Get the Nokia 900 or wait for Apollo Nokia phone?

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm sitting on two iPhone 4S' (16gb & 32gb) and I plan on selling one of them when 900 comes out so I can get it to see how well I like it.

The question is with Apollo supposedly coming out next summer, is it worth picking up an unlocked Lumia 800 on ebay (preferably in white!) and waiting it out to see what Nokia releases later in the summer?

I don't want to get a phone that cant be upgraded to a new OS.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
What makes you think that a Nokia 900, or any Windows Phone for that matter, will not be upgradeable to Apollo. And when you are taking about next summer, do you mean Summer 2012. I thought Apollo was due end of year, 2012, as in Fall/Winter.

Frankly I don't give a crap about Apollo. Life is too short to worry about **** like that. I paid nearly full price for my Surround (loyalty discount) and will get the 900 (upgrade) as soon as AT&T sells me one. And if Apollo is in fact better than sliced bread, and only accessible on a new phone, I will deal with it then.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Either you want a new device now, or you're satisfied. Apollo is almost guaranteed to be 8+ months away, it is a major overhaul. If you can wait that long then you must not really want a new device that much. :p And I have seen zero reason to believe the 900 which is not even out yet will be effectively obsoleted in that short amount of time. I preordered five 900s and we're gonna enjoy the **** out of them all year while many sit by and chew fingernails with paranoia. :p

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
It depends if you don't want a 4.3inch screen and a front facing camera than go with a Lumia 800.

Lumia 800 is a great phone, great size, great build, fantastic OS and if Nokia White and Cyan colors in the states that a complete W.

If Lumia 800 only had a FFC it would be the perfect phone for me

L

lumic

Just do yourself a favour and wait till MWC in any case.

I personally think it's bonkers to go with a Lumia 900-specced device when we are fairly certain that a huge overhaul will be coming by October.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I personally think it's bonkers to go with a Lumia 900-specced device when we are fairly certain that a huge overhaul will be coming by October.

Oh that soon? :p The date has been set? Guess what will be out 8 months after that? I've played the waiting game too many times and been disappointed. What never disappoints though is knowing that no matter what, new stuff is coming. So just enjoy stuff now.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Agree with lumic in that you should wait for MWC to decide. I am hoping that there will be some discussion about Apollo there. Wasn't Mango announced at MWC last year? I would also guess that since MS is showing off Win8 on Feb 29, they'll want to tie together that, WP8, and the 360 and show how they'll blow the competition away.

Since I've seen you buy phones quite often (or at least more often than most), I would say go ahead and buy a L900. I think it will have a better camera than the 4S and I'm not certain that the L800 can say that. I also think that WP running on LTE will be ridiculously smooth and pleasant.

Gmotagi

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
IMO if we see appollo this year it will only be on one or two phones that means your choice will be severly limited. Personally I think it will be this time next year we see most of the manufacturers launching apollo devices. Buy a 900/910 (I will be) enjoy that for the year and see how you feel about WP7 (you will love it of course) then reevaluate in Q4 when things become clearer. Worst comes to worst you can sell the 900 and buy back a lesser phone.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
If you want a new phone now, get the 800 or 900. If you think you won't be able to bear it if it does turn out the 800/900 can't be upgraded to apollo, wait. The iPhone(s) will hold their value far better than either of the Nokia models, so will give you more cash should you then want to sell them and get an Apollo handset later.

If you bought an 800/900 and then sold that for an upgrade, you would basically be throwing money away for the sake of owning a phone for a few months.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
With all the people jumping out of Windows Phone (the ones that worked on it ), I'll be surprised if the 900 even comes out...

Why are all of them abandoning ship? :'(

Last edited:

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Just get it the 900 is going to be a stellar device the Apollo update rumors are just rumors. I cant wait to get my hands on a 900.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Me neither, I have my money saved an all. When the phone gets an official date I'll be going to my carrier and say my goodbyes. I'll be going to AT&T baby. I'm tired of errors and my Browser screen always being white.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
With all the people jumping out of Windows Phone (the ones that worked on it ), I'll be surprised if the 900 even comes out...

Why are all of them abandoning ship? :'(

Honestly, I've seen references to the possibility that the phone department is somehow possibly going to be rolled up into the Windows on Arm department. So it could just be internal restructuring.

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Dude, October is so freaking far away. Using that logic one might never upgrade. Come October, we'll be hearing about the next generation of Windows Phones set to come out in Spring 2013. Then you'll wait for those, and when they come around, we'll hear about the phones planned for October 2013, and so on.

Last edited:

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
If you bought an 800/900 and then sold that for an upgrade, you would basically be throwing money away for the sake of owning a phone for a few months.

I don't follow. If you buy a 900 and still decide to upgrade in October when the new phones arrive, you've simply spent the couple hundred dollars "lost" on a solid 7 months of pure enjoyment. Or, if the 900 ends up getting the Apollo update (very likely), you can laugh at all the suckers who spent 7 months longer in misery with their old and busted phone.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't follow. If you buy a 900 and still decide to upgrade in October when the new phones arrive, you've simply spent the couple hundred dollars "lost" on a solid 7 months of pure enjoyment. Or, if the 900 ends up getting the Apollo update (very likely), you can laugh at all the suckers who spent 7 months longer in misery with their old and busted phone.

Depends on your definition of value, but the OP isn't coming from a busted phone. if I had a very good phone I wouldn't consider selling it and buying a slightly different very good phone that depreciates much faster, then selling that and buying ANOTHER phone - but having to put in more money to get it because of the more rapid depreciation - a good deal. It's just burning money up in depreciation and paying top dollar for what's new twice as opposed to once. Plus you'd be looking to sell your windows phone at the precise point a lot of other people would be looking to sell theirs, leading to further price deflation.

Sure, the Lumia 800/900 is a nice phone (I should know, I have one). But bar a few OEM-specific apps it's the same OS on it as every other WP device. Unless you're a hardware nut and can't resist the polycarbonate, you're not going to get anything above and beyond what you'd get on the cheapest WP in the sense of user experience. Apollo phones, however, will almost certainly be different. Therefore that extra money might well come in handy at that time.

Sir_Josh

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I've recently been having this argument with myself. I am a Radar 4G user and im very happy wth it, but I have really been thinking a lot lately about getting the 900. I am mainly interested in the larger screen and better ffc,

I decided that I would rather hold off on the slight upgrade now and get an Apollo device that is a larger upgrade. Hopefully with multi-core CPU, NFC, and higher rez screen around 4.5. If I didn't already have a great WP7.5 device though it would be a much harder choice.

If I didn't, I would just get whatever felt right for a good price, then just enjoy it and flip it for a new device if need be later. However if you already have a good WP7.5 device, I would just hold out for a bit and see what happens.

Sent from my Radar 4G using Board Express

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
WP8 (Apollo) is too far away to be concerned with now. The only thing i really want from 2nd gen phones is a front-facing camera, but i'm not going to upgrade just for that.

My interest is in a larger screen (well Titan-size) with a Galaxy Nexus resolution (720p) since the main thing i use my phone for on the go is web browsing. That is coming with Apollo so no need for me to upgrade until then.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077