plan.

Right, which would require the 2-yr contract.

And I always though it was throttled to EDGE, but if they throttle to 2-5Mbps then that's pretty good.

Yep, not too bad. I'll quickly find out just how good/bad the throttling is. But if the T-Mo guy says he can stream Netflix even when throttled, it can't be that bad.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Yep, not too bad. I'll quickly find out just how good/bad the throttling is. But if the T-Mo guy says he can stream Netflix even when throttled, it can't be that bad.

Yeah if you can stream Netflix I think that's a pretty decent connection. If it were EDGE it'd take forever. I remember trying to watch a YouTube video on an iPhone on T-Mobile back then, and it would take longer to load the video than the length of the video itself. So a one minute long video would take me a couple minutes to load!

Sir_Josh

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
The prepaid plan you are describing is T-Mobile's $50 Monthly 4G plan, which doesn't have a contract and does include everything you said. It really is a great deal, especially if you can afford to buy for device outright. You pay for your "discounted" contract phones through your monthly payments.

In my opinion, T-Mobile's Monthly 4G plans are by far the best prepaid plans from any of the US major carriers. I'm thinking about just paying my $200 ETF to switch to Monthly 4G just for the savings alone.

Sent from my Radar 4G using Board Express

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, T-Mobile's Monthly 4G plans are by far the best prepaid plans from any of the US major carriers.

I agree, I just wish T-Mobile had better coverage, and would get better phones like the Titan, Titan II, Lumia 900, and the iPhone. And I'm sure there are people who want the Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile.

It's all because they use that darned AWS band for 3G/4G.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
The prepaid plan you are describing is T-Mobile's $50 Monthly 4G plan, which doesn't have a contract and does include everything you said. It really is a great deal, especially if you can afford to buy for device outright. You pay for your "discounted" contract phones through your monthly payments.

In my opinion, T-Mobile's Monthly 4G plans are by far the best prepaid plans from any of the US major carriers. I'm thinking about just paying my $200 ETF to switch to Monthly 4G just for the savings alone.

Sent from my Radar 4G using Board Express

Yep, it sure is a good deal. But you are right, you need to be able to buy the phone outright. Seems like you're on T-Mo already, and you want to break your contract to go monthly?

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I agree, I just wish T-Mobile had better coverage, and would get better phones like the Titan, Titan II, Lumia 900, and the iPhone. And I'm sure there are people who want the Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile.

It's all because they use that darned AWS band for 3G/4G.

Well, thankfully on the Monthly 4G plan you can roam to AT&T towers. I don't know much about the frequency band differences between AT&T and T-Mo, so I am unsure of what you mean by AWS band. Yes, it would be nice if T-Mo had more high-end phones. I personally want a Lumia 900 so badly.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Well, thankfully on the Monthly 4G plan you can roam to AT&T towers. I don't know much about the frequency band differences between AT&T and T-Mo, so I am unsure of what you mean by AWS band. Yes, it would be nice if T-Mo had more high-end phones. I personally want a Lumia 900 so badly.

Well in short, AT&T uses 850 and 1900 for their 3G bands, and T-Mobile uses 1700/2100 as a pair, and those two bands are labeled AWS.

Since most devices are either triband or quadband 3G devices, what usually happens is if a device is made for AT&T, it'll have 850/1900/2100 or like the iPhone, 850/900/1900/2100. As a result, these devices are incompatible with T-Mobile's 3G.

See, if T-Mobile had 850 or 1900 or 2100 for their 3G, we'd be able to use the iPhone, Lumia 900, HTC Titan series, and many other phones on their 3G network, but since they use AWS (1700/2100) we're stuck with either a good device and only EDGE (2G) on T-Mobile or whatever devices are specifically designed for T-Mobile and have those 1700/2100 3G frequencies.

This is why I'm saying T-Mobile needs to get manufacturers to make high end devices for them, but they haven't been doing that. All they've gotten is the Lumia 710 and HTC Radar. No iPhone 4S, no Galaxy Nexus, no Lumia 900, no HTC Titan II. It really disappoints me, and that's why I've left for the time being.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99