February is Fitness Month Week 3 and 4

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
Ready for week 3? Now you have a choice, you can take what you were doing for week 1 or week 2 and increment them another notch, or you can add a third goal to your first two. Again, whichever way you go, it should be challenging enough that it takes some effort to do it, but not so challenging that you give up before you really get going. Here are some examples.

Nutrition

Start eating reasonable (smaller!) portion sizes.
If that's too easy, start mixing in higher nutrient foods, like fruits and veggies.

A week is 6 days, you get a cheat day at the end! While all food counts towards the total amount of calories you eat, some give you better nutrient value than others. Try some more nutritious choices!

Strength training

Do 3 sets of 25 pushups, 25 sit ups, and 25 squats every morning right when you get up. If that's too easy, do 4 sets.

You can start with 1 set and work up to 2, or 3 sets and work up to 4. The important thing is to get going! Depending on your fitness level, you can also add other body weight exercises, like chin ups, lunges, crunches, etc. to mix things up and keep them fresh.

Cardio training

Do 20 min. of cardio, 4 times during the week. It can be running, dancing, martial arts, rope skipping, jumping jacks, anything. If that's too easy, do 30 min. at a slightly higher intensity.

You can run for as long as you can and then walk, for example, if you need to, but you want to try to run -- or do whatever cardio activity you're doing -- for longer each time until you get to the full time.

For example, you can start doing some higher intensity cardio during the length of a TV commercial and work your way up to the length of a TV segment between commercials.

Ready...? Set...? GO!

What's your goal for week 3 going to be? Pick it and stick it in a reply below, then come back every day and let us know how you're progressing! If you're doing well, share your story and help keep us inspired. If you're having trouble, ask questions and we'll be there to help.

The important thing is to do and to keep doing. Pick something attainable and then attain it!

Oh, and remember you could win an Xbox 360 with Kinect! We're also having weekly prize drawings for WPCentral Accessory Store gift cards as well. Winners will be selected at random from those who post about their fitness quest in these discussions.

Speaking of which, we'd like to congratulate Baseballbert for being selected this weeks gift card winner! We'll be reaching out to Baseballbert later today on how to claim his prize!

Good luck with it and let us know how your fitness month is going!

Last edited:

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
Welcome to week four of the Mobile Nations Fitness Month! We're entering the home stretch and to keep things easy, we'll stick with the same goals we set for week three.

Let us know how you're doing and any tips you might have to offer on shedding the pounds and getting fit.

Remember, we'll draw one lucky winner from all the posts in this and the Week One/Two discussion who will win a Xbox 360 with Kinect. We will also draw two runners up. One to take home a Nokia Luna Bluetooth Headset and the other a gift certificate to the WPCentral Accessory Store!

Speaking of which, this week's prize winner is:

coffeemike

We're reaching out to coffeemike on how to claim his $50 gift certificate to the WPCentral Store.

coffeemike

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
All about the food

Sweet! I could use more encouragement and reasons for change.

My wife and I are committed to eating better. Better food, better portions. This has opened up whole new worlds to me as a cook.

Rather than just give a goal, I'll share a bit about the food. Lunch today was a spinach and white bean hummus. Takes about 10 minutes to make, and it makes plenty.

In a food processor or blender, put in big bunch of spinach (2-3 cups, loosely packed). Add a couple of cans of white beans - I used a mix of cannelini and butter beans, but any will work. (Drain and rinse them first.) Throw in a couple of cloves of garlic, juice of a lemon, salt, and about 1/4 C olive oil. Process until smooth - may need to add a little water to get it to the right consistency.

Done! That and some celery sticks, and I can do away with cheeseburgers. (Well, for the most part.)

ShortStuff

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Alrighty week 3. I'm gonna increase my strength training. I did cardio the first week and start strength trading last week and im doing great. I've already love 6 pounds from these challenges. But if u include from the start of 2012 then I've lost 13lbs. ^_^ I think this is gonna be the year when I finally gett my weight back under control! I'm super excited! Thanks for helping keep me motivated wpcentral ^.^

coffeemike

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Good job, both of you! Excellent to hear - keeps me on track. (I'm down 11 lbs. since the start of the year through better eating.)

Our go-to easy weeknight meal is roast cauliflower. Take a head of cauliflower, break into florets, cut those in quarters. Toss with a little oil and salt, and put in a single layer in a roasting pan. Pop in to a 425F oven for 25-30 minutes, stirring every so often - you want them to brown evenly. They're done when the look nicely browned. We fight over seconds, and there's never leftovers.

Now, to find time to add exercise to the mix....

coffeemike

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
(George & everyone, you said come back every day, so I'm back every day. If this gets to be too much monologue, call me on it and I'll spread it out - but where are the other fitness fans?)

Today's my cheat day. Started with a donut, ended with frozen yogurt, and some killer pork carnitas nachos in the middle. Yeah. And the week resets tomorrow....

paulbram

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Ok. I've been quiet since week 1 (been busy at work). Anyway, I'm doing pretty well. This is the start of week 3 with absolutly ZERO wheat based products. It's amazing how you are forced into eating healthy by simply eliminating one simple ingredient! Turns out wheat is in absolutely EVERYTHING that is processed/bad for you.

Anyway, I'm down 12 pounds so far! I started at 212 and this morning my scale read 200.2! Doh, so close to breaking that 200 marker I can taste it!

Speaking of tasting... I'm not exactly following the "smaller portion sizes" guidance. I'm eating tons, lots and lots of meat/eggs and as much saturated fat as I can find! :D

Turns out consuming fat has absolutely nothing to do with storing fat! Night and day... What causes us to store fat can pretty much be summed up by high blood sugar. Keep your blood sugar down, weight comes off easily!

Turns out there's a name for this type of eating. It's called "Paleo". Look it up...

Down side? I'm driving my wife absolutely crazy! :confused:

coffeemike

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Paleo - good choice.

My wife and I are doing 4 Hour Body; she basically woke up one day and decided to change her eating habits entirely (literally. overnight.) and we're both finding it to be *sustainable*.

Many of these choices - paleo, atkins, south beach, 4HB - are all based around the idea of dropping the amount of [refined|total] carbs that we eat. In our case, we've replaced those with tons of vegetables. I mean lots. Everything I can get my hands on.

Example - tonight's dinner is going to be braised greens in the pressure cooker. I figure I should be able to get good results fairly quickly and have a big bowl of delicious waiting at the end.

EDIT: I'm food obsessed, but where are all the exercisers? Who is out there moving more? Vincentw56 is the only one?

coffeemike

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
SWEET! Thanks, you guys! :lol:

The healthy eating continues. Tomorrow, I'm in the kitchen making chicken stock to go into a cauliflower and leek soup, and later braising greens with turkey and roasted garlic sausage for dinner.

One thing that's really helped me is to keep a tub of heat-and-eat food for breakfast. I'll chop up some veggies and herbs the night before so when I'm 1/4 awake in the morning, I can just throw some in a pan, heat up, scramble in a couple of eggs, and go. If I don't have to think about it, I'm likely to eat better.

Harriet03

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I've lost another 2 pounds this week and still working out!

vincentw56

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Still losing weight. I've been doing more walking now. I've always lifted weights and have done so for about 5 years. Now working on losing weight and I'm now down 35lbs.

coffeemike

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Down another pound over the last week! I had a bit of a break from the eating habits while my parents visited, but it was actually not too bad to stay on track.

Y'all - Butternut squash soup. Can't be easier. Start by rendering some bacon in a pan. Add a quart of chicken stock, salt, pepper, and one or two butternut squashes (peeled, de-seeded, cut into chunks). Simmer until soft. Puree with a blender, stir in some butter to finish, and taste for seasoning. Out of this world.

Here's to better eating! :D

elisaur

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
getting in shape!

Added the third goal and started hitting the gym more often. 4 times a week and a mountain bike ride on Saturdays using sports tracker app to keep an eye on my stats. Lost 5 lbs so far just cutting carbs. Keep it going guys!

ShortStuff

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Good job, both of you! Excellent to hear - keeps me on track. (I'm down 11 lbs. since the start of the year through better eating.)

Our go-to easy weeknight meal is roast cauliflower. Take a head of cauliflower, break into florets, cut those in quarters. Toss with a little oil and salt, and put in a single layer in a roasting pan. Pop in to a 425F oven for 25-30 minutes, stirring every so often - you want them to brown evenly. They're done when the look nicely browned. We fight over seconds, and there's never leftovers.

Now, to find time to add exercise to the mix....
You should try mashed cauliflower wit olive oil and salt its a good sub for mashed potatoes :)

ShortStuff

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
my February fitnes journey

Alright its tile to write in for my last week of the February challenge. I meant to do this way soon but had gotten got up with work. Alright here we go.

Let's talk a bit about the bad first. During week 3 I did a horrible job with my strength training. I only completed 2 days this week due to being busy and im very disappointed with myself. I usually take care of it in the morning but do to some coworkers have been getting called in to work morning shifts lately :(

On the other had I have plenty of good new to share. The most exciting is I tried a Zumba class for the first time and while a cant dance to save my life I still really enjoyed it and was thankful for a new way to get some cardio in (running and walking can get boring) My second bit of good new comes withmt week 4 goal. I chose to practice portion control. And have been very successful in doing so. From this week alone ive lost 3lbs.In total that's a willing 9lbs this month and 16lbs for the start of the year yay!! ^_^ im abpit to break the 150lb area(im quite short so that's alot of weight) and will soon be in the 140s :) I couldn't have done it wothought wpcentral and everyone support on this forum. Thanks everyone and happy losing month haha :D

ShortStuff

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Down another pound over the last week! I had a bit of a break from the eating habits while my parents visited, but it was actually not too bad to stay on track.

Y'all - Butternut squash soup. Can't be easier. Start by rendering some bacon in a pan. Add a quart of chicken stock, salt, pepper, and one or two butternut squashes (peeled, de-seeded, cut into chunks). Simmer until soft. Puree with a blender, stir in some butter to finish, and taste for seasoning. Out of this world.

Here's to better eating! :D
thanks for the great tip. I'm definitely going to use this one its sounds yummy to my tummy :p

ShortStuff

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Added the third goal and started hitting the gym more often. 4 times a week and a mountain bike ride on Saturdays using sports tracker app to keep an eye on my stats. Lost 5 lbs so far just cutting carbs. Keep it going guys!
dang mountain biker eh? Your a trouper ^.^ That sound intense. I've never done it before there sent much mountains here in Hawaii that were allowed to go on :/ but I really am determined to give that a try :)