Two AT&T Reps tried to talk me OUT of buying a WP

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I avoid the stores. I learned a while ago to always pay full price and an get unbranded/unlocked phone and go on a 30 day and out contract.

I am also going to get a couple of Nokia 910's. I am sure it will be an import. I get it from one of the reputable online stores like, MobiltCityOnline, NewEgg, Amazon, eBay...etc.. whoever has the better price at the time.

Slightly off-topic, but what are the advantages of paying full retail and staying off contract? Seems like unless you want to switch carriers you aren't gaining much?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Slightly off-topic, but what are the advantages of paying full retail and staying off contract? Seems like unless you want to switch carriers you aren't gaining much?

It's an individual decision. If you're happy staying on contract and getting a discounted phone, so be it.

I have two phones, one for work and a personal phone. I have an unbranded/unlocked Nokia N8 and an unbranded/unlocked HTC Trophy.

If you get an unbranded phone, you don't get the carrier bloatware. Updates are normally quicker since they don't need carrier approval.T-Mobile gives you a discounted rate if you buy the phone outright. AT&T does not. If economics demand it, I can put my AT&T phone number on vacation for $5 a month.

I use an AT&T pay as you go SIM card on my work phone. I rarely talk on it and i buy 200 TEXT messages for $4.99 a month and 100MB of data for $15.00 a month, so the phone basically cost me $20 a month. If I go to a different employer and they have phones, I can dump either phone immediately, being on a 30 day and out contract..

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
It's an individual decision. If you're happy staying on contract and getting a discounted phone, so be it.

I have two phones, one for work and a personal phone. I have an unbranded/unlocked Nokia N8 and an unbranded/unlocked HTC Trophy.

If you get an unbranded phone, you don't get the carrier bloatware. Updates are normally quicker since they don't need carrier approval.T-Mobile gives you a discounted rate if you buy the phone outright. AT&T does not. If economics demand it, I can put my AT&T phone number on vacation for $5 a month.

I use an AT&T pay as you go SIM card on my work phone. I rarely talk on it and i buy 200 TEXT messages for $4.99 a month and 100MB of data for $15.00 a month, so the phone basically cost me $20 a month. If I go to a different employer and they have phones, I can dump either phone immediately, being on a 30 day and out contract..

Gotcha. I wouldn't mind being out of a contract, but the only carrier that can really do better than my current plan is T-Mobile, and according to their coverage map I would have poor service, especially data.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Gotcha. I wouldn't mind being out of a contract, but the only carrier that can really do better than my current plan is T-Mobile, and according to their coverage map I would have poor service, especially data.

Well, consider some of the other smaller carriers who piggyback on Sprint/Verizon/AT&T networks. Like Ting, or Boost Mobile, or Virgin Mobile. But if you're wanting to stay with WP7, none of them would work unfortunately.

There a two big advantages I see with being off-contract.

1. Absolute carrier freedom. Give any carrier the finger at any time for any reason. Then move to another carrier.

2. The ability to pick and choose the phone you want and *not* be stuck with it for two years. Who in the heck wants to be stuck with any smartphone for two years? It's painful to even think about. So, buy a phone outright, activate it, use it until you want another one. Get a new phone and sell the old one. You won't be out too much money on the first phone, really. And, the big thing is you always have the phone you want.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
....2. The ability to pick and choose the phone you want and *not* be stuck with it for two years. Who in the heck wants to be stuck with any smartphone for two years? It's painful to even think about. So, buy a phone outright, activate it, use it until you want another one. Get a new phone and sell the old one. You won't be out too much money on the first phone, really. And, the big thing is you always have the phone you want.

That's an important one that I missed. One year old phone that are taken care of sell easily on eBay. :cool:

sp3ci4lk

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe an AT&T rep said to stay away from WP because it's "buggy" and then tried to steer you toward Android (WTF?!). What is it with people and Android?! I love my WP, but I've also owned and used iPhones and Android phones, too, and Android is THE WORST. I'd be far more inclined to promote iPhone to my customers over Android; at least Apple's phones are nowhere near as buggy and glitched up as that silly green robot.

On the topic of prepaid: Boost Mobile is horrible. Lousy customer service and slow 3G at best. I've been there -- done that. The best prepaid, in my experience, is T-Mobile, which I'm currently on; however, if your coverage is gonna be spotty, I've heard Straight Talk (on the AT&T network) isn't bad -- just wish they'd get a decent WP. I have a Radar 4G, but even a Lumia 710 on Straight Talk would probably be a fantastic low-cost smartphone option.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Android has the phones that people want, that's the deal with Android. I find myself salivating at those sweet phones like the RAZR and the Amaze and then take a look at the Lumia 710 and shake my head in shame./hyperbole.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
My local AT&T store is horrid for supporting WP. So I took my business down the interstate to Champaign IL where they were open to WP, even though they were not super knowledgable on it. They wanted the sales. They let us play with the phones, asked ME questions so they could learn more about them, and generally were a fun group. Now, I ended up getting our WP's on the Saturday after Turkey Day penny sale online, but when I upgraded my two kids phones, guess where I went and whose money they got?

Glad to see you treated those sales losers exactly how they desearved. And I hope you do follow @JamesDax3 suggestion of turning them in to the district manager.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
That's an important one that I missed. One year old phone that are taken care of sell easily on eBay. :cool:
Yep. Already told my wife that she can expect me to waste a TON of money on a WP8 handset when they come out. That is why I am working real hard on getting a good case and keeping a screen protector on my "S", so I can recoup a little coin.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, consider some of the other smaller carriers who piggyback on Sprint/Verizon/AT&T networks. Like Ting, or Boost Mobile, or Virgin Mobile. But if you're wanting to stay with WP7, none of them would work unfortunately.

There a two big advantages I see with being off-contract.

1. Absolute carrier freedom. Give any carrier the finger at any time for any reason. Then move to another carrier.

2. The ability to pick and choose the phone you want and *not* be stuck with it for two years. Who in the heck wants to be stuck with any smartphone for two years? It's painful to even think about. So, buy a phone outright, activate it, use it until you want another one. Get a new phone and sell the old one. You won't be out too much money on the first phone, really. And, the big thing is you always have the phone you want.

You guys make some good points. Especially about being stuck with a phone two years. I generally get the itch at six months.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
On the topic of prepaid: Boost Mobile is horrible. Lousy customer service and slow 3G at best. I've been there -- done that. The best prepaid, in my experience, is T-Mobile, which I'm currently on; however, if your coverage is gonna be spotty, I've heard Straight Talk (on the AT&T network) isn't bad -- just wish they'd get a decent WP. I have a Radar 4G, but even a Lumia 710 on Straight Talk would probably be a fantastic low-cost smartphone option.

AT&T isn't bad here, so Straight Talk might be an option.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about AT&T, but at Verizon we don't get any money for what phone you buy. You buy the LG Enligthen running FroYo for $1, the Samsung Galaxy Nexus for $299, the Trophy for $120, we still get the same amount in comission: nothing. Our comission is paid out on contracts and accessory sales.

anonymous3498571

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
If there was a discounted monthly rate if you didnt get a subsidized phone on AT&T, I'd consider just paying full price.

But with subsidized phones, you can still sell them after 6 months to get some money towards buying a newer unsubsidized phone.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
This should put a end to the notion that.people are sales people are pushing android because they receive some type of bigger bonus.
I don't know about AT&T, but at Verizon we don't get any money for what phone you buy. You buy the LG Enligthen running FroYo for $1, the Samsung Galaxy Nexus for $299, the Trophy for $120, we still get the same amount in comission: nothing. Our comission is paid out on contracts and accessory sales.

Sent from my Galaxy S II

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
This should put a end to the notion that.people are sales people are pushing android because they receive some type of bigger bonus.

Sent from my Galaxy S II
Yeaaaaah... I don't think that was even a "notion". When a person walks in and says I want a WP and the salesperson pushes android to the point that the customer walks out, its called stupidity.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

I'm using my Titan on Straight Talk. Before that, I used the iPhone 4 on there too. I mean, technically you're not supposed to use any other phone except the one they give you, but you can take the SIM out and put it in another phone. There are a few catches though.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm using my Titan on Straight Talk. Before that, I used the iPhone 4 on there too. I mean, technically you're not supposed to use any other phone except the one they give you, but you can take the SIM out and put it in another phone. There are a few catches though.

And they would be...?

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
And they would be...?

• Customer support is terrible. As long as you don't have to deal with them you'll be okay.

• You need to buy one of their phones, but not just any, it has to be a specific model. Most people go with the E71. You activate it, then you can SIM swap, but even after you swap, you'll still need to keep that Straight Talk phone. Even though the SIM works on other phones, their system still ties your SIM to your Straight Talk phone. If someone were to activate new service using your Straight Talk phone, your SIM will deactivate. So most people just throw the E71 in a drawer.

• Unlimited data is not really unlimited. They're not telling us what the limits are, but it seems to be 2GB per month, and no more than 70MB (possibly 100MB) per day. If you get cut off for exceeding their hidden data limits, you might be able to get reinstated once, but after that, they may just cut off your entire service, no refund.

• MMS. MMS can work, but you need to change some settings. However, many Windows Phones do not let you change any MMS settings, just APN settings (you need to change APN settings also btw). My Dell Venue Pro had a diagnostic menu where I could edit MMS settings, but my HTC Titan does not. So I can MMS on my DVP, but not on my Titan. :mad:

• Might not get LTE in the future.

I think that's it. But if you're not worried about those things (I'm not) it's worth the savings.

Another alternative might be Red Pocket/Jolt Mobile. They also use the AT&T network. $60 for unlimited Talk/Text/2GB data (they actually tell you the data limit) and no buying a Nokia to activate then throw in a drawer to gather dust deal. I heard Jolt's customer service is better, but I heard Red Pocket you'll have an easier time finding discounts on refills. 3G is throttled to 1-2Mbps, though some have gotten as much as 3Mbps. AT&T prepaid coverage only, so no roaming.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786