facebook chat

rpm5101

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I do, but I never once thought of how it was affecting battery life. From now on, I will keep it off unless I need it.

So, thank you!

Zumanity

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
In the most simplest terms, your Data connection needs to be on to use the Facebook chat (when away from Wifi of course).

This would incur usage from your data, which does use more battery to function. But of course, it's just connecting to Facebook to retrieve your contact list and chat, so its a VERY SMALL use of battery life.

It should not be an issue, unless you are on it for a very long time. Maybe keeping it off until you're on WiFi would be better.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
When Data is turned on, your phone is always connected to Microsoft's servers, whether or not Facebook chat is turned. That's how they push things to you. Mail, messaging and data through third party apps. So turning Facebook chat off when not in use would change nothing with regard to battery. And even when using it, drains no more than using any other app with the screen turned on.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Mango came out before the chat and messenging became one, so im guessing that's why offline messaging isn't supported. Wouldn't be surprised to see it fixed in a future update.

For now I just have to use the fb app

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Actually I'm not sure about that one. I could have sworn I've done it once or twice, but most recently I was not able to. (I've only had my phone for a couple days).
This is something I thought Microsoft would tackle, by implementing Facebook messages and chat together in the Messaging app. Should that person be offline then the message would simply be sent as a message instead of a chat entry.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
This is something I thought Microsoft would tackle, by implementing Facebook messages and chat together in the Messaging app. Should that person be offline then the message would simply be sent as a message instead of a chat entry.

That's exactly what I want to see.

Though actually it's not that I want to send messages to people offline, it's that I want to send a message to people who are using Facebook on their smartphone. But what happens is Facebook shows them as "mobile" but Windows Phone/Windows Live Messenger reads Facebook contacts that are mobile as offline, so I can't send them any messages at all.

M

mkr10001

In the most simplest terms, your Data connection needs to be on to use the Facebook chat (when away from Wifi of course).

This would incur usage from your data, which does use more battery to function. But of course, it's just connecting to Facebook to retrieve your contact list and chat, so its a VERY SMALL use of battery life.

It should not be an issue, unless you are on it for a very long time. Maybe keeping it off until you're on WiFi would be better.

Doesn't matter what it's retrieving, if it's connected it will use battery.

When Data is turned on, your phone is always connected to Microsoft's servers, whether or not Facebook chat is turned. That's how they push things to you. Mail, messaging and data through third party apps. So turning Facebook chat off when not in use would change nothing with regard to battery. And even when using it, drains no more than using any other app with the screen turned on.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Is it? Always on connected to Microsoft? That doesn't sound right...

M

mkr10001

Well how else is it supposed to work? Because I think that's also how Apple does their push.

I thought it connected every now and then, I heard 15 minutes.

I would quite like to turn this off though. I like the me tile but I don't need it updating all the time. Just when I go into it.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I thought it connected every now and then, I heard 15 minutes.

I would quite like to turn this off though. I like the me tile but I don't need it updating all the time. Just when I go into it.

Well that's not push then. If something refreshes after a certain amount of time, that's a pull.

Push leaves a connection on so that Microsoft's servers can push notifications and updates to your phone, rather than your phone pulling info from them every 15, 30, or whatever minutes.

I think the simplest way is think of how the phone on a cell phone works. When it's on, it's connected to a tower regardless of whether you're having a call or not right? But being on a call drains more battery than your phone just being on standby. Same thing with push, it leaves a connection open even when it's not being used so that notifications can be pushed to the phone when needed without severely affecting battery life.

And I think turning battery saver on turns off push, but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone can comment on that?

ilsonfan

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Well that's not push then. If something refreshes after a certain amount of time, that's a pull.

Push leaves a connection on so that Microsoft's servers can push notifications and updates to your phone, rather than your phone pulling info from them every 15, 30, or whatever minutes.

I think the simplest way is think of how the phone on a cell phone works. When it's on, it's connected to a tower regardless of whether you're having a call or not right? But being on a call drains more battery than your phone just being on standby. Same thing with push, it leaves a connection open even when it's not being used so that notifications can be pushed to the phone when needed without severely affecting battery life.

And I think turning battery saver on turns off push, but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone can comment on that?
Yep, battery saver does turn off push once it comes into effect

M

mkr10001

Yeah I didn't realise it actually was push. I'm sure I read somewhere it updates every now and then. I'd rather have pull than push .....unless Nokia/MS sort out this lumia battery fiasco....then it should be OK.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb