Windows Phone Questions

Spiify

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I made the switch from Verizon to T-Mobile prepaid a few months ago. Since then I have been using a flip phone. Since I like the service enough it's time to upgrade. I have been using Android devices for the past year,and it has been a love and hate situation. I'm trying to decide between going back to Android or trying Windows Phone. I'm tired of the unstableness of Android but I have some concerns with Windows Phone

1. I hear IE9 is pretty limited. My main concern you can not download files from the web. Is there a 3rd party app of browser that fixes this?

2. I'm somewhat of a gamer and I hear Windows Phone is lacking here, what are your thoughts on this?

3. I hear it is somewhat complicated to put custom ringtones and message tones on Windows Phone, is this true?

I have other questions and concerns but those are the ones I can think of right now. Thaks for replys in advance.

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
1. IE9 is it. Other browser apps are skins of IE9. With that said, I love the browser. What kind of files do you want to download? No files system in WP.
2. Not much of a gamer myself, but you have heard of XBox haven't you.
3. There are several Ringtone apps that let you download any ringtone you can find on the web. Or you can create your own on the desktop, following a couple simple rules to keep the file small (making is use less resources and improving he user experience) and then sync with your phone. No customs tones for texts/emails though. Can only choose from the 10 built-in tones.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Spiify

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
1.With Android you can download pretty mutch any file type. I would be fine with vidoes, music pictures.

2. I own a Xbox so I would say I have heard of it :)

3.Messagaing tones were my main concern. How are the built in ones?

Also just thought of another question, is there any type of e-reader app for windows phone. Seems like I may have to stick with Android but the stability issue can get annoying. Almost forgot what are the chances of the HTC Radar 4G and Nokia Lumia 710 getting Appolo. Thanks for the reply.

niyoko

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
1.With Android you can download pretty mutch any file type. I would be fine with vidoes, music pictures.

2. I own a Xbox so I would say I have heard of it :)

3.Messagaing tones were my main concern. How are the built in ones?

Also just thought of another question, is there any type of e-reader app for windows phone. Seems like I may have to stick with Android but the stability issue can get annoying. Almost forgot what are the chances of the HTC Radar 4G and Nokia Lumia 710 getting Appolo. Thanks for the reply.
1. Sorry you can not download any files from the internet in the browser, but you can stream audio and video. :)

2. Since you have an Xbox you should be right at home with at least the Xbox Live game library. There are a growing number of fun 3rd party games. I play more of those then Xbox Live games at the moment.

3. Yeah, no custom message tones, but like jimski said, it's really easy to get custom ringtones. If you want to make your own, just change the genre info to "RINGTONE" and drag and drop it to your phone.

4. Yes, there are, again, a growing number. Amazon has their Kindle app on Windows Phone, and I use an app called bookviser.

5. From what we've been told by the Windows Phone team, it looks like all phones will get Apollo. Nokia, in particular is probably key on making sure this happens for their phones, because of their partnership.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I've downloaded .pdf menus from restaurant websites, so technically you can download some files. Office docs probably, music, and pictures work too, but you can't necessarily manipulate them afterwards. For example I downloaded a zip file. In the browser I was able to open the zip, see the mp3 file in it, touch it, and play it. But it doesn't show up in the stock music hub. Pdfs will show up inside of acrobat though, so I assume you just have to find the right app to rediscovere files you've downloaded.

Spiify

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I've downloaded .pdf menus from restaurant websites, so technically you can download some files. Office docs probably, music, and pictures work too, but you can't necessarily manipulate them afterwards. For example I downloaded a zip file. In the browser I was able to open the zip, see the mp3 file in it, touch it, and play it. But it doesn't show up in the stock music hub. Pdfs will show up inside of acrobat though, so I assume you just have to find the right app to rediscovere files you've downloaded.

That is interesting as far as I knew IE9 could not download anything but I could be wrong as I never used a Windows phone. I watched a review on the Lumia 710 and the reviewer stated anything over 20mb must be downloaded over wifi on Windows Phone, is this true as I do not have a wifi connection. Next question would be would anyone even recommend a Windows Phone to person that does not have a wifi connection or pc?

Last edited:

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The over 20mb thing is possibly true, I've had some podcasts say they were too large to come down over cell. I never thought twice about it since they mostly just sync over at night via WIFI while it's plugged in charging.

You'll have to excuse my incredulity on the second part. Who would own a smartphone but not a PC (Which costs about as much) or have WIFI at home? I mean at that point I don't think it matters what smartphone you're using, life sucks for you. :p But at this time the most open platform is Android, that's just how it is. If a smartphone is all you have for a "computer" then I'd have to recommend Android for flexibility. If you want the better "smartPHONE" though, go WP7.

Spiify

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
The over 20mb thing is possibly true, I've had some podcasts say they were too large to come down over cell. I never thought twice about it since they mostly just sync over at night via WIFI while it's plugged in charging.

You'll have to excuse my incredulity on the second part. Who would own a smartphone but not a PC (Which costs about as much) or have WIFI at home? I mean at that point I don't think it matters what smartphone you're using, life sucks for you. :p But at this time the most open platform is Android, that's just how it is. If a smartphone is all you have for a "computer" then I'd have to recommend Android for flexibility. If you want the better "smartPHONE" though, go WP7.

I understand trust me, even I had thoughts about having a smartphone and not having a cp or wifi. After having a smartphone for a year or over it's hard to turn back. Android seems like the logical choice for me but it has also gave me alot of headaches. I rememerbed a few more questions.

1-2. Is there a free turn by turn navigation app like google maps on WP7.

2-2. I like to listen to Pandora, I understand there is no app yet for WP7. What are some apps like it on WP7.

Sorry for all the simple questions but I know no one with a Windows Phone almost every one I know has a Android phone, or a iPhone. Thanks for all the replys.

GazooAz

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Spiify the Lumia phones have Nokia drive which is a free turn by turn voice guided nav.

A lot of folks seem to like Metro Radio.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Grooveshark html5 website streams into the music hub drop down interface as well. I've heard TA maps is awesome, but I think its a couple bucks. Sprint gives you telenav for free I believe. You might also consider using zune pass which integrates really well , though its 10 a month and you seem to be on a budget.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I know most people don't really like it, but Bing Maps, which is built into WP7, has pretty decent navigation. You have to tap the screen to get the next direction, but it works in a pinch. As for Pandora, Radio Controlled or MetroRadio. I prefer Radio Controlled, but they are both pretty good. Or there is always Slacker.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I know android has it's faults, but for someone without an internet connection at home it's probably the best type of phone to get. WP and iPhone both require a internet for updates and stuff.

Sent from my Windows7 Phone using Board Express

Spiify

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I know android has it's faults, but for someone without an internet connection at home it's probably the best type of phone to get. WP and iPhone both require a internet for updates and stuff.

Sent from my Windows7 Phone using Board Express

That is what I'm starting to think. Pretty muh anyone I visit has WIFI and has a computer though. I like Android don't get me wrong but it seems having a more open os has it's downsides also.

I used to hate the look of WP7 but after watching videos of it in action it's starting to grow on me. I do own a iPod touch so I am used to having to update and such through a pc. Wich that leeds me to another question how does WP7 compare to iOS. Thanks for all the replys and sorry for the many questions.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I made the switch from Verizon to T-Mobile prepaid a few months ago. Since then I have been using a flip phone. Since I like the service enough it's time to upgrade. I have been using Android devices for the past year,and it has been a love and hate situation. I'm trying to decide between going back to Android or trying Windows Phone. I'm tired of the unstableness of Android but I have some concerns with Windows Phone

1. I hear IE9 is pretty limited. My main concern you can not download files from the web. Is there a 3rd party app of browser that fixes this?

2. I'm somewhat of a gamer and I hear Windowa Phone is lacking here, what are your thoughts on this?

3. I hear it is somewhat complicated to put custom ringtones and message tones on Windows Phone, is this true?

I have other questions and concerns but those are the ones I can think of right now. Thaks for replys in advance.

i have had top of the line androids, several wp7's, and iphone 4... i can say from personal experience windows phones certainly provide the best overall user experience. and for me they do everything i need and more. sure iw would tweek a few things but those will come in time, hopefully the next big update.

as far as games go, wp7 offers some of the best games on any mobile platform, primarily the xbox live titles... great graphics and run very smooth, also have achievments!!!

the internet files and ringtone questions have already been answered.

pandora is also very nice, but i prefer iheart radio anyway, offeres a much larger selection of music in its streaming library, there is also tunein radio, slacker, grooveshark, last fm, and many more... so you wont miss pandora.

turn by turn nav is also included in bing maps, you do have to touch the screen , but only to get it to verbally tell you when to turn next. but there are many third party apps that preform just as good if not better than google maps. garmin has an app , it is pricey but essentially turns your phone into a garmin nuvi!

so to answer your question, id go with a windows phone and never look back again... just be patient with the things we cant do YET.... updates are coming, and im telling you... this is the next big thing!

wp7 vs ios, well i just got rid of an iphone 4 to come back to windows phones... if that tells you anything. the both operate very smooth, but the UI of windows phone is far superior, and it completes my microsoft ecosystem, in that i own a windows based pc and an xbox 360...

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
1. Torrent buddy

2. Xbox live lacking games? ROLF!! no seriously , it only lacks because its still new.
WP7 WILL, with 100% GUARANTY surpass ALL other OS on gaming in the long run. WHY you ask? simple: Xbox +PC ecosystem. only other OS i can say have better games is Iphone , android games SUCK = lagy , buggy , crash , not stable , fragmented.. malware.. LOL

3: i have *riders of the Storm* ( the doors ) as my ring tone. you can, but you cant set it up to individual numbers.

Spiify

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the replys. This is a tough desicion. After deciding on a os I then need to choose the phone. Having T-Mobile if I decided on a Windows Phone it would be between the Nokia Lumia 710 and HTC Radar 4G. Any opinions on these two phones? Sorry for asking so many questions but I want to make the right choice.

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
id go with the RADAR but honestly your best bet is, go into a store and see witch one YOU like better.

- look of it
- feel of it
- some specs are different ( memory , camera, screen size ect.. )
- price ( if an issue )

i think Nokia also get SOME EA games faster then other Devices , so if you like to get games it could be good to go with the NOKIA.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss