WP7 & Apps why not?

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I keep seeing apps for Iphone & Android but never for WP7 granted I, realize that WP7 is new and in the app world still a virgin. Place like Coast to Coast all show download apps for the two main stream. My thoughts are this how much will this all change this coming fall when Win8 and WP8 come out where the apps will work both on Mobile and PC/tablet. will we then start to see more apps? and didn't Microsoft miss the boat with WP7 by not having that feature integrate with Win7 more easily? It seams to me that come this fall having to purchase a new OS and Mobile device just to be able to sync my devices like they now do with the big two is rather frustrating. I think that if MS had done this from the get go that perhaps there would be more in the way of apps that are currently available. Maybe I'm wrong in this thinking.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
To be honest, i dont see Windows 8 changing anything that much with regards to WP applications. Devs wont ignore Windows 8 because of its potential install base of millions from day one but I dont think their apathy for developing for Windows phone will change much. Since the code for W8 is not 100% compatible with WP and will still require work to be used on WP some devs wont bother.

Its pretty simple now to develop for WP now but still some devs, eg Pandora are ignoring it. Could be low sales, or just the typical anti-MS feeling, but I dont see any of those changing anytime soon to change reluctant dev's stance. I think we'll see more of the opposite, WP devs getting on the W8 train but you only have to contact a few of these devs to get the feeling that they dont really care about anything other than android and ios.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Have you ever visited the WP MarketPlace?

Are you looking for real applications or games? IOS and Android will have many more games than WP.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well are marketplace is growing as fast as on other OS. so its just a matter of time that you get the ONE app you really want.

when WP8/WIN8 come out , i think we will see allot more Cross Platform/Ecosystem related apps. and the growth will continue at a amazing rate

WP is a NEW virgin OS , but are marketplace grows just as fast as other OS .. and it will continue to do so.

what make you think your gona need to have a new device for WP8?? all the signs point to being able to upgrade old devices. its not official yet , but all the clues are there.

QUOATE** It seams to me that come this fall having to purchase a new OS and Mobile device just to be able to sync my devices like they now do with the big two is rather frustrating. I think that if MS had done this from the get go that perhaps there would be more in the way of apps that are currently available. Maybe I'm wrong in this thinking. **

this doesn't make much sens. why would you have to get new device to sync?? you wont. i plan on using my current PC and Current Samsung Focus to do it all.

sure you might have to BUY the new OS for your PC .. but thats normal for MAC's like PC's

tbonenga

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
well.......

I'm on tmo. I've been using a hd7 for a year. I was so pissed off that tmo was only getting bottom of the barrel phones ( radar & Lumina ). No gyro only 8 GB below 4 inch screen. No matter how you try to spin it these are entry level phones. Well I did the unthinkable..... I bought a HTC sensation.
Pros: WiFi calling ++++++
WiFi works a lot better
screen resolution
apps, apps, apps
Cons: user experience
it's not metro
difficult to change different settings

Still I'm using my hd7. As much as o love having Hulu, HBO, etc. Microsoft needs to get high end phones out on all carriers asap instead of putting all their eggs in one basket (att). They also need to get the good (quality) apps. They need to offer money, incentives or whatever. They need to quit squeezing money from Android manufacturers and push and profit from windows phones.

Last edited:

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
"typical anti-WP feeling" doesn't exist like people think at the professional level, if companies thought they could make money they would rush in.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

E_man#CB

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
It all depends on marketshare. WP7 seems like it would have a low development cost compared to android. However, the benefit is MUCH lower due to the miniscule WP7 marketshare (I wouldn't be surprised if there was 1 WP7 device for every 35 Androids in users hands). If Windows 8 and WP8 bring the market share up enough that the benifit finally exceeds the cost of development (including training, testing, testing devices, etc)

I personally think it will do just that, for 2 reasons. First, and most important, W8 and WP8 brings the cost to develop apps for Windows Phone down (assuming the developer makes an app for windows 8 metro) since a lot of the code can be reused. Second, having the two phone, tablet, computer, and TV (Xbox) all have the same UI might make people more likely to buy into the ecosystem, increasing WP8's marketshare.

tl;dr I think WP8 and W8 will increase app quantity in the marketplace. Maybe we'll finally get a decent Read It Later app...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett