I am curious, in general do carriers customize Windows Phone like they do Android phones?
    02-06-2012 09:30 AM
    They add their bloatware.
    02-06-2012 09:42 AM
    I guess I should have expanded a little bit more in my original question. I guess I should have asked if the customizations go any deeper than adding some apps?

Right now both my wife and I have a Galaxy S. The phones were nice until CSpire released their 2.3 update. I got fed up with it and put an ---ALPHA--- release of 4.0 on my phone and it is more stable than my wife's 2.3.
    02-06-2012 09:55 AM
    I guess I should have expanded a little bit more in my original question. I guess I should have asked if the customizations go any deeper than adding some apps?

Right now both my wife and I have a Galaxy S. The phones were nice until CSpire released their 2.3 update. I got fed up with it and put an ---ALPHA--- release of 4.0 on my phone and it is more stable than my wife's 2.3.
    I don't think it goes any deeper than just some crap/bloatware apps. My wife's T-Mo Lumia 710 had very little junk on it, actually.
    02-06-2012 10:02 AM
    All the AT&T apps on my Titan give me the option to uninstall, unlike on most Android devices.
    02-06-2012 10:14 AM
    Yeah the bloatware apps can't be uninstalled on our phones and there was a lot of it. I was already thinking of making the move over to Windows Phone. Once Windows Phone 8 comes I may not be able to resist anymore, especially if they have some nice Windows Media Center tie ins.
    02-06-2012 11:34 AM
    Att added their address book feature as part of the OS. Its using an extension model of the OS vs built in per se. Its not like android where they jam stuff in the core of the OS. All bloatware can be removed by user and none of it can be demo or shareware.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    02-06-2012 12:01 PM
    Being able to uninstall carrier bloatware is one of the less talked about benefits of Windows Phone.
    speedtouch likes this.
    02-06-2012 12:07 PM
    carrier custom ( like UI on android ) is what causes fragmentation... so NO they don't.

OEM's ( Samsung , htc ,,ect..) can add specific OEM apps and stuff , but that's it!

they cant change the UI or any of the core programing ( except NOKIA , but they dont do it )

AT&T , Sprint , Rogers , BEll ect.. w/e dont have access to the system to add things, all they can do is add like tethering , network support , bug fixes , and random apps like MY ACCOUNT or maybe a calander like on AT&T)
    02-06-2012 12:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD