Hello all! - I was browsing the web the other day and saw a product that waterproofs your phone's electronics. I got distracted, left my station and returned with a cleared browsing session. I cannot find this product for the life of me. I live in Seattle and this would be perfect for those rainy days. Anyone know the product?

Also, I'm thinking about getting insurance for my phone... any recommendations?

Thanks!
    02-18-2012 02:11 PM
    Hello all! - I was browsing the web the other day and saw a product that waterproofs your phone's electronics. I got distracted, left my station and returned with a cleared browsing session. I cannot find this product for the life of me. I live in Seattle and this would be perfect for those rainy days. Anyone know the product?

Also, I'm thinking about getting insurance for my phone... any recommendations?

Thanks!
    All I know of is Liquipel, but they only seem to waterproof certain devices, not just any cell phone. There are a couple other companies, but I think one was not selling yet, and the other was looking to work with manufacturers to waterproof devices as part of the manufacturing process.

And as for insurance/extended warranty, I know of EnSquared, SquareTrade, Worth Ave, SafeWare, and Phone Guard Global. I haven't used any though, so I can't recommend any at the moment. Hopefully someone has experience with one of these companies.
    02-18-2012 04:35 PM
    This might help. Go to the 25min market in episode #29 in the Engadget show.

The Engadget Show

this might take you right to the relevant part of the video

"The Engadget Show - 29: Red Cameras, MakerBot and the coo..." - Videos - Viddler
    02-18-2012 05:02 PM
    You mean waterproof coding?

02-18-2012 05:18 PM

Yeah that was one of the other companies, but they're not selling it to us. They're selling it to manufacturers it seems.
    02-18-2012 05:20 PM
    I used Squaretrade for a laptop, the cooling fan died after 16 months. The process was quick and painless (well, formatting and restoring to stock was a pain, I kept it on freeze paks during the process lol) had the money (full value!) in my account within days. Their ratings are pretty high too, so I think they are legit.
    02-18-2012 05:54 PM
    I have no idea how it works, but it seems like a process more than just a case. You send them your device, they do their thing and then they send it back to you. It's available for purchase now.

Liquipel | Waterproof Your Cell Phone, No Case Required!

They are only doing certain models. Looks VERY cool though! I would be inclined to do it to my next device if they were to add WP phones. ;-)
    03-13-2012 08:47 PM
    1. Buy Ziploc bag
    2. Place phone in bag
    3. Seal bag
    4. ?????
    5. Waterproof phone!

Sent from my T9295 using Board Express
    03-14-2012 10:46 PM

"coating"
    03-15-2012 10:20 AM
    I remember an article where somebody was working on a hydrological coating for cell phones with carbon nanotubes which would allow air pressure to keep the moisture from actually reaching the surface of the device or completely bounce away.
    03-15-2012 10:22 AM
    Waterproofed

03-15-2012 10:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD