Odd thing T-Mo rep told me while looking at Lumia 710 today

Ohgeez10

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Right, which would require the 2-yr contract.

Yep, not too bad. I'll quickly find out just how good/bad the throttling is. But if the T-Mo guy says he can stream Netflix even when throttled, it can't be that bad.
I'm a former TMO rep.

As for data speeds after that 100 mb....trust me on this....you are not going to be able to stream netflix or let alone anything on youtube.

I can't tell you how many times I had customers come into the store complaining about how they can't even get onto Facebook or if they do.....it takes forever....and I as soon as I get into their account and notice they have been throttle back.....they complain like crazy.

I'm in Chicago and we have great speeds here and being throttled back here....its slow. At times it would seem even slower than EDGE.

Good luck though. If it doesn't work out at 100mb you could go up $10 more a month and get 2gig plan.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
T-Mobile 2G isn't bad. If you are just looking at news sites, it's fine. I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile for a while when I had my Treo Pro and the 2G worked ok.

Pentaband phones, like my Nokia N8, works on either AT&T or T-Mobile for 3G.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I am in a relatively poor reception area with AT&T, so I usually get about 2.5 mbps DL speeds.
I use WiFi a decent amount, both at work and at home, and don't do any long-video streaming such as Netflix.
My typical monthly data usage is about 2.1 GBs.
I do not know how long my sanity would last using the above described data plan.

Just sayin'...

Sent from my Focus S using Board Express

Last edited:

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
American 710 prospective buyers, you are getting ripped off by tmo! Rogers in Canada will be selling the 710 for $255 off contract, and they will carrier unlock it for you in store for an additional $30 = $285 unlocked and off-contract!

Also, rumor is Rogers will be getting ALL the colors!

Last edited:

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile 2G isn't bad. If you are just looking at news sites, it's fine. I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile for a while when I had my Treo Pro and the 2G worked ok.

Pentaband phones, like my Nokia N8, works on either AT&T or T-Mobile for 3G.

Lol not for me, I gave up on iPhone and T-Mobile because of EDGE. Pages took at least 30 seconds to load, usually longer.

Yup, the N8 is one of those few phones that has pentaband. Maybe the next iPhone will have pentaband 3G so it can be used on T-Mobile.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If the Lumia series ends up being a huge success, I wonder if Nokia would make pentaband versions that aren't tied to a carrier. Would be nice.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
If the Lumia series ends up being a huge success, I wonder if Nokia would make pentaband versions that aren't tied to a carrier. Would be nice.

It would be nice, but I sort of doubt that unless Nokia is making their own unlocked versions. Because if AT&T had a say, I don't think they want a phone they're selling to work with their competitor.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm a former TMO rep.

As for data speeds after that 100 mb....trust me on this....you are not going to be able to stream netflix or let alone anything on youtube.

I can't tell you how many times I had customers come into the store complaining about how they can't even get onto Facebook or if they do.....it takes forever....and I as soon as I get into their account and notice they have been throttle back.....they complain like crazy.

I'm in Chicago and we have great speeds here and being throttled back here....its slow. At times it would seem even slower than EDGE.

Good luck though. If it doesn't work out at 100mb you could go up $10 more a month and get 2gig plan.

Well, doggone it, you're ruining my day! :p Darn it. Guess I'll have to go the $60 plan route after all. Ah well, it's still cheaper than what we have now (Sprint) in the long run. Thanks for your input, even though I don't like it! Haha, you know what I mean. It's nice to see former/current T-Mo folks posting here.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
American 710 prospective buyers, you are getting ripped off by tmo! Rogers in Canada will be selling the 710 for $255 off contract, and they will carrier unlock it for you in store for an additional $30 = $285 unlocked and off-contract!

Also, rumor is Rogers will be getting ALL the colors!

I know. But I have two choices: Ebay or T-Mo. Ebay has the phones for about the same price as T-Mo does, but I trust T-Mo more...wouldn't you?

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
A little update. When I ordered the Lumia 710 from T-Mo directly, they only had the black phone available off-contract. My wife wanted a white 710. Last night I was on eBay and found a new, white 710 for $290. No tax, free ship. So we're going to send the black one back to T-Mo for a full refund ($325). I hope to receive the white 710 on Friday or Saturday.

Also, regarding roaming to AT&T towers while on T-Mo, the store rep was partially right. You can't roam to other carriers' towers while on the prepay minutes plan. Prepay is when you buy cards that contain 500 minutes or 1000 minutes or whatever. The monthly plans can roam with no restrictions, as we have verified in an earlier post. So the store rep was correct saying I couldn't roam when not on contract, but he was incorrect in saying I couldn't roam while on the monthly plans. You just can't roam on the prepaid plans.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It would be nice, but I sort of doubt that unless Nokia is making their own unlocked versions. Because if AT&T had a say, I don't think they want a phone they're selling to work with their competitor.

Latest news is that the 710 available in Canada that can run on WIND is pentaband. Woot!

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
You can certainly use your cell phone on other carriers and are not bound to T-mobile. Just buy and unlocked phone (suggestion: retailer online? Is also cheaper.) and every carrier is an option to use. I'm not sure about LTE. This technology is not available yet in Europe.

Willem
the Netherlands.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
OK, a little update. I activated my wife's Lumia 710 on T-Mobile today on the $50 Monthly 4G plan. You know, the one that is supposed to have all the taxes already rolled into it so you just pay $50 flat a month?

Yeah, about those taxes. They're not rolled into the $50. It's $50 + Tax monthly. I was told by four different T-Mobile sales reps at 877-453-1304 that the Monthly 4G plans have taxes already included, so I'd just pay $50 a month and that's it. The names of these reps are Thomas, Tully, Jeri, and Jared.

And just a moment ago I called Kevin at that sales number and he again said the $50 plan includes tax. BS!

I am beyond PO'd. The whole reason I switched to T-Mobile is because I was going to save considerable money based on the flat rate of $50 a month. Well, at least I am not on contract. What a shame, T-Mo, in all likelihood you lost a customer in under 3 hours of service with you. Bravo.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Latest news is that the 710 available in Canada that can run on WIND is pentaband. Woot!

They won't sell it through a carrier in the US. You;ll have to buy it through one of the reliable importers.

There has been discussion that AT&T wouldn't agree to sell Nokia WP phones if they continued to sell unbranded/unlocked phones in the U.S. We had a Nokia store in Chicago on Michigan Ave until about a year and a half ago.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
OK, a little update. I activated my wife's Lumia 710 on T-Mobile today on the $50 Monthly 4G plan. You know, the one that is supposed to have all the taxes already rolled into it so you just pay $50 flat a month?

Yeah, about those taxes. They're not rolled into the $50. It's $50 + Tax monthly. I was told by four different T-Mobile sales reps at 877-453-1304 that the Monthly 4G plans have taxes already included, so I'd just pay $50 a month and that's it. The names of these reps are Thomas, Tully, Jeri, and Jared.

And just a moment ago I called Kevin at that sales number and he again said the $50 plan includes tax. BS!

I am beyond PO'd. The whole reason I switched to T-Mobile is because I was going to save considerable money based on the flat rate of $50 a month. Well, at least I am not on contract. What a shame, T-Mo, in all likelihood you lost a customer in under 3 hours of service with you. Bravo.

I hear what you are saying and understand why you are upset, but $50 a month plus taxes is still a really good price. Who's cheaper than that? Cricket maybe? My Wife has T-Mobile and I think it's $69 a month and with taxes it comes out to $80 something.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I hear what you are saying and understand why you are upset, but $50 a month plus taxes is still a really good price. Who's cheaper than that? Cricket maybe? My Wife has T-Mobile and I think it's $69 a month and with taxes it comes out to $80 something.

I know. T-Mobile is the bargain carrier for sure. I'm calmed down now. I'm still frustrated that the T-Mo sales staff gives out completely false information that I based my decision upon. And with the ease of access to T-Mo refill cards on eBay and Calling Mart, I'm actually going to spend less than I would have if T-Mo's plans really did include tax already. Whew...boy I was mad earlier today.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
How'd you get taxed? I think if you buy the refill on Calling Mart you won't get taxed.

I got taxed because I purchased a $50 refill through T-Mo's website. We activated my wife's phone and started the porting process this morning. At that time her account had $0 on it and thus she was unable to use the Lumia on T-Mo. So I hopped online and logged into her T-Mo account and bought the $50 refill for Monthly 4G.

I regret I didn't read fully about how Calling Mart works. If I had done that I would have just gone through CM and not paid any taxes and not lost my temper. Speaking of CM, please PM me your email address so I can put you down as my referral. I understand you'll get some credit that way. Thanks for reminding me of Calling Mart, it's a really good deal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro