Bing Vision Barcode Reading Now UK Enabled

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Just sharing that barcode reading in Bing Vision is now available for books CD's and DVD's in the UK.

Previously to get this working you had to set Internet Explorers browser and search language to English US, you can now leave it at English UK.

Nice to see it enabled for the UK now. :)

Bit worried that my Walkers Sensation Thai Sweet Chilli crisps cost ?3.59 or ?27.14 when in fact they cost me 69p in Morrisons. :lol:

M

mkr10001

Thanks for that. Doesn't seem to be working for covers yet...hopefully it's on the way..fingers crossed

M

mkr10001

Oh. Just tried a DVD and that worked...must just be games that aren't working

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes translation works great. Clever old Windows Phone. :D

3 Xbox games barcodes worked and cheapest price was Tesco and Ebay which was in fact correct.

I'm impressed.

M

mkr10001

Nice, I got it working with barcodes, just not covers. Pretty good though.

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I was messing around with my scanning earlier and noticed that it says I can scan book covers etc where a few days ago it was only QR and MS codes. Can't get it to work yet but I'm curious if this is an error since I'm in NZ and my phone is a European unlocked version from Hong Kong.

EDIT: It works :)

Last edited:

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
You don't half like to complicate things boss.king :p

In New Zealand, a European phone bought in Hong Kong. :lol:

You have it working OK I see though, great. :cool:

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Do people find the Ciao site any good? I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious, but if I scan a recent DVD or CD, the Ciao site only shows one or two results; most of the times either a link to eBay or Amazon. How does this even compare to the US setup?

If I set my browser region to US and scan something, I can then look at the details of the movie/CD and although it gives the prices for American stores, it is easy enough to pick a comparison app (e.g. ShopSavvy) from a list which is part of the search results. This method will show me a lot more results with a more wider choice of prices.

Is there something I'm missing?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Ciao is very poor I agree, but at least it's a start of the UK service for Bing Vision.

I'm sure it'll improve. I don't think you're missing a thing. :)

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
How are people finding this service to work with covers? I've had no issues with barcodes but covers (DVD and book) still have no effect.

As WeeBear pointed out, my situation is a little unique, so that may be why, but I'm curious to see how other people are finding it

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes