My WP7 "Aha! Moment"

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
It's real useful when you receive texts while driving. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good. I have a contact named Leeann and it thinks I am saying, "lee and", so it can't find the contact.

I know TellMe knows mom and dad, but can it learn any other nicknames? If so, does anyone know how to set it up? I think it is odd that it knows those two, but yet I haven't encountered any others.

Bradley Erickson

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Heh, that can be dangerous. I wouldn't recommend leaving it always on unless you have prim and proper friends/family. :p
It tells you who the text is from and asks you if you want it to be read, to which you need to reply "read it" to have it be read to you. It works really well overall, I have found.

Bradley Erickson

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I know TellMe knows mom and dad, but can it learn any other nicknames? If so, does anyone know how to set it up? I think it is odd that it knows those two, but yet I haven't encountered any others.
There is a Nickname text box in every contact's info that needs to have an entry if it is different than what you have in the Name text box. For example, your brother's name might be "David Johnson", but if you also have "Big Bro" in the nickname box, you can then use either one when searching for him.

G_The_One

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Does System Speech need an active connection?

Go into settings - System - Speech - Scroll to the bottom and change "Read aloud incoming text messages" to "always on".

Hi. Sorry but am a bit of an-about-to-be-a-WP-newbie-when-the-Nokia-Lumia-900-comes-out. I am still using an Android device at the moment, but was a great fan of WM6.x. Does the speech system require a data connection to perform these functions like Siri does, or can it manage without one like Voice Command used to in the golden days of Windows Mobile?

Timeslicing

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi. Sorry but am a bit of an-about-to-be-a-WP-newbie-when-the-Nokia-Lumia-900-comes-out. I am still using an Android device at the moment, but was a great fan of WM6.x. Does the speech system require a data connection to perform these functions like Siri does, or can it manage without one like Voice Command used to in the golden days of Windows Mobile?

It depends what kind of voice command you are looking for. Without data/wifi connection, the phone can still handle commands like "Open <app name>" or "Call/text <contact name>" just fine.

However, if you try to compose a message with speech or "Search <phrase>", it wouldn't work as it is not connected to the TellMe service. I haven't had it try and read me a message without data connection yet, but I assume that would not work either.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

for speaking the message outloud in car it doesn't require data connection and general command works, "but" if you try to tell it you want to send a message by voice it'll let you say the message then try to connect to the server, thats when it doesn't work

im just glad it can still read it out without data though lol

Captain Primus

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi all. First post here and this thread seems like a good place to start.

Just got my Lumia 710 (amazing btw) and had a great Aha! moment this morning. Wife needed me to call the doctors quickly and i hadn't put the number into the new phone yet.

I figure quickest way to get the number is to do a quick internet search...so i hit the Bing button and begin typing. I'm coming from a Nokia N900 which has a great hardware keyboard so not used to typing on a screen yet...so i give the voice search a try and say "MyTown Surgery"....Bang it gets it straight away and comes in as top result.

Then i hit that result expecting the website...but no - it gives me a neat little selection of info about the surgery which included the phone number - i hit the number and Bang it dials the surgery.

All this took about 6 seconds - would usually have taken the best part of a minute. One of the best things was being able to get the number i needed without having to go to the actual website or even type anything - something that is going to come in useful time and time again when searching for business phone numbers. :)

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
With Bing Vision, you can copy the text from the camera and paste it into a document or email. Oh, and holding in the text field makes an easily moveable cursor. I'm coming from WebOS and didn't know what I was missing!

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
With Bing Vision, you can copy the text from the camera and paste it into a document or email. Oh, and holding in the text field makes an easily moveable cursor. I'm coming from WebOS and didn't know what I was missing!

As a webOS Refugee, I know exactly what you mean. I did not, however, know you could do what you just stated. Wow! Copy text from BV, amazing. I can't wait to try it.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

Thanks so much for this. One of my gripes with WP was not being able to accurately place the cursor. Frustated me to no end tapping on a message to try and get it right. I can't believe I missed this. I also came from webOS. I still miss it sometimes, but then I realize how fast WP is and I forget about it again. :)

paradiseware.com

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I figure quickest way to get the number is to do a quick internet search...so i hit the Bing button and begin typing. I'm coming from a Nokia N900 which has a great hardware keyboard so not used to typing on a screen yet...so i give the voice search a try and say "MyTown Surgery"....Bang it gets it straight away and comes in as top result.

I'll have to try that soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)