The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99

View Poll Results: Are smartphones a ripoff?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I still have to have one though.

26 34.21%
  • Yes - What the **** was I thinking.

0 0%
  • No - I get stuff done with these mini-computers.

34 44.74%
  • No - How do you think I was so much time?

1 1.32%
  • Yes

2 2.63%
  • No

13 17.11%
02-19-2012 04:55 PM
44 12
tools
    I wish data (and even more so, voice) plans weren't so expensive, but I absolutely love smartphones - I have an HTC Trophy, Motorola Droid 2, and Palm Pre 2, and have a strong itch to also buy an Apple iPhone 4 and RIM Blackberry 9930. (I like spreading the mobile OS love around, though WP OS is my favorite. :) ) I had essentially NO interest in cell phones (though my LG VZ8350 was a good, simple, reliable phone for the nearly 3 years I used it) until I bought my Droid 2 in December 2010; now I'm posting on sites like Mobile Nations and reading sites like CNet, PCWorld, Engadget, BGR, and others on a daily or near-daily basis.

I guess I'd say that although my right front pocket is a little lighter, I don't think smartphones are a ripoff.
    02-09-2012 04:05 PM
    I love smartphones and.wouldn't want to use any non-smartphone. But no, they are not a necessity.
    They cost more, but you get what you pay for.
    Sent from my Galaxy S II
    aubreyq likes this.
    02-09-2012 05:40 PM
    I'm just getting to the point where I can afford a smartphone and no I dont need one so I see them as luxury; hence I view smart phones similarly too sports cars, higher end computers, expensive cloths. Your not paying for the good or service you are paying for the luxury of style, convenience, and social elitism. Boom!

On the other hand I understand that different jobs and life styles require different things. So for a lawyer or a businessman I would say that a few nice suits are a necessity where for me it would be a luxury.

Right now I think smart-phones are a luxury item for the vast majority of people and they provide services that people are willing to pay for. So no, I do not think they are a scam.

If anything anything should be labeled as a scam it should be the social trend of trendiness. I.E. People buying smart-phones(as well as other things) without any real knowledge of their device because they were fooled into thinking it would make them happy or popular or whatever.

:lol: haha and even thought I know this, part of me wants my smartphone just because of the fact that WP7.5 IS THE COOLEST! :lol:
    HeyCori likes this.
    02-09-2012 07:02 PM
    You can get a cheap smartphone at Boost Mobile :).
    02-09-2012 09:06 PM
    Data charges aside, I'm not sure I could get by without one anymore. I am constantly on the move communicating with employers via email and a smartphone allows me to do that in real time without having to be chained to an access point, so it has allowed me to be far more productive than I was several years ago.
    02-09-2012 09:40 PM
    Having a smartphone means my customers (and potential customers) can get in touch with me 24/7 via any medium of their choice (call, text, IM, Facebook, etc). To me, that's priceless.

Paying $80 a month so I can flip through a bazillion channels and still find nothing good to watch on TV: Now THAT'S a rip off!
    02-09-2012 11:22 PM
    Well if it's for work (or allows you to increase your revenue for having one) then of course the smartphone is a necessity. For everyone else it's just a "nice to have." Thing is some people tend to equate "nice to have" to "necessity."
    02-10-2012 07:27 AM
    They shouldn't be allowed to force a data plan on you. Since they can there should at least be easier movement between carriers. It all feels very unregulated and im favor of big business no the people. I hope my new company supports windows phones tho ha.

Sent from my T8788 using Board Express
    02-10-2012 08:23 AM
    I don't think the cost is a rip off. Its mighty expensive engineering all that power into a tiny device.

I also don't think data plans are a rip off. $30-$50 for unlimited data is pretty good deal considering I pay more than that for a cable TV "package", and around that for home internet that doesn't move with me.

However, the carriers DO rip you off for voice, and text/mms. My voice plan is $90 a month. Thats obsurd. Text messages cost them nothing, yet if you calculate what they charge you out, you find its thousands of dollars per MB of data. Tell me thats not messed up.

I can't wait until there is no more "voice" package. Its just simply a data package, and all calls are voip, and all messaging is done over data. 3 different data types on a phone line? go eff yourself!

I would gladly pay $80+ for "data" if that was for everything my phone did. Oh, and if AT&T ends up charging for visual voicemail on windows phones, add that to the list of ripoffs.
    Last edited by dtboos; 02-10-2012 at 09:31 AM.
    willied likes this.
    02-10-2012 09:17 AM
    Smartphone's aren't a rip off, it is the carrier plans that are a rip off. A smart phone makes it much easier to check things such as email and that without having to lug around a laptop or tablet and rely on hoping there is wifi somewhere.
    02-10-2012 01:13 PM
    It certainly means a bigger phone bill every month. Truthfully though, I find a smartphone to be a useful device to keep my life organized.
    What it comes down to though, is whether or not its a rip off.
    Once you have your first smartphone, and you see its potential. It can be difficult to go back to a simple messaging phone.
    02-10-2012 05:31 PM
    New smartphones are a ripoff. Last years model can do everything pretty much as well as new one, but a little slower. That said, I like having a new phone every few years, and I can justify paying that amount for the functionality it gives me.
    02-10-2012 06:51 PM
    All smartphones either lousy software or lousy hardware...

and then the cell phone service providers over charge for lousy service.
    Winterfang likes this.
    02-10-2012 08:16 PM
    All smartphones either lousy software or lousy hardware...

and then the cell phone service providers over charge for lousy service.
    Pretty much, but dang if I love them.
    02-10-2012 08:48 PM
    New smartphones are a ripoff. Last years model can do everything pretty much as well as new one, but a little slower. That said, I like having a new phone every few years, and I can justify paying that amount for the functionality it gives me.
    Or a lot slower in the case of Android.
    02-11-2012 08:07 AM
    Smartphones that ship with Android are a rip-off. :)
    02-11-2012 01:57 PM
    No they are not. Android is a great OS. I love wp but android is great for the customizer among us

Sent from my Radar 4G using Board Express
    02-11-2012 02:24 PM
    I recently got my wife an iphone 3g for 99 cents (with a contract renewal sure, but she needs a provider anyway..)
    I didn't think that was a ripoff- $700 would be another question entirely
    02-12-2012 08:56 AM
    Would the purpose be to take all our money?
    My sentiments exactly.

How can people afford these wildly, outrageous phone bills! I know I can't.

It may be handy at times to be able to access all the goodies you can access with them, but that comes with a pretty steep price. I guess people are easily conditioned by modern technology. Once they get you hooked, watch out. . .
    02-19-2012 04:55 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD