Hey.
    I got my Lumia 800 a month ago or so, and well it had a few problems and now finally, after having sent it twice to the repair center, I got a brand new Lumia.
    Anyway, one thing that kind of bugs me is that I have to use bing, it doesn't find anything in my country and I find stuff faster by just starting the google search app.
    Thank god I have Nokia Maps, bing maps doesn't even find basic things like banks etc.
    However, someone pointed out that I should try and play around with the regional settings.
    But, I have one slight problem, I live in a German speaking country, and if I select German regional settings, it will search everything in German, but at least it finds what I'm looking for, if I use English regional settings, it doesn't find any country specific stuff, but the sites are in English.
    Google doesn't do this, is there any way of changing my search engine to google, or configure my WP somehow?

Thanks.
    02-05-2012 12:58 PM
    I think I saw a google search app in the marketplace. Or you can do what most people do and just use the browser and search via google.com
    02-05-2012 01:05 PM
    Hmm, I really hope they will allow people to change their default search engine some day, though I don't expect that even to happen.
    Guess the google app will have to do.
    02-05-2012 01:11 PM
    IMHO, i highly doubt that will ever happen. MS is trying to gain marketshare with Bing. I think what you will see is more support for more regions in the future. Just like Google, Bing will get better the more it gets used.
    02-05-2012 01:16 PM
    It is possible to change. Some carriers have changed it to Google.

Not sure how to do it manually. Perhaps a registry tweak (would require unlocking)?
    02-05-2012 02:21 PM
    It is possible to change. Some carriers have changed it to Google.

Not sure how to do it manually. Perhaps a registry tweak (would require unlocking)?
    Which carriers? Is it outside the US?
    02-05-2012 02:22 PM
    My HD7 would let me change to Google for search. But my TITAN doesn't.
    02-05-2012 02:27 PM
    My HD7 would let me change to Google for search. But my TITAN doesn't.
    HD7 on T-Mobile? Hmm.
    iamtheWP7minority likes this.
    02-05-2012 02:35 PM
    I think it's down to the network provider. With my HTC HD2 on O2, the default search provider pre-Mango was Yahoo. Following the Mango update, I could choose between Bing and Yahoo. On my factory unlocked Lumia, I have no such choice and it's set to Bing.

So the choice seems to be between Bing and anything the provider chooses. Personally, I prefer Bing anyway, so not really and issue.
    02-05-2012 03:32 PM
    Are you talking IE serach provider or system wide (as in the search button on the phone etc.)?
    02-05-2012 10:10 PM
    HD7 on T-Mobile? Hmm.
    Yes, it was only IE though. You can change it through the IE settings. I could've sworn there was a post on here about it once but I could be mistaken.
    02-05-2012 10:12 PM
    Google now provides a Google.com tile for WP that can be pinned to the start screen.

Sent from my HTC Titan using Board Express
    02-06-2012 08:35 AM
    Yah the best thing is really just to pin m.google.com to your homescreen for quick google searches.
    02-06-2012 10:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD