Are smartphones a ripoff?

sdchris

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I've had a smart phone for years and its finally starting to sink into my brain that smartphones are a giant global scam. What do you think?

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
The prices for data is a ripoff, but having a smartphone is pretty useful. I am starting to wish I could go back to Wifi only, since both my apartment and university are covered with it.

Shark87

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I place a lot of blame at the foot of carriers. And now with OSes moving towards a greater emphasis of cloud services it becomes even worse.

Inka

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
They've become a necessity, just like gas. It's a useful tool that has bailed me out on many occassions from many situations.

We may think these data plans are expensive now but I'd hate to think how expensive they're going to be when my kids are old enough for cell phones, and then in high school and college. I better start saving up!

Alas, it's the nature of the beast. I miss paying .99 cents a gallon, and $9.99 for unlimited data but I can't live without them!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
swis-army-pocket-knife1.jpg

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Given all that they can do for the price I don't think smartphones are a ripoff but the price for services are a total ripoff given what they actually cost the carriers.

the_tyrant

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
In the past few years, I have had a: blackberry 7290, palm treo 680, nokia N95, motorola q9, blackberry 8800, HP Veer, and now a LG quantum

I loved all of them

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
i don't think its a rip off FAR from it actually. , you pay for what you have. i think they should actually be MORE expensive.. lol

- Pocket PC/mac ( 200$+ )
- Internet access ( like on a PC . desktop mode) (good value$$ )
- MP3 player (200+$+ )
- Video /movie/net flex player ( good value$$ )
- game console ( good value here$$ )
- TV ( monthly value$$ )
- GPS! ( 200$+)
- its a phone ( at lease 100$ ) ( dont need a home phone account ( 20+$ a month)
- time saver ( for work on personal ) depending how much you use it $$$$ time is $$$
- Camera ( prevents buying a 100$+ camera) ( obviously doesn't replace high end cameras but for the regular client its perfect!!)

DATA PLANS:

at 30$ for 6G!!( use to be 30$ for unlimited) for data in Canada ..
95% of users average 500-700MB ,.. so data plan are FINE! ... people assume they need unlimited . only 1% of them actually do. 99% will never go over 6G. and i doubt you guys are all in the 1% ... you guys probably dont even need the data u think you do.

bottom line , its NOT a rip off , people just like to complain.
smartphones are worth what you pay .. all u have to do is simple math to see it.
like i said they are actually worth more then what you pay.

as for prices in different country, that's all related to the market. and the people you sale too. here in Canada just changing province can change your monthly bills from 0-30$ a month...

Last edited:

sdchris

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Great responses. I wish I could just get wifi only and not have to pay $25 for 400 mb of data per month.

I'm seriously thinking about crippling an old blackberry and just using it for text and phone. I find most of the apps lacking or totally useless. I think the only thing I would use in the future is skype and we haven't gotten that functionality yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes