Migrate to new phone

rsuter

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone..

I bought a new windows phone and want to migrate all my data (app data, save games, sms, configs, ...) to my new phone... Any idea how to do this?

Thanks.
Rico

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately there's no way to backup your game saves, configs or sms's without developer unlocking your phone and using specific apps to do the backups.

All you can do is reinstall your apps and games and set up everything manually again on your new phone.

Your contacts and apps will all be listed on windowsphone.com when you sign in.

You can reinstall your apps from there too.

I'm assuming that your previous phone was another windows phone ?

rsuter

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I currently have a Omnia 7 and will switch to Lumia 800... And this is very disappointing. I don't understand why a company like MS (with that big amount of menpower) can't create this feature... I think it is essential. What if your phone breaks and you get a new one from your carrier (warranty). Or my case!?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I had to start all my games again when switching from my Omnia 7 to my HTC Titan.

Very annoying indeed, but untill a complete backup utility arrives there's not a lot you can do. :(

ALborntoride

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Same here when my Focus and i had to get another. Thank goodness for warranties but it still took 2 phones before I got one that worked. I had to download all my apps again and set up emails but at least all my contacts were saved to Windows live.

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
If you synced your phone thru Zune and was keeping your contacts on Windows live, register the new phone in Zune and name it while unregistering the old phone and everything should be reinstalled as if nothing was out of place

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Zune only backs up apps, photo's, music and videos though kg4icg, all sms message, app settings, and game saves will be lost.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Your gamer score and achievements are yes, but not your game saves, any games installed on the new phone have to be played from the start again.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Zune only backs up apps, photo's, music and videos though kg4icg, all sms message, app settings, and game saves will be lost.

It's hard to believe that in 2012 we still have no way to back up text messages. Does any platform do this? The only one I know of is webOS, but then you have to do it all from Preware which is not something a normal user would access.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes