Windows Phone 7.5 not to update to WP8?

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
The only (mostly) reliable information about Apollo we know about so far came from Pocketnow/Paul Thurrott. The fact is that we know very little about Apollo and everything else is speculation.

And if you caught Windows Weekly on Twit, you'd have seen Paul "speculate" that WP7.5 devices will not be getting the upgrade to WP8.

Also, keep in mind, almost all of these leaks about Apollo are HARDWARE related, no matter how hard they try, MS cannot magically inject multi-cores, NFC, or MicroSD cards into a Gen1/2 device.

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
And if you caught Windows Weekly on Twit, you'd have seen Paul "speculate" that WP7.5 devices will not be getting the upgrade to WP8.

Also, keep in mind, almost all of these leaks about Apollo are HARDWARE related, no matter how hard they try, MS cannot magically inject multi-cores, NFC, or MicroSD cards into a Gen1/2 device.

I am not concerned about the hardware as much as the software. So if current phones are going to be orphaned, OS wise, why should I move away from Android when I can be orphaned OS wise at least with better hardware? Damn shame to because the Lumia 900 was worthy of an upgrade from my Nexus One.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Technology moves fast. What is the latest and greatest today. Won't be the latest and greatest 6 months from now.

Myself, I am going to want a new phone every year to year and a half. I have no problem getting the Nokia 910 now and if it doesn't get the WP8 update by the end of the year, it's no big deal to me. I'll get a WP8 the next time around.

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site

Paul started his sentence with "We don't know, but my guess is..."

In addition, Tango phones are suppose to have even lower specs that do the current Windows Phones.

If the current Windows Phones cannot run Apollo, then Tango phones definitely will not be able to run Tango.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The hardware is not the issue.

My 1st gen device got Mango, which added support for a front facing camera, gyroscopes and other hardware items. My phone has neither of those things.

You will get Apollo and whatever features it brings that are not tied to hardware not on your device. Simple as that.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I hate that people are so selfish that they'd rather hold up progress than buy a new device. Just so their phone get an update.

Sent from my Galaxy S II

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I can't wait for this rumor to die. Its about as ridiculous as the apps won't be compatible one. Releasing a phone in march (the lumia 900) that will NEVER see an upgrade would be beyond ridiculous. It'd be the end of the platform and the end of Nokia.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Look, I'm HOPING, like most people, that WP7.5 will get the upgrade to WP8, but when I sift through the tea leaves I can only come to the conclusion that it won't.

Paul started his sentence with "We don't know, but my guess is..."

Keep in mind though, time and again Mr. Thurrott has shown that he has seen documents that confirm pieces of information long before it eventually gets released or leaked through some other source. My guess is that he gets these early looks based upon the trust he has built because he keeps his mouth shut. With that in mind, when he couches a statement with "pure speculation", my guess is he's trying to say what he can't say in a deniable way.

99% of the posts I see about WP7.5 getting WP8 are nothing more than simple assertions that it will happen, that is HAS to happen. Every now and again I see an arguement against the upgrade that seem to be based upon an understanding of the different "kernels" being used between the two OS's. That kind of stuff is WAY above my head, but I don't recall seeing a "kernel" arguement that supports the upgrade.

Either way, if the 710 comes to Fido here in the Great White North, I'm jumping on it, AND I'll jump again in 6-10 months when the Apollo phones hit after that. With the kinds of prices they are rolling the Gen2/WP7.5 devices out at, even if they don't get WP8 consumers really shouldn't have much of a reason to complain. That's not to say that they won't, but I don't think they should.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Boy, the problem with getting here on page 3 of a thread is that all that needs to be said has been. But I just want to let you all know that most rumors that are not getting the headlines are saying ALL 2nd Gen WP's will get the WP8 upgrade to some degree, and that all apps will be compatable. It is just common sense. Not only is this what Microsoft wants, (uniform upgrades to encourage users to get a WP over other OS's), but how can they get out of the single digit % sales if they don't? And worrying about apps being able to be used on WP8? Geez, the lack of apps is one of the biggest knocks on WP. Does anyone really think Microsoft is going to start all over again???

WP8 is going to be a great thing, not a bad thing. Be excited. Grab your "S", snag your Flash, get pumped for the 900, get your Titan 2 (or the Titan 1 for real cheap once the "2" comes out), or grab those Nokia's on T-Mo or your Radar. All is good.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The hardware specs being described for Apollo handsets are the additional specs that Apollo will SUPPORT NOT WHAT APOLLO REQUIRES. Do any of you people falling for these stupid rumors understand the difference? Just because Apollo will be released on 3rd Gen hardware with HD screens, NFC(some 2nd Gen devices will get this), and multicore CPUs doesn't mean that those things are requried for it to run. All current handsets will run Apollo. There is absolutly no reason why they won't.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure current windows phone devices (1st and 2nd) will be upgradeable to apollo.

As someone already said, it doesnt matter what kind of kernel. Theres been a video on youtube showing an HTC HD7 runs android gingerbread - and thats a different OS with different kernel.

While Tango will BRING SUPPORT (not require) for low requirements, and Apollo will BRING SUPPORT for high end specs as Nodo and Mango only run on specific system requirements (mid range).

Besides, remember Windows 8 will run on x86, 64 and ARM? AFAIK Windows phones are equppied with Qualcomm Snapdragon processors which is based on ARM architecture. So whatever it was I read on the reddit website is total crap. Microsoft will find a way to unite their products on any platform.

Also, its good that they've confirmed WP7 apps will work on WP8.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Now that I think about it, if a device has gone "EOA" then I could see them using that as an excuse to not have it upgrade. How many of the launch devices are still available to actually purchase from a carrier? Two maybe? Anyway I think they could still get Apollo, but if they didn't I wouldn't feel too bad if they were launch devices specifically. At some point the older models will have to be left behind, but hopefully that doesn't happen for a good while yet in order to maintain momentum. Either way I think the Lumia's and the latest batch of 1.4Ghz+ devices are definitely safe.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
What would be useful is a clear statement from Microsoft saying "All current Windows Phones will be upgradeable to Apollo", or "These devices will be upgradeable to Apollo, these will not" or whatever.

Get it out, stop the damaging rumours, job done. Otherwise, this'll rumble on and harm sales. Because if they don't, people will assume the worst precisely because they're not saying anything.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
What would be useful is a clear statement from Microsoft saying "All current Windows Phones will be upgradeable to Apollo", or "These devices will be upgradeable to Apollo, these will not" or whatever.

Get it out, stop the damaging rumours, job done. Otherwise, this'll rumble on and harm sales. Because if they don't, people will assume the worst precisely because they're not saying anything.

Agreed. Even a tweet from Joe or someone to clear this up wouldn't hurt.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Why should MS comment on stupid rumors? The percentage of potential buyers that would even hear these rumors is so small that it would have no substantial impact on sales. And the percentage of people that would even belive those rumors(though you'd think they'd know better) is even smaller.

Take a moment and think and ask yourself. What's in the Apollo OS that could possibly make in incompatible with 1st and 2nd Gen devices? If you take a deep breath and get rid of the panic I think you'll find there is NOTHING.

fogel35

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Why should MS comment on stupid rumors? The percentage of potential buyers that would even hear these rumors is so small that it would have no substantial impact on sales. And the percentage of people that would even belive those rumors(though you'd think they'd know better) is even smaller.

Take a moment and think and ask yourself. What's in the Apollo OS that could possibly make in incompatible with 1st and 2nd Gen devices? If you take a deep breath and get rid of the panic I think you'll find there is NOTHING.

Why should Microsoft comment? Well when their own evangelists like Paul Thurott hem and haw about if they will upgrade or not only adds fuel to the fire.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

Why? Because people ask their friends what to buy, and look on forums and the like. Rumours tend to keep spreading unless they get debunked. Latest market share figures show the WP segment shrank AGAIN in December. Do you really think MS can afford a rumour that could poentially lose them more sales?

It's not what I think that matters anyway - I already have a WP phone. It's what potential customers think. Customers who may not know or indeed care what 1st or 2nd gen means in relation to Windows Phone, but know enough to know what "you can't upgrade this phone" means if someone tells them it or they see it on a website.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
When I was an Android user I commonly switched what kernel I was using. I really don't think that the kernel switching is the huge nightmare you are all anticipating. All it means is that current devices will be switched to the new kernel. I could see if first gen devices didn't get the upgrade. They have already received one minor (NoDo) and one major (Mango) update and just might see another minor (Tango) update before Apollo launches. Even Apple only guarantees one update (devices launched with iOS 3 were guaranteed iOS4, iOS 4 devices guaranteed iOS 5). It would be understandable if hardware 2+ years old couldn't run Apollo when it launches. However the more powerful Mango phones should be able to run Apollo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb