facebook chat

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
When Data is turned on, your phone is always connected to Microsoft's servers, whether or not Facebook chat is turned. That's how they push things to you. Mail, messaging and data through third party apps. So turning Facebook chat off when not in use would change nothing with regard to battery. And even when using it, drains no more than using any other app with the screen turned on.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

This is incorrect info. Lol.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

angelus984

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm new to WP7, just got it on my HTC HD2 in dual boot with ICS...
The thing I miss the most on WP7 Mango is Facebook Messaging, I don't care for browsing the facebook page, but I need Messaging. Like they have on Android or iOS...
So I can send someone message even if they are offline, and read what we have talked about when ever I want. I don't know why didn't they integrated it into the SMS app on WP7, or if they did, how to get it? thank you

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm new to WP7, just got it on my HTC HD2 in dual boot with ICS...
The thing I miss the most on WP7 Mango is Facebook Messaging, I don't care for browsing the facebook page, but I need Messaging. Like they have on Android or iOS...
So I can send someone message even if they are offline, and read what we have talked about when ever I want. I don't know why didn't they integrated it into the SMS app on WP7, or if they did, how to get it? thank you

Can't, it's chat only. Unless you're willing to try the Facebook app.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
This is incorrect info. Lol.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Okay.

When Data is turned on, your phone is always connected to Microsoft's servers, whether or not Facebook chat is turned. That's how they push things to you. Mail, messaging and data through third party apps. So turning Facebook chat off when not in use would change nothing with regard to battery. And even when using it, drains no more than using any other app with the screen turned on.

Mail/Calendar/Contacts comes in through Microsoft ActiveSync, which is a Quasi-Push protocol. It doesn't come from the Live Servers the way Windows Live and Facebook Data comes from the servers. The two cannot be grouped together. Google can be Sync'd via ActiveSync as well. Only difference is the OS hooks up your main Windows Live account automatically on setup. Windows Live and Facebook Data are not pushed to your Windows Phone. It's polled by a background task. That is why the People Hub has to refresh every single time you open it. Me Hub is the same way.

Secondly, if you actually chat on Facebook, turning it off will save battery because your phone won't get those IMs pushed to it. Everytime you send an IM or someone sends you an IM, the phone wakes up the Cell Radio to send or recieve that data. That uses battery. The same thing can happen over busy email accounts hooked up via ActiveSync, BTW, because it works similarly (it's not a true push protocol like Blackberries, and that's why busy execs like Blackberries they get great battery life even if you are a busy communicator (BBM, BIS/BES Email Accounts, etc.)).

He's wrong about it not draining anymore than any other app. Apps that use the Cell Radio to transmit data drain more battery than apps that do not. That's not an assumption, that's a fact. Cell Radios are probably the most power hungry components in a smartphone, perhaps behind the GPS when it's in use. That is why a PMP with a small battery has better battery life than almost equivalent phone hardware with a bigger battery (iTouch 4 vs. iPhone 4, for example) but a Cell Radio (even if the GPS/Location Services is turned off). They don't have Cell Radios and are limited to WiFi.

This is easily seen by noticing the disparity in phone uptime when chatting on WiFi as opposed to 3G. The phone dies extremely fast when you're using WLM/FBC over 3G as opposed to WiFi.

I almost always turn off the IM features I can when my phone is off of WiFi, cause if I use it that way it won't last 8 hours off the battery. I get better battery life Tethering my iTouch ALL DAY and chatting on that, than using my WP7 device to do all the smartphone stuff. I basically text and talk on it only, because of that.

The way the background tasks, etc. are implemented does give this platform amazing standby times, though. Can prolly go two days sleeping off the charger easily. But the in-use time suffers quite a bit for some reason and it's too locked down for me to try to troubleshoot the issue further. Not worth the effort.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon