02-18-2012 04:37 AM
90 1234
tools
    You guys do know right its like formatting a PC you can formatt you PC to run Windows 8 and that will run the Windows 8 kernel or formatt it to run Android or Linux and they both use different Kernels.

WP8 will probably reformat your phone to run the new kernel I am sure all devices are Apollo compatible Microsoft isn't that dumb they have 1% marketshare if they decide Apollo is for Apollo devices that means its another big uphill battle for them.

Apollo is compatible I don't see why it cant be. With resolutions, dual core etc I bet they just add hardware tiers.
    02-03-2012 07:32 PM
    I wouldn't put to much in to what you read that isn't official. Up till this week we didn't even have any details about Apollo. Hardware will become dated does that mean all current WP7 devices wont make the WP8 cut could be but I doubt it and I would bet that even Microsoft hasn't decided what will and wont happen. When Mango came out Developers were told that if they loaded the developers version of Mango on there device they would have to restore to NoDo before they could get the official version. This is what we were told up and until the week of the update when low and behold we got the official update without having to restore. I know we are talking a kernel change here I understand the difference so don't point that finger at me.

Let me ask you this if I buy the Lumia 900 which I fully intend to do then I find out it wont be updated to WP8 is my Lumia now a lesser device...? I don't think so its still the killer Lumia 900 that I got the day I bought it. Wait if you want but technology is always changing the next greatest thing is just around the corner. I say get what you want when you have the money enjoy it while you can but start saving pennies now so your ready when you see the next great device you want.
    5tephen, Reflexx, palandri and 1 others like this.
    02-03-2012 08:18 PM
    If WP8 isn't out until the early part of next year, I'll still be getting the 910 (running Tango) if it's released by May.

No one is being cheated, IMO. WP7 will still be app compatible and running as smoothly as ever. It's just, eventually, things have to move on. If I have the 910 for a year and miss the first batch of Win 8 phones, it'll only means that I'll have an even better Win 8 phone come upgrade time.
    Ditto, I agree. I plan on getting two 910's One for me and my wife to replace our Nokia N8's.
    02-03-2012 09:33 PM
    speedtouch,

The term is 'Osborne'

If memory serves me correctly the term/phrase came from early in the PC history when the maker of the Osborne computer (Adam Osbourne) which was a very popular machine at the time previewed several machines that were superior to the existing 'Osbourne 1'

Sales of the Osbourne 1 tanked as everyone waited for the new machines to come out, this caused the company to fold before the new machine came out.
    Yep, I owned two of them. The Osborne 2 was an interesting machine, but at the time I was quite satisfied with what I had. All 64k of it. They started hyping the new model before they had figured out how they could pay for it. Not a good plan. Sold both machines on eBay last year. One still worked perfectly. Other only had a broken pin on the kb connector. Not bad for almost 30 years.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    02-03-2012 10:21 PM
    I wouldn't put to much in to what you read that isn't official. Up till this week we didn't even have any details about Apollo. Hardware will become dated does that mean all current WP7 devices wont make the WP8 cut could be but I doubt it and I would bet that even Microsoft hasn't decided what will and wont happen. When Mango came out Developers were told that if they loaded the developers version of Mango on there device they would have to restore to NoDo before they could get the official version. This is what we were told up and until the week of the update when low and behold we got the official update without having to restore. I know we are talking a kernel change here I understand the difference so don't point that finger at me.

Let me ask you this if I buy the Lumia 900 which I fully intend to do then I find out it wont be updated to WP8 is my Lumia now a lesser device...? I don't think so its still the killer Lumia 900 that I got the day I bought it. Wait if you want but technology is always changing the next greatest thing is just around the corner. I say get what you want when you have the money enjoy it while you can but start saving pennies now so your ready when you see the next great device you want.
    Exactly! I agree 100%. That is why I am getting the 710 for free and I will save my pennies for the next- next generation of windows phone.
    02-03-2012 11:11 PM
    Even if I do not get the Apollo upgrade (which I think I will) I will still have an awesome windows phone. Have you seen this comparison?

Ice Cream Sandwich vs. Mango - Web Browser
    Last edited by GazooAz; 02-03-2012 at 11:18 PM. Reason: missspell
    02-03-2012 11:17 PM
    I say get what you want when you have the money enjoy it while you can but start saving pennies now so your ready when you see the next great device you want.
    That is what Apple does to milk its fanboys. And it's no secret how much people hate them for that. Microsoft is loved because they always make their software backwards compatible. It would be a shame if they are inspired by Apple in this stupidity.
    02-04-2012 12:42 AM
    The most ridiculous part so far is that we are having a discussion based on a rumor started by a user on Reddit.

The user is a Google troll: overview for technopwn

And FYI, the user refers to Microsoft fanboys as "astroturfers"

To make matter worse, we have more junk from Eldar Murtazin (who has the credibility of The National Inquirer): http://www.motoringcrunch.com/news/m...upgrade-apollo

The only (mostly) reliable information about Apollo we know about so far came from Pocketnow/Paul Thurrott. The fact is that we know very little about Apollo and everything else is speculation.
    Last edited by illegaloperation; 02-04-2012 at 02:00 AM.
    02-04-2012 01:19 AM
    Just pre-ordered 5 Lumia 900's today. You can't just keep waiting and waiting, enjoy a phone now and when it's time for an upgrade something newer will be available. This is no different with Android even, ICS is out and yet people are buying tons and tons of Android phones with Gingerbread on them. And Android already has a pretty bad track record with getting updates.
    02-04-2012 03:15 AM
    So Microsoft is busy working on Tango which will bring WP7 to lower spec devices, optimize the code etc... only to abandon them? No the point is to further optimize WP so it will work well into the future.

Apollo will come to all WP devices. The kernel change, if true won't change anything. WinCE and WinNT already have a lot in common and with WinNT coming to ARM that will only be closer. The point is to make it easier for apps to be on both Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, by sharing code. Don't think they will throw away the code from WP7, its actually coming to Windows 8. Nothing runs native on WP7, its all thru Silverlight or XNA. Silverlight and XNA run on Windows 7, **** the emulator is x86. Change is so native code runs without modification on either Windows 8 or Windows Phone 8.
    02-04-2012 07:58 AM
    Hi there fellow Arizonan
    02-04-2012 08:28 AM
    I think it's important to avoid over-reacting here.

First, it's unlikely we'll see the "good" Apollo phones before Q1 2013. (Just think how annoying it is today for someone who bought a Titan or Focus S last year.) That's a whole year away, folks!

Second, from a user's perspective, there are really only two things that matter in Apollo, at least initially: the larger display sizes, and support for NFC. Even larger display size isn't going to be that big a deal initially, as it will take developers time to update their code to adapt to screens of different size. (And developers will need to support the large base of smaller displays for a good long time.) NFC will help with making peripheral devices available to WP. Even then, it will take time for the devices to appear.

There's a lot of blue-sky promise about close communication between phone, tablet and PC. I just don't buy it, at least not initially. It'll be 2014 before any of this has gained much steam. If ever.

If you have a gen 1 phone now, for sure, wait a year and get an Apollo phone in Q1 2013. There's nothing out today that's such an improvement over gen 1 that it's worth breaking a contract for.

But if you don't have a WP yet, take the plunge. Because if you buy a mango phone now on a two year contract, you'll be ready to get your next phone right on schedule for WP8 phones to actually be good.
    GazooAz and snowmutt like this.
    02-04-2012 09:46 AM
    i think that first GEN phones up to the NOKIA 900 will basically become what we call * LOW END * devices for low budget clients. ( after Apollo) and any WP8 devices will become the next COOL HOT TOYS! lol. ( at 800-900$ , lol )
    I'd be ok with the 900 being "low-end" as long as the off-contract price matched... :P
    jaded skies likes this.
    02-04-2012 11:09 AM
    Wont be a problem to me if that's to happen. Buy 2-3 phones every year so they come and go. :)
    Though one of the big points of apollo was that it can reach to much more wider range of devices, meaning that Nokia and others can build cheaper mid end phone on it and the very top end Android beaters.

That hopefully also means it can easily run at least on the second generation Windows Phones.
    02-04-2012 11:22 AM
    That anyone even entertained this idea for a second needs help.

After all the talk of avoiding fragmentation, the development of Tango to bring WP to low-end devices, the massive partnership and product launches with Nokia; people honestly thought/think that they would just ditch everything they've done so far, stick the finger up at all their current, loyal customers and put out a new product altogether?

Come on. I know MS has a bit of a bad rep, but they're not well known for being utterly, mind bendingly stupid.
    02-04-2012 12:08 PM

The only (mostly) reliable information about Apollo we know about so far came from Pocketnow/Paul Thurrott. The fact is that we know very little about Apollo and everything else is speculation.
    And if you caught Windows Weekly on Twit, you'd have seen Paul "speculate" that WP7.5 devices will not be getting the upgrade to WP8.

Also, keep in mind, almost all of these leaks about Apollo are HARDWARE related, no matter how hard they try, MS cannot magically inject multi-cores, NFC, or MicroSD cards into a Gen1/2 device.
    02-04-2012 12:38 PM
    And if you caught Windows Weekly on Twit, you'd have seen Paul "speculate" that WP7.5 devices will not be getting the upgrade to WP8.

Also, keep in mind, almost all of these leaks about Apollo are HARDWARE related, no matter how hard they try, MS cannot magically inject multi-cores, NFC, or MicroSD cards into a Gen1/2 device.
    I am not concerned about the hardware as much as the software. So if current phones are going to be orphaned, OS wise, why should I move away from Android when I can be orphaned OS wise at least with better hardware? Damn shame to because the Lumia 900 was worthy of an upgrade from my Nexus One.
    02-04-2012 12:53 PM
    Current phones are not being orphaned people. You will get your Apollo update.
    snowmutt and jaded skies like this.
    02-04-2012 12:56 PM
    Current phones are not being orphaned people. You will get your Apollo update.
    All current devices will get the upgrade. Get ahold of yourselves people. Don't believe the bullcrap.
    jaded skies and snowmutt like this.
    02-04-2012 01:15 PM
    Technology moves fast. What is the latest and greatest today. Won't be the latest and greatest 6 months from now.

Myself, I am going to want a new phone every year to year and a half. I have no problem getting the Nokia 910 now and if it doesn't get the WP8 update by the end of the year, it's no big deal to me. I'll get a WP8 the next time around.
    02-04-2012 02:22 PM

Paul started his sentence with "We don't know, but my guess is..."

In addition, Tango phones are suppose to have even lower specs that do the current Windows Phones.

If the current Windows Phones cannot run Apollo, then Tango phones definitely will not be able to run Tango.
    jaded skies likes this.
    02-04-2012 02:46 PM
    The hardware is not the issue.

My 1st gen device got Mango, which added support for a front facing camera, gyroscopes and other hardware items. My phone has neither of those things.

You will get Apollo and whatever features it brings that are not tied to hardware not on your device. Simple as that.
    JamesDax likes this.
    02-04-2012 04:03 PM
    I hate that people are so selfish that they'd rather hold up progress than buy a new device. Just so their phone get an update.

Sent from my Galaxy S II
    02-04-2012 04:48 PM
    I can't wait for this rumor to die. Its about as ridiculous as the apps won't be compatible one. Releasing a phone in march (the lumia 900) that will NEVER see an upgrade would be beyond ridiculous. It'd be the end of the platform and the end of Nokia.
    snowmutt likes this.
    02-04-2012 07:17 PM
    Look, I'm HOPING, like most people, that WP7.5 will get the upgrade to WP8, but when I sift through the tea leaves I can only come to the conclusion that it won't.

Paul started his sentence with "We don't know, but my guess is..."
    Keep in mind though, time and again Mr. Thurrott has shown that he has seen documents that confirm pieces of information long before it eventually gets released or leaked through some other source. My guess is that he gets these early looks based upon the trust he has built because he keeps his mouth shut. With that in mind, when he couches a statement with "pure speculation", my guess is he's trying to say what he can't say in a deniable way.

99% of the posts I see about WP7.5 getting WP8 are nothing more than simple assertions that it will happen, that is HAS to happen. Every now and again I see an arguement against the upgrade that seem to be based upon an understanding of the different "kernels" being used between the two OS's. That kind of stuff is WAY above my head, but I don't recall seeing a "kernel" arguement that supports the upgrade.

Either way, if the 710 comes to Fido here in the Great White North, I'm jumping on it, AND I'll jump again in 6-10 months when the Apollo phones hit after that. With the kinds of prices they are rolling the Gen2/WP7.5 devices out at, even if they don't get WP8 consumers really shouldn't have much of a reason to complain. That's not to say that they won't, but I don't think they should.
    02-04-2012 10:27 PM
90 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD