My WP7 "Aha! Moment"

glassadam

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure we've all had that moment with our new phone when something just works perfectly and you know you made the right decision with your purchase. Here's mine:

A bit of background-- I'm a webOS refugee and a heavy ZuneHD user with a Zune Pass. I just purchased an HTC Arrive off eBay 2 weeks ago.

Anyway, I was watching a movie on Netflix tonight and as often happens when watching a movie, I heard song I was really digging and didn't know what it was. Normally in this situation I would a)fast forward to the end of the credits and look at the song list; b)search for the movie's soundtrack on the internet and do a little research; or c)try to pick up a few of the lyrics and run a search on those, hoping that the result comes up with the appropriate song.

But wait-- I remembered I now have OPTION D: grab my new phone, hit the search button, and let it identify the music for me as it's playing. What was once at best a hassle of a process that took a minimum of a few minutes and took me completely out of the movie was suddenly whittled down to just a few seconds! And, of course, because I have a Zune Pass, I was able to add that song to my collection with a just a couple more taps!

I just wanted to share this story with you guys because I was happy that what was once a time-consuming process was made easy and seamless by WP7. Maybe it's weird to get excited by something so simple and relatively minor but hey that's just how I am! :)

Feel free to share your "Aha! Moment".

Last edited:

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey there. Another webOS refugee here as well. I had no idea the Search button had so many uses. Thank you. And look, there's Bing Vision! Finally. I have always wondered where that was. I could never find it in the Marketplace so I just figured it was a sideloaded app that you could get if you unlocked your phone. Geez.

Thanks a lot!

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I know I'm on a bad roll lately but today I saw the video new video of Madonna and wanted to use Bing Audio to check it on Zune. I know it's there because I saw it before while playing with the Titan on At&T.

NO MATCHING SONGS!. That was my aha! this carrier sucks moment.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
How do you guys make this work?
My search button only opens the browser..that's the only use of this button...

You'll have to set your browser and search language to English US Dormage.

Settings / Region And Language / Browser & Search Language / English United States (Right at the bottom)

Hope that helps. Let me know if it works for you. :)

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
My aha moment was when I first got the phone. I setup my live id, figured I might as well set up my Gmail and fb, etc and then I went to start copying over my contacts from my old feature phone one at a time, only to discover they were already there!

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I wish mine went that smootly. When I set up my id, it copy every single MSN contacts, even the ones that I delete years and years and years ago. It took me an hour to sort it out XD.

valith

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I've had a few so far. First one was when I paired to my car's Bluetooth and the phone immediately asked me if I wanted to transfer my contacts over. You wouldn't believe how much more difficult that was on my BlackBerry.

Second was when my friend texted me in a rush desperately needing the price of a DVD at another store and I was able to find it in under 15 seconds using voice to text in Bing search.

glassadam

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey there. Another webOS refugee here as well. I had no idea the Search button had so many uses. Thank you. And look, there's Bing Vision! Finally. I have always wondered where that was. I could never find it in the Marketplace so I just figured it was a sideloaded app that you could get if you unlocked your phone. Geez.

Thanks a lot!
Glad I could help if even just a bit. :)

I will say that a video from last year of Joe Belfiore talking about the then-upcoming WP7 Mango update was really helpful in preparing me for some features of the OS that otherwise might have remained hidden for some time. Here's the URL:
Joe Belfiore shows off Windows Phone 7.5 - YouTube

It's a bit long but interesting and well worth a watch.

Dormage

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
You'll have to set your browser and search language to English US Dormage.

Settings / Region And Language / Browser & Search Language / English United States (Right at the bottom)

Hope that helps. Let me know if it works for you. :)

Thanks a bunch ! Works perfect :)

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Had a similar moment myself, was out in a shop and heard a song I liked, music search linking straight through to marketplace and downloaded with Zune Pass on the spot. Also highlighted the impressive speed of Vodafone's 3G :D

Ahh Lumia, how I love thee.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So I'm at work and this guy comes up to me and asks if I can identify a song on this mix CD that his friend made for him. There are no markings on the disc, completely blank, and the only thing I know is that it's the first song he needs identified and that it's a religious song. My first response was, "Uhhhh..." Then I was like, "Wait a second, BING MUSIC!" I take the CD to one of the computers in the back and let el Titan listen. Bam! It did a flawless job identifying the artist and song.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Mine is easy. Add phone number from Sms to existing contact :D Sooo complicated on other platforms.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Aha! moments eh...? mine was... taking a photo that i needed quickly then throwing it on facebook lol, then i got slapped in the face by my gf because apparently my angle was bad and had a hint of whatever was under her skirt :p...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro