AT&T owners, how do you manage your data?

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
WiFi at home, WiFi at my apartment, WiFi on campus. I have never gone over 500 MB.

Granted, I check my data by dialing *3282#

bush715

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
In a new contract? How?

You have to get the original iphone because the plan needs to be activated on itunes. The sim MUST not have been used on an iphone EVER.You then choose the unlimited 2g plan with 200 texts. After activating the sim on the iphone you gave to wait around 72 hrs for it to take effect on the account. Then switch the sim to the desired sim call att you are then grandparented to that unlimited data they will then upgrade you to unlimited 3g/4g. Has bern verified on xda and by two att employees I know.

Last edited:

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
WiFi at home, WiFi at my apartment, WiFi on campus. I have never gone over 500 MB.

Granted, I check my data by dialing *3282#

That's what I do, too. Because that way it comes through as a text and you're not using any data to find out.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Wifi at home
Wifi at work

Turned wifi off on my phone. I wanted to see how much data I actually use. Discovered that I used my wifi in spurts. I'm halfway through my month and I'm only at 300 or so MBs out of 2GBs. My usage spikes depending on how I feel like using my phone. Some days are video heavy but often I'm browsing the net (I do that a lot) or using integrated services like mail, Facebook, Twitter, etc. My home just recently got actual 4G (not LTE). It's still "slow" but more than capable of handling video streaming. However, video streaming isn't too bad when I'm on regular 3G.

ccrraaiigg007

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I check by dialing *DATA# for data and *MIN# for minutes. I only use 250MB a month. Background tasks that only update the live tiles are not data hogs. they are usually 10 kb or so. as long as you don't stream video you should be fine.

bbennett40

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I stream music almost daily at work via Zune Marketplace and Tunein with no wifi access. I only have wifi at home. I use the My AT&T app to keep an eye on it. I generally bump against the 2GB cap and have to curtail my usage towards the end of the month. I was pleased to see the new plan and get another GB or only $5 rather than the $10 I was paying before. Not overly happy as I still think this is too expensive, but it's better than before for me.

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I came close to 2 GB last month but that was only cause our router crapped out a couple times.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't stream music but I really want to be able to stream the preview songs on Zune, after finding on with Bing Audio so I can't know if that's the same version and the occasional youtube video once a week.

I'm still don't know if AT&T or T-mobile grrr. What I'm sure is that my carrier needs to go. (Unless they of course improve their signal like they promise me)

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Oh, and also cause once I hit 200 GB on Cox, they throttle my speeds so I go from 15-20 MB/s to like 5-7.

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
With all that WiFi, I am surprised you use any 3G data at all.:cool:

Haha same. But when I am walking around campus and want to stream music from last.fm or something, I turn WiFi off because it keeps cutting it and out as it's trying to pick it up through different routers.

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Good God 200GB! Surprised they didn't send some reps over and smash your phone!! o_O

Sent from my Galaxy S II

No, no I meant my ISP is Cox, and once you've used 200 GB of data they throttle your speeds. Not ATT. Sorry for the confusion.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
No, no I meant my ISP is Cox, and once you've used 200 GB of data they throttle your speeds. Not ATT. Sorry for the confusion.

Haha, I'm so glad my home internet connection doesn't have a cap. Yet. I have family in Australia, and I think the providers have caps there.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
My ISP provider cap is 40GB. Most people told me I was an idiot etc... I don't even has 40GB of data in my computer and I've being with them from more than a year :D.

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Haha, I'm so glad my home internet connection doesn't have a cap. Yet. I have family in Australia, and I think the providers have caps there.

Who do you have, Time Warner? I had Time Warner before I got stationed here in Arizona, but I've honestly never had a faster internet connection than I do now. Especially not for $50 a month.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Who do you have, Time Warner? I had Time Warner before I got stationed here in Arizona, but I've honestly never had a faster internet connection than I do now. Especially not for $50 a month.

Yup, Time Warner. 20Mbps/2Mbps for $50. My friend somehow got a special deal for 30/5 for the same price. They wouldn't give it to me though. :(

What are your speeds?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6