Two AT&T Reps tried to talk me OUT of buying a WP

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
According to the person who was selling the phone.

Sent from my Galaxy S II

But they don't know anything about the phone. They just know it's not Android. And at one of the AT&T stores I visited, they were still talking about pre-nodo phones as far as I could gather. Then, after I appeared to know so much about WP7, Mango and the Titan, one of them asked if I worked for MS. As if someone who actually knows something about WP7 must work for MS. That really bothered me.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
There's also H2O Wireless thaT uses the AT&T network. They sell their SIM cards and refil cards at Best Buy: https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/pageControl.php?page=index

I wouldn't recommend them. The people on Howard Forums are having issues with them--they'll cut you off if you go over the limit on "unlimited" calls or texts and they've slowly been dropping the amount of data included on their $60 plan from 3GB to 2GB and then 1GB when I last checked. Customer service is also poor, so actually a lot of people were porting over to Red Pocket. Enough people were porting over to Red Pocket that I think they got overwhelmed with number ports that people said their ports were taking longer than usual.

If anyone's considering a prepaid service or MVNO, you might want to head over to Howard Forums and read other people's opinions before taking the plunge. I'm just trying to summarize best I can what I've read the past few months.

But they don't know anything about the phone. They just know it's not Android. And at one of the AT&T stores I visited, they were still talking about pre-nodo phones as far as I could gather. Then, after I appeared to know so much about WP7, Mango and the Titan, one of them asked if I worked for MS. As if someone who actually knows something about WP7 must work for MS. That really bothered me.

On Topic: Lol, that's really annoying. So on that basis, all the sales people at carrier stores must work for Google since they always push Android.

sp3ci4lk

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Android has the phones that people want, that's the deal with Android. I find myself salivating at those sweet phones like the RAZR and the Amaze and then take a look at the Lumia 710 and shake my head in shame./hyperbole.

BUT...THEY...DON'T...EFFING...WOOOOORK...because ANDROID IS CRAP!!!

O!M!F!G!

I get liking the phones and all, but seriously....ANDROID IS CRAP!!!

Putting Android on phones like those you mentioned is like...crapping on a cracker!

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft is smart thats why in my honest opinion they should work with one carrier at a time. If the Nokia 900 was released on all carriers some representatives will pull potential consumers away from the product because they were less trained on how to sell it.

With Microsoft and Nokia working closely with T-mobile and AT&T allows them to carefully monitor sales and make sure representatives are properly trained on the platform before moving onto the next carrier.

I think thats the best approach.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft is smart thats why in my honest opinion they should work with one carrier at a time. If the Nokia 900 was released on all carriers some representatives will pull potential consumers away from the product because they were less trained on how to sell it.

With Microsoft and Nokia working closely with T-mobile and AT&T allows them to carefully monitor sales and make sure representatives are properly trained on the platform before moving onto the next carrier.

I think thats the best approach.

It kind of sucks though, because I know there's quite a number of people who are on T-Mobile but want the 900 and are not willing to go to AT&T.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Android has the phones that people want, that's the deal with Android. I find myself salivating at those sweet phones like the RAZR and the Amaze and then take a look at the Lumia 710 and shake my head in shame./hyperbole.

Personally I would be salivating at the thought of that kind of hardware running an OS that is as smooth and stable as WP7, and rather than just barely making android tolerable how that hardware will really make WP7/8 sing.

Last edited:

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I love my WP7 but there are plenty of people who think it's dead in the water. The salesman probably is one of those and thought you were the uninformed one, trying to buy a dead phone plateform.

alexblfc

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
You know, stories like this really piss me off. I'm stuck here applying for countless jobs as sales reps in orange, o2, vodafone, t-mobile, 3 etc. Yet every time i get the "You haven't had enough customer sales experience" response, which drives me insane because at the end of the day I'm 100% sure i know more about mobile phones and technology than the three people working there who ALL have iPhones (Says a lot about them). All carriers seem to care about is sales experience, not the actual ability to differentiate between OS', screen technology, processor tech, upgrade paths, new and rumoured devices etc. Really annoying when i see stories like yours, how the **** are these IDIOTS employed and I'm not?! ARRRRGHGHGH

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
You know, stories like this really piss me off. I'm stuck here applying for countless jobs as sales reps in orange, o2, vodafone, t-mobile, 3 etc. Yet every time i get the "You haven't had enough customer sales experience" response, which drives me insane because at the end of the day I'm 100% sure i know more about mobile phones and technology than the three people working there who ALL have iPhones (Says a lot about them). All carriers seem to care about is sales experience, not the actual ability to differentiate between OS', screen technology, processor tech, upgrade paths, new and rumoured devices etc. Really annoying when i see stories like yours, how the **** are these IDIOTS employed and I'm not?! ARRRRGHGHGH

One of those catch 22 situations? You need sales experience, but how can you get sales experience if no one hires you?

And I'm sorry about your situation, I honestly wonder sometimes why certain sales reps got hired when they obviously know nothing about what they're selling.

bush715

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site

I hate to say it but it is a sales job and even though you know the tech side of the job and os' etc. It is completely a sales job and that is what the company is looking at making money through sales. I have sold phones here in the US and it is the exact same way. I have also managed a third party retailer of cell phones and from experience I have hired techie people who know the phones inside and out but can't sell to save their lives. Also most consumers are mindless sheep who just say iphone when they walk in the door. So I see your issue but its hard to get by my advice get a job in sales if only for 6 months more then reapply it will do wonders

alexblfc

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I hate to say it but it is a sales job and even though you know the tech side of the job and os' etc. It is completely a sales job and that is what the company is looking at making money through sales. I have sold phones here in the US and it is the exact same way. I have also managed a third party retailer of cell phones and from experience I have hired techie people who know the phones inside and out but can't sell to save their lives. Also most consumers are mindless sheep who just say iphone when they walk in the door. So I see your issue but its hard to get by my advice get a job in sales if only for 6 months more then reapply it will do wonders

That's the problem though, i had a sales job (albeit temp contract at a food superstore) for the last three months but i still get rejected. Sometimes i go into these carrier stores and just chat to the reps for a bit. I'll pretend I'm looking to buy a new phone and its amazing how often they just go iPhone/Blackberry. Then when i query why i should go for the iPhone other than the Titan or the Galaxy Nexus i always get the same response "the iPhone is better", they can't explain why though. So i have to give them a little education and 90% of the time they end up loving my Titan and want to know more about it, so i just say "I'll tell you more, if you recommend me to your manager". Never works though :( :/

Eirenarch

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Lets look at the bright side of this! When they get those Nokia phones running the new version of Androd with those live tiles and Xbox Live integration he will recommend them to everyone.

davidkt

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
It's a great story and in the world of retail not at all unusual. I mean how often are you in a store - any store - and you KNOW the sales clerks JUST DON'T CARE? I mean, so many people are just putting in time, so they have no incentive.

CycleSlayer

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow am glad I read this post. I currently doing some extensive searching about WP7 phones, so in April i know what i will getting/not getting. I thought about the Android Phones for a long second, well I don't want one to many variations in the OS buy the manipulators and as of right now i dont like aby of them... INCLUDING YOU HP:mad:

However the WP7 phone looks the best in regards to Microsoft making the right decisions on the hardware and software. What you cant and can do to the OS i think , well it just speaks to me.

I will not be going to the Carrier Store to get my upgrade i no that much, were i live there's a little carrier store in the mall and that person should be fired also, he based the whole windows phone system including the only two manufacturers Samsung and HTC, now i dont like samsung do to the Impression being the worst phone under the pixi, however it was there OS not microsofts and there for the Focus Flash is looking better and better.:cool:

Any one have the focus flash, let me know....:D

nite732

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I went into a local store and their was a windows rep in their and she got no love. I went over and talked to her and the reps were steady pushing android even to people she was talking to sad!!!!! I did receive a free tee shirt hat and focus.

KarateDad

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Wow am glad I read this post. I currently doing some extensive searching about WP7 phones, so in April i know what i will getting/not getting. I thought about the Android Phones for a long second, well I don't want one to many variations in the OS buy the manipulators and as of right now i dont like aby of them... INCLUDING YOU HP:mad:

However the WP7 phone looks the best in regards to Microsoft making the right decisions on the hardware and software. What you cant and can do to the OS i think , well it just speaks to me.

I will not be going to the Carrier Store to get my upgrade i no that much, were i live there's a little carrier store in the mall and that person should be fired also, he based the whole windows phone system including the only two manufacturers Samsung and HTC, now i dont like samsung do to the Impression being the worst phone under the pixi, however it was there OS not microsofts and there for the Focus Flash is looking better and better.:cool:

Any one have the focus flash, let me know....:D
I have the original Samsung Focus and do really love it, even though i've had it over a year. The Flash is a bit small for my taste, but try it out, see if it works for you. I had a little trouble with the keyboard, because of my big fingers. Maybe check the Focus S.

KarateDad

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I can hear Dave Ramsey in my head with advice for you. Why don't you offer to work for a week in one of those stores for FREE. If you do a good job, at the end of the week, they hire you. If not, you leave, and they aren't out anything. I don't know that they would do it, but it would be worth asking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett